Find
Notify
Tools

A Two Gun Question for Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I felt very comfortable with a 300 Weatherby and a 416 Rigby to cover all the bases. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
On all 3 of my Safaris to Zimbabwe I took a scoped 9,3x74R double rifle and a 450 No2 scoped double rifle, and a handgun as well.

On my last tripo I also took my wife, she took a 308 Blaser R 93 and a 450/400 3 1/4" double rifle with a scope in QD mounts, and we both took 12x12x30-06 drillings as well.

The 9,3 and the 450 No2 worked perfectly on the first 2 trips.

On the third I used the 9,3 and the 450/400 since it was the first time I had it in Africa. That pair worked great as well.

I did shoot a 3 animals with the 308 Blaser just to say I have taken game with it in Africa, but the 9,3 would have worked as well.

Since elephants are always my main game being hunted, I want both of my rifles to be elephant capable.

If you take a 338, [or whatever] just have a at least 10 or so solids.

If the solids hit the EXACT same place as my softs I would take more as they work great on the real small stuff with monimal hide damage.

How does the handgun permit work for Africa? If you are licensed to carry in the USA does that permit carry weight in RSA or Tanzania?

This might sound stupid but I plan to take a scoped .416RM and an iron sighted .458 Lott. The .416RM would be good on plains game and buff' depending upon distances and situations. Ideally I want to take cape buffalo with the .458 Lott and the open sights.
I sorta think being able to fall back to the .416RM on the buff' would be good.

I have options for PG; an 8x57, a .300H&H, a .338WM. Any of those 3 would be excellent for PG. Maybe the .300H&H with 200gr Nosler Accubonds for PG, would be the way to go.

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cazador2
posted Hide Post
In my safaris to Tanzania and Southafrica I brought my 30 06 and my 375 H&H with great results.
About two thirds of my shots were made with my 30 06, and many of them were 1 shot kills (kudu, nyala, gemsbok, waterbuck, oryx, red hartebest,sable,etc.)
Shotment place and good bullets made it posible.
I used the 375 H&H for dangerous game as buf, lion, leopard, eland, roan, zebra and for very small game with solids such as dikers, steinbuck, dik dik, etc.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Even though on both my safaris I brought a .404 Jeffery for the big stuff and a .300 Winnie for everything else, I think I will go with the "both big" school of thinking from now on -- probably a .458 Lott and a .375 H&H. The reason being that you can shoot dik dik, kudu, impala, eland etc., with a .375, but you can't shoot a buffalo or elephant with a .300 should the need arise.

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your answers.
I figured that there would be a vast array of responses to this question. I have always preferred a .458 caliber or above for dangerous game hunting as it is mostly done under 60 yards. I really like the .416 calibers for all-around usage on African game as they have the power necessary for the big ugly stuff up close but also have the stretch to reach plains game out to 200 yards or so with the 400 grain pills and out to 300 yards with the 350 grain projectiles. Another .375 H&H type round but with extra punch for the big stuff at close range. Pretty good for an elephant gun. Thanks again to all who answered.

jfm

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am taking just the Lott but wouldn't mind taking the 300RUM along also if the barrel was replaced.I would've liked to try the 200gr TSX out on zebra and antelope.I think the 300 RUM would be great for leopard also.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will be toting the twins in pre 64 375 and 300 H&H's to Zim a year from today.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karamojo Bill
posted Hide Post
I will be taking my .416 Rigby with 400gr softs for my lion & gemsbok. My .338 WM with 250 gr Nosler particians for impalla, kudu, blesbok, & maybe sable......My wife will take my .22-250 for jackals & baboons....yes, I checked that it is leagal in RSA.

Karamojo Bill

At then end of my time here, I want to come skidding through the Pearly Gates & hear God say, "Whoa Boy, that was a hell of a ride!"

Posts: 118 | Location: Margaritaville, Oregon | Registered: 30 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
Hello

My combination would be, if I were to hunt antelope of all sizes excluding dangerous animals: 338 Winchester Magnum and the 375 H & H Magnum.

Should include elephant, Cape buffalo, rhino and Hippopotamus, which certainly, the 375 H & H Magnum for large antelopes and 416 for hazardous Rigby.

Greetings,

Oscar.

I am Spanish

My forum:www.armaslargasdecaza.com

Posts: 1131 | Location: Spain (Madrid) | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muygrande:
I will be toting the twins in pre 64 375 and 300 H&H's to Zim a year from today.

Hello Muygrande:

With that combination
Do you also to hunt elephant, buffalo and other dangerous animals?

Thank you,

Oscar.

I am Spanish

Posts: 1131 | Location: Spain (Madrid) | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My battery for a Buffalo-Plains game hunt in the Selous was a .358 STA with 270 grain North Forks at 2850 fps, and a .416 Rem with 370 grain North Fork softs and solids at 2450 fps. Both served me well and when I return all will be the same including the North Forks I managed to have on hand when Mike shut down. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oscar, no. Cape buff will be the largest and most dangerous on my trip. Would leave the 300 and take 416/458 rem if the others were on the bag.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oscar, no. Cape buff will be the largest and most dangerous on my trip. Would leave the 300 and take 416/458 rem if the others were on the bag.

Now I understand, you are in my opinion, for the buffaloes and other dangerous animals slightly larger than a 375 H & H Magnum, but I do a question in general,
Does that little is spoken of the sizes Weatherby in this forum?, I think a good option for a buffalo to the elephant and perhaps serious cartridge 378 Weatherby magnum

Thanks to everyone,

Oscar.

I am Spanish

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My choice for plains game: .270 Weatherby,
7mm Weatherby, .300 Weatherby, and .340 Weatherby. I would prefer the above in the Mark V Accumark. This would be for my wife and myself. As you can see I do like Weatherby's, even though Weatherby ammo is not readily avaiable in SA. We took these rifles in 2007 and shot 12 animals from a Steenbok to an Eland.

For dangerous game my choice would be the .416 Rigby in the Ruger 77 or a .460 Weatherby.

Posts: 120 | Location: Waterloo, Iowa | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i haven't been to Africa, but when i go i will probably take a
.458wm
9.3x62

Posts: 930 | Location: Norway | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to think that you had to have a plains game rifle and a 375 or larger. What I have found out is that the 375 is so versatile that it makes a great plains game rifle, really shines on the big antelope, with solids it is perfect for the little guys and it does great on buff etc. So to me the perfect 2 rifle battery where DG is on the menu would be a 375 of some variety and a 458 something with both being scoped. With this pairing if either rifle fails you can finsh your safari with the other rifle.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Up until 3 weeks ago I would have recommended a 375 H&H and a 30-06. I just returned from Botswana and buffalo (report to be filed shortly) and based upon the performance of my 404 jeffery I now would suggest a 404 jeffery and a 375 H&H.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am thinking out loud here: I have developed "floaters" which the doctor thinks may be the result of my shooting hard recoiling rifles (I was doing a good bit of work with the 458Win.) As a result, I will not be shooting big bores unless I plan to hunt large, dangerous animals or I am in country where I might bump into one.

If I were some place where there are no animals about which might hunt me, I want my 9.3x62 which I like slightly better than my 375HH's and I use in preference to the 30-06. My other rifle would depend upon what I was hunting.

If it were mostly smaller animals, I'd probably take a 308 bore or a mid-20's bore. If I were hunting larger animals, but not dangerous animals, I'd want my 9.3x74 as my heavy rifle and a 308 bore as my other rifle. If I were hunting lion, leopard, or buffalo, I'd feel well armed with my 9.3x74. I'd take my 375HH or 9.3.62 as a back up.

If I were hunting primarily elephant, then I'd want my 458 or 416 Howell plus my 9.3x74. I could use the double gun it I had to, but would use it mostly for small game. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote