THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Re: Here's a really neat rifle in .333 Jeffery........

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Here's a really neat rifle in .333 Jeffery........
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What do you guys think about the "modern" Jeffery's? I heard quite a few dissapointed comments about thier bolt actions. i saw one the other day in .458 Lott which did not impress me at all....for the price they charge...

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Certainly does appear to be a beautiful classic rifle.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I consider modern bolt guns by top American craftsmen to be superior in all respects to the finest British bolt guns from ANY era -- there really isn't a comparison between the two.

But when comparing fine pre-war British magazine rifles to current British magazine rifles, the superiority of the pre-war product is very clear. Those pre-war British craftsmen knew how to alter and adjust the fine commercial Mausers they imported from Germany to the zenith of smoothness and feeding perfection, plus all the rest of the rifle's details were thoughtfully and nicely carried out, at least for that era. They bespoke quality, and the pride and care of the craftsmen who made them.

I haven't seen a current British magazine rifle from any of the classic London gunmakers that I'd want to own, especially when you can get a superior American-built custom bolt gun for a whole lot less.

Imagine if you took a Whitworth Express, spruced it up a bit, engraved a British gunmaker's name on the barrel, then put a $25,000 price tag on it. In a nutshell, that's what you get with a Britsh magazine rifle today........

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to cordially disagree with Allen, I'd rather have a classic English rifle than anything made by any of todays riflemakers...and btw, the English guns all function perfectly, at least all the ones I have owned did and they shoot well....

The English like the Americans built some of the best or rifles, but just because a rifle is English or American does not make it a good gun, both have/had good and bad gun makers......

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote