Find
Notify
Tools

Another Buffalo 101 Story
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Will
posted
When I was at CZ today, I heard a story from another graduate of the class: Buffalo 101.

The hunter wounds the buffalo, and discovered that a buffalo can take an 12 additional shots from a big bore (a Lott I believe) before succumbing.

Wounding buffalo is a bad idea!

Posts: 19359 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A buffalo has the highest content of adrenaline of any animal on earth, that is a fact...Thusly when wounded he is supercharged and can become a virtual M1 tank...

I have seen one bull take 13 470s and 500 NE rounds..Another take 9 470s...another took 4 460 wbys and 4 of some other big caliber...not unusual when they get a non lethal shot and become tanked up...Only a brain or spine shot will work at that point...

If the first shot is correct, they die relitively easy...like any other animal.

Posts: 42143 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Caliber is secondary to the proper placement of a well-constructed bullet. The latter is chiefly demonstrated by the rifleman's ability to shoot well, and his bullet's ability to stay together and penetrate on a straight path to one or more vital organs.

Many have proven that--with good shots, as well as bad.

Posts: 13617 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Years ago, I shot a bull on the run in the stomach. I hit him again just infront of the right hipbone, the bullet stopping under the skin on the left shoulder.

He turned around to look at us. I hit him again on the left shoulder - less than 6 inches from where the other bullet is under the skin. This bullet followed a parallel line and with the previous one, and was found under the skin a few inches from the entrance hole of the one fired before it.

He turned broadside. I hit him again in the shoulder. He did not even flinch!

I broke his neck with the next shot.

After that little episode, I don't take chances with buffalo. Even if they are on the ground, I always put another shot in, just to make sure they stay there.

And with our Walterhog bullets, it seeems the only way to recover them is to shoot them into buffalo lengthways.

Posts: 68645 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

Good to hear you are back with more buffalo stories.

It is difficult to fatham that a buffalo can take so much abuse, without even flinching for God's sake, if you have never witnessed it yourself.

It is a wonder that more hunters do not get hurt.

Posts: 19359 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote