THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Re: After the book, should AR start a magazine?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: After the book, should AR start a magazine?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted
All right, awrite awready! Did I miss something here? Is there a gathering of the AR crew in Reno planned and I missed the thread or what? I'm only supposed to be there on Saturday but if things are going to be popping, I may have to change plans!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ya know,
With all due respect to the slick mags out there, I learn a lot more in here. There is also some real writing talent on these threads. And experience: How many Buffalo has Ray shot? With how many different bullets out of how many different rifles? Alf has more classic rifle experience and knowledge in the dirt under his finger nails than most of the hook & bullit writers out there. RIP doesn't test drive the latest piece of shit rifle from the gun company of the month, he has quality pieces whipped up in whatever cartridge take his fancy, and shoots the shit out of it (and the Bull with it). Andy is applying rigorous and repeatable protocols to his bullet testing. Peter and Ganyana write about Africa almost like they were born there. DJ pursues accuracy like I do ducks. Scrollcutter, John Ricks, and on and on. Will says the stuff that makes me go "Duh, of course", and says it in one line.

Most of us have at least one good article in us about a subject we are passionate about. We all own a camera. And a computer (I am on AR, ergo I own a computer). There are plenty of skilled editors and publishers (Nick, Mehul).

Posting on AR is a hell of an effective system of fact checking; contentious too.

It might be fun to put together a compilation magazine on CD. Printing on paper, I am given to understand, is horrendously expensive. Burning CD's might be easier, and cheaper.

This project would have limited to no commercial potential. Advertisers don't want to hear "best $800.00 rifle for $1,200.00" or "that fucking rear sight ain't worth the expense in calories to pull it off and throw it away", etc.

JCN

PS Not that anyone is interested, but I have an article about loading Bismuth shot just about in the can. Could never sell it, however. I use components made by bitter rivals in the same loads. They surely do kill the ducks and geese though.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Finally, a target worthy of Saeed's .577 T-Rex!

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DRG,

Just a suggestion - I have worked as an editor for some years and I personally think that if this were brought out as a magazine on CD or DVD instead of on paper, the costs could be kept realy low besides offering subscribers an advantage that no prnt journal could offer - videos on the CD along with print articles.

If someone could do the page design and layout, I would be more than happy to help with the editing - my "share" would be the previlege of reading the articles much before anyone else does.

Best wishes and good hunting!

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nickudu,

I agree with you absolutely on the superb quality of some of the threads from the past. Perhaps they could be reclassified on a new Nickudu Archives?

Please do let me know how I could assist you in your wonderfully valuable work if there is something that I could do. This would add to my "share" that I just spoke to DRG about.

As far as the risk of the forums suffering because more people might write articles, I personally feel that with the right kind of editorial policy, bith would complement each other like the question and answer pages in all the gun magazines. If this is done right, articles and supporting pictures and video clips might actually cause even more discussions on the forums as members try to ask questions or clarify doubts on the articles or video clips.

Just a thought.

Best wishes and good hunting.

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of scw
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Ya know,
With all due respect to the slick mags out there, I learn a lot more in here.

PS Not that anyone is interested, but I have an article about loading Bismuth shot just about in the can. Could never sell it, however. I use components made by bitter rivals in the same loads. They surely do kill the ducks and geese though.

I couldn't agree more with the first statement. In fact the only magazines I get anymore are Fish-Fur&Game and Full Cry, the rest are far beneath the disussions here and other places online.

Also, I would have to agree that there are many people out there that have an article or two hidden inside of them, waiting to be written. We each have areas of expertise that can be applied to our habits, this is a fine way to bring out well rounded, unbiased and uncompensated articles based on a tremendous background of experience.

I like the idea of the CDs or DVD to allow and interactive magazine. I would be happy to contribute articles, encourage other to write articles, and pay to read them.

Posts: 281 | Location: Utah | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about an online magazine which you must subscribe to and pay for to read? Create another forum which requires a password and contains the magazines articles. All profits donated to charity.

If there is enough interest in the e-zine think about going to paper. Already I can see Petersen's Hunting and assorted magazines shaking in their hunting boots.

Sounds like a great idea but, it is a gosh awful amount of work....

One question..... Will there be center folds???

Regards,

Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
But of course, David:

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Terry,

Sending you a photo you can post if desired. She will be your first assignment (stolen from Ntroexpress.com).

Posts: 19364 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MY EYES! THEY BURN! THEY BURN!!!....CAN'T....SEE.....!!!

NICKUDU, I'M SORRY....I WILL NEVER BE A SMART ASS AGAIN....PROMISE!

Wonder what she'd go on the hoof?

Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Wonder what she'd go on the hoof?

Dave

Somewhere between "lots" and more than that.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to come down with Nickudu on this one.

I love babbling on the forums as much as many, and more than most, but when I'm serious about actually doing something I want to read what the guys who actually have knowledge and experience are saying.

There are some classic threads, like the one on bedding boomers in CZ stocks, that I have bookmarked.

Much as we have a Western Canon of great literature, I would like to have access to an AR Canon of hunting, shooting and gun literature.

As for hurt feelings, we are mostly all either young enough to eventually get over it, or old enough to take a joke.

JCN

Will, you are right about it being difficult to curl up with a good laptop at night. I gave my laptop to my daughter to take to college, and only have desk models now. Any reading in bed on the computer would definitely be "heavy reading".

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hewlett-Packard now offers a wireless printer-alarm-clock. The ideal solution!

posted Hide Post
Getting back to Mehul Kamdars idea of a magazine, it seems we would have a leg up on at least two crucial components ... a fountainhead of quality written material and more original photographs than any publication might hope for.

one of us
posted Hide Post
An article section I think would be a great idea, however I think the "article" submitted should be backed by photographs so we could attribute some authentication.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I still vote for a magazine. As a writer of little note, I have no interest in publishing anything on the internet.

Posts: 19364 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Just thought of something ... I could see where people might refrain from posting something on the Forum, in hope of having it swept up for the magazine publication. A magazine may actually detract from the Forum itself, in the long run.

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
I want to be in charge of the swimsuit edition.

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
With Walter???? Horrors!