New
Find
Notify
Tools

Get Me Close
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I believe different people hunt Africa for different reasons. Some come for the quantity of game. I've heard guys say " I shot 15 animals in 10 days". Some want their trophies to be in the record book. Others just want good Quality animals. As for me it's all about the hunt. I want a good stalk, to work into position for a good shot, and a mature animal. In the case of Dangerous game, especially Buffalo, and Elephant I want to get in close. In my opinion to shoot a Buffalo oe Elle. from 150 yrds takes away half of the experiance of the hunt.

quote:I think it's the job of the PH to put the client in a position to make a clean kill in the least dangerous situation possible. To provoke a charge for the thrill of it is just plain unethical and stupid. Sooner or later someone will get hurt.

At even 100 yards a Buff. or Elle. is still remote there is no contack with that animal. When you get in close, for me it seems to be about 25 yards I can litteraly feel that animals presence, and he probably mine. My pulse quickens and all my sences seem to amplify. Is this too risky and dangerous? I dont think so. At this distance, as Buzz Charlton states in his video "Hunting the African Elephant" With a brain shot it is easy for the PH to tell if the client has made a good shot or not. If the Elle drops you have probably hit the brain, or at least have time for another shot. If the Elle runs off the PH can put in a backup shot. With Buffalo the PH is close enough to judge if the shot was good and can respond accordingly. At further distances he will have to make a long shot at a running target.

In 2008 I was hunting Elephant with Brent Leesmay in Dandy North. I told Brent that I would like to try for a brain shot, and he said he would try. On day 4 we closed in on a bull, but he sensed us and started off so I had to take a heart shot whitch worked out fine. I was then offered the chance to hunt a Tuskless Cow and jumped at the oportunity. In 7 days we looked at over 200 Elephant. That was a wonderfull experiance by itself. About noon on tha last day Tinos, one of our trackers spotted a tuskless cow resting in the shade of a tree across a dry river bed about 40 yards away. Brent determined that it was a shootable tuskless cow, and asked if I would like to try for a brain shot. He explained that we would cross the river bed, go up the bank, and when we reached level ground he would get the cow's attention.When we reached the top of the bank Brent made a small noise. The cow apperently knew we were there because she emmediatley spun around and started towards us. I picked a spot and droped her at about 13 yards.

My point here is we could easily have shot this Elephant at 40 yards, and I would have had a great hunt. However I will forever be indebted to Brent for taking me a little further and giving me one of the most increadable experiances of my hunting life.I am greatfull that there are PHs out there like Brent, Buzz, and Ivan who listen to the clients wishes, and go the extra mile to give us the full African experiance.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All well said.

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
venda axe, I fully agree from start to finish!

Go big and get close or you are not hunting dangerous game. DGRs are simply not dangerous at long range so what is the point?

........................................................................................................... BOOM....................... holycow

............................................................................................ old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by venda axe:
I believe different people hunt Africa for different reasons. Some come for the quantity of game. I've heard guys say " I shot 15 animals in 10 days". Some want their trophies to be in the record book. Others just want good Quality animals. As for me it's all about the hunt. I want a good stalk, to work into position for a good shot, and a mature animal. In the case of Dangerous game, especially Buffalo, and Elephant I want to get in close. In my opinion to shoot a Buffalo oe Elle. from 150 yrds takes away half of the experiance of the hunt.

quote:I think it's the job of the PH to put the client in a position to make a clean kill in the least dangerous situation possible. To provoke a charge for the thrill of it is just plain unethical and stupid. Sooner or later someone will get hurt.

At even 100 yards a Buff. or Elle. is still remote there is no contack with that animal. When you get in close, for me it seems to be about 25 yards I can litteraly feel that animals presence, and he probably mine. My pulse quickens and all my sences seem to amplify. Is this too risky and dangerous? I dont think so. At this distance, as Buzz Charlton states in his video "Hunting the African Elephant" With a brain shot it is easy for the PH to tell if the client has made a good shot or not. If the Elle drops you have probably hit the brain, or at least have time for another shot. If the Elle runs off the PH can put in a backup shot. With Buffalo the PH is close enough to judge if the shot was good and can respond accordingly. At further distances he will have to make a long shot at a running target.

In 2008 I was hunting Elephant with Brent Leesmay in Dandy North. I told Brent that I would like to try for a brain shot, and he said he would try. On day 4 we closed in on a bull, but he sensed us and started off so I had to take a heart shot whitch worked out fine. I was then offered the chance to hunt a Tuskless Cow and jumped at the oportunity. In 7 days we looked at over 200 Elephant. That was a wonderfull experiance by itself. About noon on tha last day Tinos, one of our trackers spotted a tuskless cow resting in the shade of a tree across a dry river bed about 40 yards away. Brent determined that it was a shootable tuskless cow, and asked if I would like to try for a brain shot. He explained that we would cross the river bed, go up the bank, and when we reached level ground he would get the cow's attention.When we reached the top of the bank Brent made a small noise. The cow apperently knew we were there because she emmediatley spun around and started towards us. I picked a spot and droped her at about 13 yards.

My point here is we could easily have shot this Elephant at 40 yards, and I would have had a great hunt. However I will forever be indebted to Brent for taking me a little further and giving me one of the most increadable experiances of my hunting life.I am greatfull that there are PHs out there like Brent, Buzz, and Ivan who listen to the clients wishes, and go the extra mile to give us the full African experiance.

tu2

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by venda axe:

My guess is that you must be a very good hunter and a good shot also. Frankly, I think the pros have a rough lot because they have to get us close enough to make a good shot but not close enough so we get someone hurt if we screw up. The fact that they are willing to do this with you, in my book, means they 'trust' your skills.

Posts: 5708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Count me in.

Posts: 989 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
+1

We just spent nine days 100% devoted to hunting buffalo, getting close, and looking at 44 mature bulls before the first shot was fired.

Such a hunt is measured in total miles covered and the hunting experienced along the way rather than mere inches of horn.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
While I am in full agreement with all that is said and that is the way I like to hunt as well (PG is something I shoot while I am hunting DG Smiler)...I am going to play the devil's advocate for a moment.

The game animals we hunt are NOT just out there for our amusement. They and their habitat is limited in the world today and we as hunters must always be conscious of conservation first and foremost. The word "conservation" almost in itself incites controversy these days but the way I use it is in its simplest form...meaning: to conserve.

With that said...it is always the paramount duty of the PH (should be with the client as well) to not do things to just fancy our whims that is not in the best interest in "conservation" of the animals themselves. Going back to the other threads...it is never in the best interest of ele conservation to shoot the matriarch of a family group of ele (unless we are culling and wiping out the whole group which is a different subject). I don't think Buzz or Ivan or any other respectable PH would say that it is...at least I hope not. So...if in our endeavors to have our hunt the way we want it...cause PHs have to repeatedly shoot matriarch cows in self-defense...that is not being a good steward of our wildlife. I believe it is a PH's duty when hunting tuskless to not put his party in a situation where they are "likely" to elicit a confrontation with the matriarch in which she must be shot.

Now...before anyone responds...I am NOT saying anyone (or any PH) does...just giving my opinion.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36841 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
While I am in full agreement with all that is said and that is the way I like to hunt as well (PG is something I shoot while I am hunting DG Smiler)...I am going to play the devil's advocate for a moment.

The game animals we hunt are NOT just out there for our amusement. They and their habitat is limited in the world today and we as hunters must always be conscious of conservation first and foremost. The word "conservation" almost in itself incites controversy these days but the way I use it is in its simplest form...meaning: to conserve.

With that said...it is always the paramount duty of the PH (should be with the client as well) to not do things to just fancy our whims that is not in the best interest in "conservation" of the animals themselves. Going back to the other threads...it is never in the best interest of ele conservation to shoot the matriarch of a family group of ele (unless we are culling and wiping out the whole group which is a different subject). I don't think Buzz or Ivan or any other respectable PH would say that it is...at least I hope not. So...if in our endeavors to have our hunt the way we want it...cause PHs have to repeatedly shoot matriarch cows in self-defense...that is not being a good steward of our wildlife. I believe it is a PH's duty when hunting tuskless to not put his party in a situation where they are "likely" to elicit a confrontation with the matriarch in which she must be shot.

Now...before anyone responds...I am NOT saying anyone (or any PH) does...just giving my opinion.

ledvm,

Exactly!!

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Exactly what is a close shot on elephant? For some it seems to be 25 yards and others as close as 5 yards. Compared to most plains game hunting both are close but for elephant?

You can safely approach much closer to bull elephant than cow eles. Bulls are much less likely to charge unless wounded or if you subject them to continued approaches. You can approach to within 8 or 10 yards in my opinion. Much closer than that and the upward angle can make the side or frontal shot very difficult. If he charges on bullet impact, a definite rarity, you still have time for a second shot, much closer and you may not have time. The best distance for a side or frontal brain shot is around 18 yards. If you are of normal height the bullet placement is where it is usually shown on "how to" drawings. Closer and you have to shoot lower and lower. Get close enough and it may mean that you have to go through the zygomatic arch to reach the brain, an iffy proposition at best.

For cows you need a completely different mind set on what close is. Herd matriarchs make their living by protecting their herds. Endanger her herd and you can expect or at least you had better expect a charge. The tactical approach is to not put your self in a position where you can be charged from such close range that you do not have a reasonable amount of time to fire at least two shots. To do otherwise is sheer foolishness. I have been told by very experienced PHs that cows kill more people every year than bulls do in a decade. I have had PHs tell me that the Jesse in front of us was simply to thick to safely approach a cow herd. Good advice in my opinion.

Twenty-five yards is probably as close as you want to get to a cow in a herd. If you can't make a brain shot at that range go for the heart/lung shot. That is a better shot anyway as she will run off taking the herd with her. When she falls the herd will usually keep on going. Brain shoot it and the best plan is to retreat smartly for 100 yards and let the herd move off. They will typically stand around the fallen cow and may try to get her up. That is the dangerous time for a charge from the infamous "other elephant".

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I agree 100% with what 465H&H once wrote. Wait, maybe I actually wrote it:

"To me, my opinion, the epitome of elephant hunting is (i) a tracking hunt that involves following the spore to catch the elephant, (ii) once the elephant has been located making a stalk and getting in close, and (iii) making a frontal or side brain shot with a nitro express double rifle. I realize others hunt elephant at night or do a heart/lung shot at 75 yards with a .375 H&H, if that works for them great but that is just not my view of what the essence of elephant hunting is all about. Getting in close is integral to what makes elephant hunting what it is."

If you agree, I wrote it. If you disagree, take it up with 465H&H.

Mike

Posts: 21374 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote