Notify
Tools

Wildebeasties.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted
Guys,

I have to admit to being a little confused as to the different types of Wildebeast. When originally planning my safari I wasn't too keen on them as a quarry species, but now I'm changing my mind.

I really like the one that Saeed shot on his 2004 DVD but I am not sure if it is a blue black or orange!!

Can someone show some photos of the different types pease.

Eight days to go and I still can't make my mind up on what I want to shoot!!

Regards,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
I don't have any pictures to show you...

but think hard about the blue wildabeast, it has a beautifull brindled coat that makes a great rug. I am planning on getting one when I am back in TZ in 2006.

Good Hunting

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Fallow Buck

Saeed shot a Nyasa Wildebeest

There are 5 different Wildebeest:

Black, Blue, Cookson, Nyasa, And White bearded

Where are you hunting?

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As 416 said where you are hunting will determine the subspecies available. I thinkl only in southeran Africa can you take both the Blue and Black. The others are indiginous to specific geographic areas.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Black Wildebeest:

Blue Wildebeest:

And the VERY rare Lesser Chobe Spiral-horned Orange Wildebeest: Wink

Best of luck on your hunt,
Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FB

The guys are right. If your hunt is in Namibia or RSA only the black and blue (no pun intended) will be available. You want both if you can take them. The black is a completely unique looking animal and the blue is wild as heck and if not hit right the first time will soak up major bullets.

I still need the Nyasa myself but I have not figured out how justify a safari to the Selous just to get one.

Good Hunting,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the crookstons come from zambia & is basically a blue except for the colors on the hide being sort of a blue/gray background w/redish brown stripes. really quite attractive.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Wildebeests are a blast to hunt. I have both the Black and the Blue. Next year hope to add the White Bearded and Nyasa. They are truly clowns and alot of fun to watch. I suggest you add them to your wish list!

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
"....And the VERY rare Lesser Chobe Spiral-horned Orange Wildebeest..."

roflmao

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Wait a minute! I shot one that looks somewhat like that one down around the Limpopo! So that's what they are!!!!! Big Grin clap

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only place the Nyasaland Wildebeest exists is in Tanzania and maybe just in the Selous, can't remember for sure...He is the best of the Wildebeest IMO, his coloration is awesome...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Also the White tailed Gnu is a black wildebeest...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Who are you trying to kid Widowmaker???

That's OBVIOUSLY a picture of a bushbuck!!!

GEEEESSSHHH.... some people! Wink Wink

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Razzer

Widowmaker416

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was under the impression that there were only two types of wildebeests, blue and black, and everything else is a derivative of those.

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The following is a picture of a black wildebeeste taken in '96 with Chappie Scott in the Northern Cape:

The following is a picture of a blue wildebeeste taken in Namibia in 2000 at La Rochelle:

The following is a picture of two whitebearded wildebeeste taken last month in Tanzania, the first by me and the second by my son:

These are three of the five kinds of wildebeeste that are in Africa. Kudude

PS: Cookson's are found in Zambia and Nyassa's are found in Selous Tanzania.

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys,

The Blue has now been promoted on the wish list!!

Although the Limpopo spiral Horned Orange Beastie was already firmly esconed on the agenda!! Cool

The rets looks something like

Impala
Piggies
Zebra
KUDU
More piggies

Picking the rifle up tomorrow from the gunsmith after resolving some grouping problems, a couple of outings after some UK deer species to "test" the new ammo and thhen proceed to check in!!!

thanks for your help guys,

FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
IMO, the best looking wildebeast is the COOKSON'S WILDEBEAST! He is the largest, and has a silver, and black skin, with the very bold black stripes running vertically down the sides from the back of the ears to his withers. His mane, and tail are long, and jet black. A good one will have a 28, to 30" spread, with 12" bosses. His horns dip down almost like a Cape Buffalo, and then the tips of the horns turn back toward the butt, when viewed from the side! I have a 28" one taken in the Upper Lupande of Zambia's Luangwa Valley. These willies only exist in Zambia, and some in CAR! The Cookson's, and the black are my favorites! Wildebiest are animals often overlooked by the first time hunter on African Safari. He is a worthy animal, and can take some real punishment before giving up the ghost! It is nothing to see a big bull take a 300 gr 375 H&H bullet right through the boiler room, and run 300 yds before bitting the dust! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mac

I agree about the Cookson's being tough. I shot one and the first shot only got one lung. After that it was a running gun battle with 3 more hits including a Texas heart shot that finally did the job. I was using a 375 but I don't think a howitzer would have helped.

They do have a beautiful silver coloration but I like the looks of the Nyasa with that white blaze across his nose.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
I'm glad to see i'm no the only one withthe goal of a "Wildebeest Slam".

According to my African field guide book ( No, I've never been there) There are 2 species of Wildebeest. The Black is a separate species with no subspecies associated with it.

The other Wildebeest species has 4 subspecies including the blue wildebeest, the cooksen, the nyasa, and the white bearded.

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've only taken the blue variety and mine came easy. We bailed off the truck and made a short stalk and one shot from the .405 put him down.

The fun was watching Mike through the binos as he stalked, duckwalked, and crawled through briars and brambles for several hours trying to get a shot at a bull in a herd. He finally got a nice one but by that time was on his third herd. Several of the bulls we saw were as wild as any whitetail buck and amazingly fleet of foot.

If I ever go back I'd gladly shoot another of any flavor.

Rick R
Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most.

Posts: 162 | Location: On top of a mountain in WV | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Here's a Nyasa. They're the prettiest, with the white stripe across their faces--that is, if a wildebeest can be pretty at all!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13473 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote