New
Find
Notify
Tools

Illegal Mozambique PAC Hunts
 Login/Join

Picture of Canuck
posted
Posting the following letter at the request of Ganyana...

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Very interesting as this has come up on this board more than once. How did Ganyana come to have this, or did he say?

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Can't get any more clear than that. Puts to rest our previous "discussions" on this matter.

For those interested, I have a copy of the Mozambique Hunting Regulations. It is clear (to me at least) that those regulations do not allow a sport hunter to participate in a PAC hunt.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
Very interesting. Ganyana, can PAC hunts be pre-sold in Zimbabwe??

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They have been and are sold in advance. But if your booked and no elephants raid crops your SOL.

465 H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted Hide Post
I have always wondered how other outfitters pre sell them. We get a few permits a year for crop raiders, but you have three or four days to hunt them, max. We never get much advance notice they are coming available. If we have a client in the area, no problem, but most folks can't pick up and fly to Moz on 24hrs notice if one comes up. I gave up trying to sell them last year. Too hard to offer them and remain legal.

Hair, not Air!
Rob Martin

Posts: 395 | Location: Florida's Fabulous East Coast | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
I once questioned a PH about this and his response was "that in Mozambique, any elephant not in the pot is a problem elephant"!!!!

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
So it says "PAC hunts are illegal in Mozambique", especially those sold in advance."

Does that mean that these hunts offered to a currently huning client are just somewhat illegal?

I'm confused...

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Steve,

We've covered this at least twice before. If one reads the regulations, it is clear that PAC hunts can't be sold nor may a client participate in a PAC hunt. In the past (regardless of what the actual law says) some have said, "Well there is the law and there is the law in Africa."

Well, we now have the written law and the interpretation/enforcement of the law by the proper authorities.

"PAC hunts are illegal in Mozambique"

So, in answer to your question, I would say that they are more than "just somewhat illegal".

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T.Carr:
If one reads the regulations, it is clear that PAC hunts can't be sold nor may a client participate in a PAC hunt.

Terry, can you post the regs covering PAC hunts? Thanks!

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Email me and I will send them to you.

Regards,

Terry

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Thanks Terry! I was mainly being a smart ass. Emphasis on ASS...

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve:
Thanks Terry! I was mainly being a smart ass. Emphasis on ASS...

-Steve

Steve,

Man you got to use those Roll Eyes shame gremlins, I can never tell when you are serious. lol

Regards,

Terry homer

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hhmag:
I have always wondered how other outfitters pre sell them. We get a few permits a year for crop raiders, but you have three or four days to hunt them, max. We never get much advance notice they are coming available. If we have a client in the area, no problem, but most folks can't pick up and fly to Moz on 24hrs notice if one comes up. I gave up trying to sell them last year. Too hard to offer them and remain legal.

hhmag,

Would you please explain what you mean, regarding getting a few permits a year, when the regulations state NO client to participate?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68771 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted Hide Post
Sure, Saeed. Sorry, I should have been a bit clearer. Our hunting area is quite large, there are 4 decent sized villages within it. When there is a problem animal (crop raider, etc.) and the villagers complain, the powers that be go out to put the animal down. Usually they just send out the permit to the guy holding the concession and he will go out and take it. Sometimes, especially closer to Tete, the Conservation guys come out en masse and do it themselves, but out where we are, only one or two rangers are ever there. In the past, when we have had clients in camp, the ranger with us has agreed to let the client take the first shot, but this year they were a bit more strict.

When clients or potential clients asked about PAC hunts in Moz, I never outright said no until this past year, but I also didn't do much to encourage them. I told people that if you want a PAC hunt, you have to be ready to go on a moment's notice and get there while the permit was still good (again, we had a history with the ranger allowing our clients in on the hunt).

This year, with Zim falling apart, Moz has tightened a bunch of regs and put a few more rangers afield. Many of the Zim operators are coming to Moz to conduct safaris and in areas, it can be downright crowded. The guy that owns the concession on which we hunt has told us that next year he will be allowing 4 other operators come into the area, so it's a moot point now anyway. I probably won't go back next year, as I don't see the quality still being there with 5 of us hunting the concession.

Hair, not Air!
Rob Martin

Posts: 395 | Location: Florida's Fabulous East Coast | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote