New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help for plains game trip
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been trying to book a plains game trip (my first) for over two years now and just can't seem to find the right fit. I had one lined up but now he's full until 2008.

I would welcome recommendations and solicitations.

What I'm looking for is a small operation--nothing fancy even a farm house operation as this will be both a vacation and a hunting trip for me and my non-hunting wife. Namibia catches my eye.

The list of game I'm considering includes kudu, gemsbok, blesbok, impala, zebra, springbok, and I'm open to other animals.

I am on a budget, so cost is a major concern.

Terry Carr has been super helpful with all the information he has sent me. It is greatly appreciated.

Now it's time to find a hunt. Can you help me find the right one?

Posts: 284 | Location: Hayden, Colorado | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
You may want to talk to John La Sala http://www.africanhuntingadventures.com/
I have booked a South African hunt with John and know some folks who have had successfull hunts in Namibia through John.

John is a stand up guy.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Two places I like

Gras Ranch

Vaughan Fulton's Classic Safaris

Both operations have many good reviews on this board.

Let me know if I can help.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MAU MAU
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I hunted with Cruiser Safaris in RSA. I would highly reccomend them for a First time hunt to Africa. www.cruisersafaris.com

Posts: 227 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 9,3x74R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elkfitter:
I have been trying to book a plains game trip (my first) for over two years now and just can't seem to find the right fit. I had one lined up but now he's full until 2008.

What I'm looking for is a small operation--nothing fancy even a farm house operation as this will be both a vacation and a hunting trip for me and my non-hunting wife. Namibia catches my eye.

The list of game I'm considering includes kudu, gemsbok, blesbok, impala, zebra, springbok, and I'm open to other animals.

Terry Carr has been super helpful with all the information he has sent me. It is greatly appreciated.

Hi, i would try to contact Tony Kruger, Durban South Africa.

Tel: +27437307308
Mob: +27834270927
E.mail: krugerhunt@iafrica.com

He was my guide in 2003, and i can only say good things about him..

Try him.. I know you will NOT regret!

Regards
Alf Rino Hals
Norway.

Please forgive my "rusty" english..

Alf Rino Hals
Norway

Rino

Posts: 249 | Location: Oevre Eiker, Norway / Winterton RSA | Registered: 07 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brian simmons
posted Hide Post
http://www.swartkeisafaris.com/
give thes guys a try several people including hav used the price brothers and have ben very satisified

brian r simmons

Posts: 186 | Location: nj | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I hunted with Kalahari Hunting Safaris out of Aroab. I whole heartedly recommend you spend your money someplace else.

They are ranchers not PHs.

Rob Johnson had a hell of a good hunt at Okahanda Siebe, and I know that Gras Safaris is a good outfit.

Steinhausen ranch is also a good outfit, but mostly caters to Germans.

Send me an email and I will tell you the questions you need to ask your outfitter.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is the place I decided on: www.christiesadv.com.na. I haven't been there myself yet, so take it for what it's worth.

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
I can make a couple of suggestions.

I can vouch for Wendell's suggestion of Classic Safaris as I hunted with them last year and had a great trip.

My PH, Thorsten Meier, also does a lot of specialized trips including hunting/tours/sightseeing and could probably put something together that both you and your wife would enjoy. Ndandi Safaris

Another suggestion I can make is Hannes du Plessis/Bergzicht Game Lodge. I have not hunted with Hannes, but a good friend of mine has and had a great time. Have got to know Hannes from his visits here to the States and can say that he is a first class gentleman.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am taking my family hear in June. I have hunted with Ray twice and had a great time.Lalapa Safaris

I know June is booked, but I think they have some for July/August this year. Also most of 2007 has been booked.

Mike

Posts: 1093 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jorge400:
I can make a couple of suggestions.

I can vouch for Wendell's suggestion of Classic Safaris as I hunted with them last year and had a great trip.

My PH, Thorsten Meier, also does a lot of specialized trips including hunting/tours/sightseeing and could probably put something together that both you and your wife would enjoy. Ndandi Safaris

I hunted with Classic Safaris as well (my report is here, lots more pictures here) and I met Thorsten in camp where Jorge400 was finshing his hunt. If you want a traditional tented safari you should definitely give Classic Safaris a look. Some of the animals you listed would have to be taken on ranches rather than on the concessions Classic Safaris has, unless I am mistaken, but they can probably arrange that. From the time in camp with Thorsten he also seems to be a good guy to hunt with -- he certainly has the right gear and made sure that Jorge400 worked hard for good trophies. You would just have to coordinate where he is hunting as he is free-lance.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
Elkfitter
Have a look at my website, and contact me if you like real hunting.
www.huntingsafaris.net

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have numerous locations in Namibia that would suit you and your wife. Take a look at my web site at www.tjsafari.com

I still have some openings for 2006.

Todd

==============
Todd J. Rathner
The T. Jeffrey Safari Company
www.tjsafari.com
520-404-8096

Please visit our BLOG: http://www.tjsafari.com/blog.cfm

Posts: 341 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
elkfitter,

I have hunted with Mabelingwane three times (in 2000, 2002 and 2005).

http://www.mabelingwane.com/intro.asp

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have multiple friends who have hunted with Hagen and Hartmut at GAUSS HUNTING, in northern Namibia. About 2 hours from Etosha Park also, for excellent sightseeing. They have good trophy quality in a relaxed family atmosphere.

"www.gausshunt.com"

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
I can wholeheartedly recommend Francois Swanepoel in cental Namibia. It's not fancy, treated more like a houseguest than a client while there. Plenty of game in the areas he hunts, and they aren't very pressured. Prices are the best I've seen in Namibia.

franswa@mweb.com.na is his e-mail.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted at Farm Felseneck in Namibia 2 years ago. Had a great time. Helgaard is the PH/Manager. There is a report somewhere in African Hunting! PM for more information. Helgaard posts here, or used to, under a different name.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for an affordable plains game hunt Namibia is the place. You must be realistic, If you can't afford daily rates of $350-$450 a day and slightly higher trophy fees, Government concessions and or 5 stare lodges for out of the question. You can find some truly affordable Namibian guides and outfitters by going to the NAPHA web site. As a general rule outfitters that do not have Web sites charge less. If you are willing to do the research there are some truly affordable, great hunts out there.

napha@mweb.com.na

Robert Johnson

Posts: 599 | Location: Soldotna Alaska | Registered: 05 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
elkfitter, you have a pm.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
Elkfitter,
You have a PM

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cunningham
posted Hide Post
elkfitter,

Take a look at these guys: www.sesafaris.com

Let me know if they are of interest. Openings for 2006 for last part of September and all of October.

Global Sportsmen Outfitters, LLC
Bob Cunningham
404-802-2500

Posts: 580 | Location: I am neither for you or against you. I am completely the opposite. | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
I sent you a PM with a suggestion where I hunted last year in Namibia.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2597 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
Thank you for all the great advice. Please keep them coming.

Larry

Posts: 284 | Location: Hayden, Colorado | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
I had a very nice hunt with Sebra Hunting Adventures (Jan DuPlessis) in Namibia last August. The booking agent is Rick Wilks www.wilks-hunting-adv.com

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Blank. I have hunted with Gausshunt two times now. All of the animals that were taken, over 15, measured gold at SCI. They are two hours out of Etocha park, they arranged a trip for my wife and I to go there. We spent a week sight seeing the last time we were there and we did not have any problems at all. The accomidations are first rate. Private bedroom, bathroom guest house is only three or four years old and very comfortable. Go to their web soght and look for yourself. I had no problems taking my wife there at all. WWW.gausshunt.com

Posts: 428 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9,3x74R:
quote:
Originally posted by elkfitter:

Your English is very good. My German wife says only Americans can speak only one language. For the most part she is right. Do you realize how much it troubles me to admit she is right? An Americna with a college degree that still struggles to speak correct English

Hi, i would try to contact Tony Kruger, Durban South Africa.

Tel: +27437307308
Mob: +27834270927
E.mail: krugerhunt@iafrica.com

He was my guide in 2003, and i can only say good things about him..

Try him.. I know you will NOT regret!

Regards
Alf Rino Hals
Norway.

Please forgive my "rusty" english..

Alf Rino Hals
Norway

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote