Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

rifles for africa
 Login/Join

posted
I've got a question that one of you may be able to anwser for me. My faimly and brother's family will be traveling to SA next june. my 2 sons both have their own rifles and my brother has his own rifle. All rifles are in .270WSN. My question is; Is this a problem to bring 3 rifles in the same caliber? My two sons are minors so both of those rifles belong to me. and we would be bringing enough ammo for all 3 rifles. All in same caliber. Is there a maximum number of rounds of one caliber that you can take into SA?

Posts: 14 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
Is this the owner of SW Wildlife?

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3543 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
yes

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I seem to recall that South Africa does not allow 2 rifles of the same caliber to be brought in by one person.

May be some of our South African friends can throw light on this.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68693 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I seem to recall that South Africa does not allow 2 rifles of the same caliber to be brought in by one person.

May be some of our South African friends can throw light on this.

Yes that is correct. In fact when I went through last year there was a guy ahead of me at JNB who had a .300 WM and a .300 RUM the SAP gun guy would only let him bring one in the other got carted off to storage to await him for his return flight.

What a bunch of... bsflag

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. so how I read Steve's info is that it would be permissable to bring in 3 rifles in 270WSM plus up to 600 rds. 1 is for me, 1 is my wife's and 1 is my brother's. Is this how SAPS would view this? or am I thinging wrong? thanks again.

one of us
posted Hide Post
As long as they are all in separate names and permits, you should not have a problem.

I suggest you contact Air 2000 www.hunterssupport.com for permit assitance.

They sure do a great job for me.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
600 rounds? I doubt that will make the weight limit for the airlines, even if divided by three.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
If each rifle, 200 rounds (max) of ammo and import licence is in the name of a different person then it's fine but you won't be allowed to have two or more rifles of the same calibre in the name of the same person.

Bearing your situation in mind, I'd recommend you use of the meet and greet services to have your import licences pre issued to ensure there's no problems. I'd recommend you use either Aubrey Kent who posts here as Aubs458 or the PHASA firearms import service as your best bet.

Contact details for PHASA here: http://www.phasa.co.za/index.php?pid=18

Or you can send Aubrey a PM.

posted Hide Post
Thanks again, you guys have anwsered my questions. I think I will use a service like Air 2000.

one of us
posted Hide Post
sw

If you use Gracy Travel they will be able to arrange everyhing for you including SAPS permits and meet/greet/assistance from the time you step off the jetway in JNB. I like simple and seamless. Gracy will make all the JNB arrival business a non issue.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote fo Air 2000, Ann does a great job and they get you straight thru, I mean from the time you enter the terminal.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you hire a PH for this trip? All that stuff is HIS responsibility. If his gratuity is on the line he will handle it for you.
Talk to Kathi Klime at Wild Travel. She and her husband have made multiple trips to Africa. They're one of us.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote