THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Early season in the Eastern Cape/Karoo

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Early season in the Eastern Cape/Karoo
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
It looks like my wife and I will soon be booking our first trip to RSA (in the Eastern Cape/Karoo). Tentatively we are planning to go in 2019. My question is related to timing in the year....

We would like to go as early in the year as possible. When would you guys advise going? Is March/April too early? What is the weather like at that time of year? I know the Kudu rut is usually later....but are there any other factors we should be considering?

My wife does not hunt, but will do a combination of activities including shopping, sight-seeing, and tagging along with me on a few hunts.

Target species will be:

Black Wildebeest
Blesbok
Blue Wildebeest
Bushbuck
Kudu
Grey Duiker
Impala
Mt. Reedbuck
Hartebeest
Springbok
Steenbok
Warthog
*possibly Nyala

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Talk to your outfitter about the Kudu rut in the area you'll be hunting. Late April to the end of May would be the time frame I'd be looking to book if you want to catch the rut.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2326 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wade, that's pretty early...vegetation will still be lush, and rains are quite possible. It might be OK in open areas, but when I hunted the Eastern Cape, it was hilly and thick...might hurt game visibility.

Posts: 20156 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is Eastern Cape in early May..quite green, but between my wife and I we took 20+ animals on a 10 day hunt. I've been on 5/6 different Ranches there and animals are plentiful. You shouldn't have a hard time with your desired animals.

Do you have an outfitter in mind? I would highly recommend Ezulu/Swartkei Safaris... Ezulu

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ps...the earlier you go the more ticks there will be...not a huge deal if you prepare properly, unfortunately I didn't and more than half of our hunting party came down with African Tick-bite fever a few days after returning home. A good dose of antibiotics cleared it up, but not before suffering through some extremely sweaty nights.

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Wade,
Kudu rut is generally May and early June. The great thing about the Cape is the weather is usually pretty nice from May on...

I have hunted with Russell Lovemore of Safaris International but there are a number of good outfitters there. Blauwkrantz being one of the best as well. Check the Hunt Reports and visit outfitters in Dallas at DSC. You will connect with the right outfit for you and the missus.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7557 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
I hunted the cape the first two weeks of July and it was perfect in regards to hunting. Light jacket weather. Not ideal temp for your wife to lounge by a pool but perfect hunting weather.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the responses so far guys.

I have been doing quite a bit of research...and I plan on booking with Victor Watson of Karoo Wild Safaris. He posts here from time to time.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest moving Nyala from *possible to a *must have animal. I took a look at his website and his prices are very reasonable.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Victor and Lindsay Watson at Karoo Wild Safaris showed my wife and I a great hunt the second week of last June. In seven days hunting, I took a nyala, warthog, kudu, gemsbok, and black wildebeest. Muffed an easy shot on an impala, and could have taken other species if I'd wanted them. My wife only hunted half the days; the other days Lindsay took her seeing various sites.

Posts: 6754 | Location: Coeur d' Alene, Idaho, USA | Registered: 08 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Upton O. Good
posted Hide Post
Eastern Cape is an incredible place with huge variation in biomes and wildlife. I hope you'll set time aside to take in some scenery, maybe visit the coast, and Addo Elephant park.

As for price list, except for baboon and jackal, the prices look good.

I hunted the Eastern Cape twice and took springbok, gray duiker, steenbok, bushbuck, nyalla, vervet monkey, and Egyptian geese. I passed on a 55inch kudu, I already had one.

As for timing, March and April are warmer, I was there in May and the weather was good, cooler.

I'll look forward to reading your report.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I also recommend Swartkei Safaris, Ive hunted with and booked hunts for Phillip and Charles and there are no better PHs in Africa. I knew his whole family and no finer people can be found..

Vegitation can be heavy but that depends on where you hunt, Some of that country is high mountain range, some is lower veld and more like Texas hill country.

As to timing, in RSA, its not near as critical as in other countries and success is pretty much guaranteed whenever and wherever you go...In the higher elevations it can snow, but it can do that in Texas!! and being from Idaho a little snow bothers me not, and they rain Ive hunted in there wasn't that bad. Figure the season there is just about the opposite as it is in the USA..

Bottom line is if you have a good Safari company you will do well.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote