Notify
Tools

New SAPS Firearms Form.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted
Hi All,

I was talking to my PH yesterday who said that it is not worth filling in the SAPS in advace because the one on the web is different to the one they use on site in Jo'burg.

Is this recent or has anyone experience something similar?

Im going to take a copy of the form anyway even if it is justr a template.

FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
FB,

I've talked to JJ Hack about this and he's adamant that it is a waste of time...He says that during one visit he watched exactly what the officers were doing and asked a few questions about the process.

As I understand it, what it boiled down to was that the forms the SAPS fill in at the airport are serial numbered for traceability and accountability, where as the ones on the web lack this serial number..

Still, I would fill the form in *black ink* a head of time just to be on the safe side. Have a read of the other thread about taking firearms into RSA posted by Kathi..they are claiming the worst of the delays are now over!

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fallow Buck:
Hi All,

I was talking to my PH yesterday who said that it is not worth filling in the SAPS in advace because the one on the web is different to the one they use on site in Jo'burg.

Is this recent or has anyone experience something similar?

Im going to take a copy of the form anyway even if it is justr a template.

FB

I believe that the PH may be referring to an OLD form that was floating around as the one on the SA Police site and some other sites like (Gracy Travel) are the updated form comprising 8 pages.

I dont personally believe it is a waste of time to complete the form in advance, but remember to complete the correct sections and with black ink and DONT SIGN it

There are so many different opinions from every (tom dick and harry) on the face of the earth that I dont blame anyone for being confused //

My suggestion is FIRST (contact one of the respected TRAVEL AGENTS) recommended by our AR forum guests such as Gracy Travel OR Kathi as they are (up to date on the real situation) not what some hunter in the bush or even I peceive it to be ///

These good (Travel Agents) are dealing with hunters (almost on a daily basis) so they know more than most of us to put it mildly, remembering the situation in Africa can also change more often than you and I might change our under shorts Wink

So rather speak DIRECT to Kathi or Gracy Travel is my suggestion and you will be well informed

Of cource there are those PAID SERVICES like Optima Business in SA whom will do it all for you in ADVANCE and at very reasonable cost / I dont know anyone whom have used them and not been happy

Good luck

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth. I just returned from a hunt in RSA, having arrived in J'Burg on July 21st. Prior to arrival I had both the 8 and 11 page form. I used the 8 page and had it filled out perfectly before arrival. There were about 12 hunters on my flight, all of which beat me to the SAPS Office. A group of 5 hunters in front of me were using one of the services (maybe Optima) as well as one or two others ahead of them. All had to wait their turn in line and none got thru quicker than those not using the form, if it was properly filled out. There were 6 SAPS Officers on duty, but only one was doing inspections. Took me 2 hours to clear the process. As others before me have said, I'am done in RSA till they streamline this process. They don't seem to need my money bad enough.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" - Emerson

Posts: 106 | Location: Rockwall, Texas | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One other thought: Most everyone I dealt with at that damn airport (including a couple of ladies at the SAPS Office but don't know if they were Officers) either expected or directly asked for a tip (before I could even offer one). On top of it all, SAA overbooked the return flight by about 30 passengers, so we all had to stay an extra day.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" - Emerson

Posts: 106 | Location: Rockwall, Texas | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

Contact Antonette at Optima Handling, email: vip.optima@tiscali.co.za, she was VERY helpful and got me thru gun control in 5 minutes. She got the gun permit in advance for $60 a small price in the big scheme of things! Good luck

Reddy375

Posts: 2552 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote