New
Find
Notify
Tools

The one that got away
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Last June I had a terrific Leopard hunt with Dirk Rohrmann in Namibia. My wife recently reminded me that I never posted a report though.

I thought I would post a few pictures from the trip, my wife's first hunt in Africa and my first DG hunt.

My wife's first African animal, a terrific Oryx Bull

There where plenty of Leopards around

One of the baits

A hit

We brought a trail camera with us that had an IR flash, here are the first and only pictures we got of him. The next day we built a blind and then the weather turned against us. The temperature dropped to -10 Celsius at night for the next several nights and it even rained one day. After many cold hours in the blind over the next several nights, no other leopards came in. That's hunting.

The one that got away...

The shot I have dreamed of for years

Well he is still there and I'm saving up for another trip.

Success comes in many forms. I'll never forget the look on my wife's face after her great shot on her Oryx, nor will I ever forget sitting in the blind those evenings, looking up at the Southern Cross, listening to every sound in the bush and waiting on pins and needles for him to come in. That is what hunting is all about!

Thanks again Dirk, It was a great hunt!

"I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary and the grim."
Theodore Roosevelt, Khartoum, March 15, 1910

Posts: 250 | Location: Central Massachusetts | Registered: 02 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Gemsbok! I can remember those night sounds and the beautiful stars. Thanks for bringing back the memories. Some of the best hunts don't end up with a kill.
I wish I had known warthogs climbed trees. I was always looking on the ground, I'm short and the grass was tall. I probably walked under a bunch of them.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted Hide Post
quote:

I wish I had known warthogs climbed trees. I was always looking on the ground, I'm short and the grass was tall. I probably walked under a bunch of them.
Bfly

HA!

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting the pictures and your comments. That's true hunting for sure.