Find
Notify
Tools

Special hat for African safari???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Howdy,

I've see numerous photos of hunters on Safari in Africa with a nice looking hat with a Zebra skin band.

Anyone know where you can buy these in the USA? I've seen them for sale in J-Burg Airport but never bought one.

Adios and Thanks

Sport

Posts: 103 | Location: Central PA | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know, but Tilley does make some dark green/khaki hats (I'm a Texan, but a Tilley is hard to beat for a good outdoor hat to bang around while hunting...) A Reistol might be a good idea -- certainly give some "history" to the hat...

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Those bush type hats are a pain in the behind to hunt with in the thorn bush or riding in the back of a cruiser going to and from areas. I've taken one once and wore it only one day. I'm a ball cap guy all the way. The zebra hat would be neat around the US, though.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a hat band made from my first Zebra and I use it on different wide brimed hats here in the state, as Bwanna stated they can be a pain in the thick bush and like him I am a ball cap kind of guy, but the wide brimmed hat with a zebra band are nice for photos gives one the cool retro look, eh. I used a leather shoe string to keep mine on while ride the back of the truck.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Tilley hats are the best. You can easily get a camera or gun strap over one & off again. They also stay in place in the back of a Land Rover going 55 mph.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got to look the part in the bush.... Roll Eyes
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I love my Tilley hat.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I'm a baseball cap guy and I burnt my ears real good. My next trip will be with at least a Tilley or a cowboy hat. The Tilley with it's two straps will stay on in 40 MPH winds.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Sunscreen and a ball cap for me.

Both trips I also took a wide-brimmed hat, but I look silly in them and I never wore them hunting.

Stewart Granger I am not... Frowner

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A boonie hat, either military or after market, works great. They have chin straps to keep them in place in the back of the trucks and the strap can be pulled up and tucked into the loops on the band to get it out of teh way as you walk. Cabelas has several to choose from and you can find then at any army surplus store. There brim tends to be about an inch larger than a tiley to give you a little better sun coverage, but that may only be in theory.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget a pith helmet! Cool, and looks COOOOL, but noisy in brush country, take it off for the final stalk, then nothing is in the way.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
west marine has a good selection of hats to keep you out of the sun I buy cotton canvas and dye it green. has a sweat band built in and good strap to eithe fold the sides up or hold it on your head. I liked it in africa so much I hunt and do outdoor stuff in it all the time.

acording to capstick if you want to be a super "dud" show up in a wide brim hat with an animal print band on it. kinda the pocket protector of bwanas

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A wide brimed hat is far cooler in Africa than a bret. hammering

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Howdy,

http://www.hatsinthebelfry.com/page/H/CTGY/safari-hats

Lots of neat Safari hats out there but I want the freaking Zebra skin band. I can also find a snake skin band easier than the Zebra skin - if I have to, I will pick one up in Jo-Burg next May.

I have a Tilley that I too like very much but I generally hunt in a baseball style hat. I save the Tilley for the annual beach vacation with the perfect wife.

I'm not really a "Pith Hat" type of guy althought my wife sometimes tells me "I'm a real Pither".

Adios and enjoy the day.

Sport

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
You will probably have to pick it up in Jo'burg next year. I don't know of any available here in the United States. However, you might be able to pick one up at the SCI Convention in January in Reno, if you are trying to get one sooner.

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Have you considered a solar powered hat with a fan?

animal

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill C:
Have you considered a solar powered hat with a fan?

animal

clap

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
Personally I like boonie hats.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't laugh at that solar powered hat. I used one often during my skydiving career while packing my rig in the hot Florida sun.

You glue a strip of foam just inside the front sweatband, soak it with water and the fan prevents your brain from broiling. It ain't exactly Stewart Granger or great bwana, but it works and works well.

I use a boonie hat for hunting. Beats baseball caps because it protects the tops of your ears from broiling.

Wouldn't be caught dead in a zebra hatband.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Have to admit, I've turned into a boonie hat wearer, also. Used to go with just baseball caps, but burnt ears and skin cancer on the face have stopped that completely.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't laugh at that solar powered hat. I used one often during my skydiving career while packing my rig in the hot Florida sun.

Were you that old guy living in the VW microbus on the drop zone at Z-Hills back in the late 1980's?

Posts: 308 | Location: Dallas,Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMO: If you want to make sure you are a walking "Dork Alert" get off the plane as you arrive in Africa wearing a Stewart Granger hat with zebra hat band and a matching safari outfit from Cabels's/Orvis etc. Actually wear whatever makes you happy and comfortable but remember the less attention you draw to yourself the less likely you may be to be targetted by pickpockets etc.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post

I've got some Zebra hide to replace the cloth band, for you!

jumping jumping jumping

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
IMO: If you want to make sure you are a walking "Dork Alert" get off the plane as you arrive in Africa wearing a Stewart Granger hat with zebra hat band and a matching safari outfit from Cabels's/Orvis etc.

Exactly!! If you don't believe it, see below. Roll Eyes

NEVER BOOK A HUNT WITH JEFF BLAIR AT BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING!

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Howdy,

There it is - I knew someone on this site would remember a photo of a hat with a Zebra skin band.

I kinda like the solar powered Pith helmet now however.

I really need the zebra skin band so that I can attach a couple of Elk ivories and two swizzle sticks from my Brown bear and Black bear - then I will feel very comfortable coming off the plane in Jo-Berg.

I've never been able to make it to the Safari convention - I do enjoy the magazine very much.

Maybe I can find something on this web site-
http://www.thefedorastore.com/?Click=2

Adios

Sport

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Hey Sport: What are brown and black bear "swizzle sticks"? I got the elk ivory idea ok Eeker, but have never heard of "swizzle sticks" from black and brown bear Confused. Are they bearclaws?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sport, isn't there a custom hat maker were you live? I just got back from Namibia and I wore a 10 year old hate that was made by our local guy. I'm too prone to sunburn for ball caps and my old hat did just fine.

Josh

Posts: 304 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 01 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry wasn't a "hate" it was a "hat."

Josh

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Josh A.:
Sorry wasn't a "hate" it was a "hat."

Josh

Aww...come on Josh, we all know in West Texas it is pronounce "hate"! Wink
Gary

Political correctness entails intolerance for some prejudices but impunity for others. James Taranto

Posts: 152 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gary, I had to read that twice before I got it. When I did I nearly dropped my laptop laughing. Now that's funny, I don't care who you are!

Josh

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
rotflmo

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
UEG,

Penal bone AKA swizzle stick.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Howdy,

Well, if you ever get to hunt and shoot a male bear - "Boar" they call them in Alaska they have a "bone" in the penis - heck of a trophy.

Keep in mind the kind of guy I am, last year I went fly fishing in the Illiamna area(Gibralter and Copper River area to be exact) of Alaska and my Lamson "Litespeed" was in a case made out of my Cape Buff scrotum-made a very nice conversation piece.

I forgot to mention a couple of requirements for this hat and hat band-
1. The hat must stay on my head when I'm shooting updside down-seems to be important for rifles that you take to Africa based on some of the comments/threads on this web site I've read over the years. So, I will be taking at least one M70 and probably a 1903 A3 in 338-06.
2. The hat band must have three positions - one position to keep the band in position when the hat is locked in place, one position so that the hat band can be removed without removing the hat and one position that allows the hat to be worn without the band. Now if the hat is a reworked military version I can accept a band with only two positions.

This has been enjoyable conversation on an otherwise hectic day in the office. Just got done cutting the grass while enjoying a Toro maduro Gispert.

Adios

Sport

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wear an Akruba here and in africa; buy the open crown model and crease it the way you want, only had it snagged on bush a couple of times

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
FYI for you basball cap guys- the top of the ear is one of the more common places to develope malignent melanoma, a usually fatal skin cancer caused by repeated sun exposure. is having your wide brimmed hat blow off while riding or hiking more important than your life?

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13399 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
They have one for sale here: http://www.waldenbork.com/lady_access.html

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sport, Jdollar a well fitted custom hat does not fall off when the wind blows or you dip your head upside down. A good custom, like at least 20x and better yet 100%, is built to exactly fit the shape of your head. Good fit, not discomfort. It should stay in place through just about anything without a stampede string.

If you don't believe a good hat will stay on through quite a bit of disturbance, watch a few minutes of PBR bull riding or a team roping event.

A good hat can be pretty expensive but they are well worth the cost if you get used to wearing a good one.

Josh

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Howdy Josh,

Thanks for the tip - one google search and I think I might have found a keeper -

http://www.randhats.com/cgi-bin/randscat/126-Safari.html

What do ya think???

Adios

Sport

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Hey Sport: What are brown and black bear "swizzle sticks"? I got the elk ivory idea ok Eeker, but have never heard of "swizzle sticks" from black and brown bear Confused. Are they bearclaws?

Penius Bone, Stir my Bookers with B&C Grizz... smooth slidin

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
call me cheap, but paying $400 and up( WAY UP) for a hat that that i will have soaking wet and stained with sweat within a few days just doesn't make sense. i would rather spend $25 for the hat and use the other $375 for one more trophy fee.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13399 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote