Find
Notify
Tools

Whatcha book in Dallas?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted
Though I'm not a rich man (but with no wife or dependent children Big Grin), I've found that if I book my hunts far enough in advance and immediately start paying deposits, etc., by the time the hunt comes around (and if I resist the desire for a new truck), I can have the trip paid for before I leave.

I don't know how many times I've decided not to stop at a nice place to eat on the way home and just opened a can of soup for supper, figuring that the couple of pops and a steak was a fifth of an impala trophy fee. (Funny how we Africaphiles count dollars as animals, isn't it?)

So... my long range planning is as follows:

2011 will see me with Karl Stumpe in Namibia for an Oryx and then 7 days for a tuskless with C&M (all on the same flight over the pond.

2012 with Ivan for a lion in Mozambique (Ivan put a bloody horse in my bed and I couldn't refuse).

2013 back to my favorite... a buff hunt with Pierre van Tonder in the Selous.

Heck, I'm 63, finally in great health and better do it before I get all stove up or something. I can't live forever or take it with me, can I?

I guess that my ancient Silverado will just have to keep on chugging another ten years... Alas, but you have to know your priorities?

What did you guys do...????

Are you planning on dying broke in 2014 like me?

Roll Eyes Eeker Big Grin

And BTW, I met Jon Bieber in Dallas. We, via internet, decided to do a mangagement elephant in Chirisa in March of this year. It was good to meet him in person and find out that sharing a camp with him will be a treat. We'll be going with Lou and George Hallamore. Can't wait!

Got to figure out a way to hunt with Brent Hein in Lemco... so little time and so many great places and PH's!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7592 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judge- good for you, sounds like you've got some serious trips ahead.

I'm 99.99% committed to going to Wildside safaris for a Red Stag in NZ...we're hooking back up in Reno, to work out the details.

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thats great - BUT you passed up the 12 year of bottle scotch i brought just for you Eeker Big Grin

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
thats great - BUT you passed up the 12 year of bottle scotch i brought just for you Eeker Big Grin

Dang! I though I drank all the whiskey in Dallas on Saturday night! Where was it hidden? I was at the party until 8:15 or so???

Did you book anything. I find it great fun to share in the anticipation of other folks and learn by their planning!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a buddy told me regarding spending your $$$ before you die, "it should work out that you bounce the last check you write!".

Hey Judge, if you need to raise funds for those hunts, you can sell me that Sauer drilling you just bought! Big Grin

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I booked a hunt with John Wambeck in namibia for this yr. Opening small home based business bronzing skulls to help pay for more hunting and fishing. I'm single on only have to work real job 3 days a wk or should I say they have cut me back to three days a wk. cut out partying and eating out too.

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I finalized my hunt with Mokore.

Buffalo and Tuskless in the save
Sable in Mozambique
Plainsgame both places
16 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also left a rifle with Bitterroot. It is a 7 by 57 Mauser to be built for my wife. She will hunt this trip.

I really enjoyed the show.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
talked to Karl Stumpf about a 2011 Caprivi hunt,, working on the dates now,, wes

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Judge, we are on the same schedule, elephants in 2011 and Lions in 2012.

My 1997 Toyota Landcruiser is getting close to 200k miles and I hope it can get to at least 350k so I can pay for the following hunts booked at DSC:

2011: 21 days for Elephant, Leopard, and Buff with Zambezi Hunters;

2012: 21 days for Lion, leopard, sable, crock, and buff also with ZH.

I'm on the lookout for a cancellation or clean up hunt for 2010 and long, long, long range thinking about 28 days for big four to celebrate my 40th b-day in 2014.

Planning it and dreaming about it is almost as fun as doing it.

Now, back to work so I can pay for it.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
2011 buffalo in Zim with African Silwane Hunters, Clive Eaton is setting this up, than down to Clive's ranch in Ghanzi (Bots) for a few days of plainsgame.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Didn't book anything because of the job situation. Frowner But I gotta say that the boy and I have something in the works, if things go right, in the next 30 days.

Judge, it was a pleasure to meet you at the Sat. nite get together.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
going to kiwiland next april

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
long, long, long range thinking about 28 days for big four to celebrate my 40th b-day in 2014.

Will,

If you need a porter for that expedition, just let me know. I'll even cover my own airfare! LOL!! Sounds like a great plan.

David Walker

Posts: 539 | Location: NE Alabama | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Judge - nice to see someone who has his priorities right. Cool

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
Judge - nice to see someone who has his priorities right. Cool

If my children want to enjoy my money, they'd better go with me... That's how I see it!

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I upped my tuskless/sable hunt with Buzz this July/August and finalized it being a tuskless/buff and...sable if there is time to look for one.

Like Judge, my old Silverado better keep on ticking. I hate that I was only there on the first two days and flew out on Friday evening. Would have been great to meet more of you guys. I did enjoy seeing the few AR folks that I saw.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I booked a Zim hunt this year (buffalo & hippo) with Mark DeWit (& Ed Seager), a Tanszania elephant, buffalo, & leopard hunt in 2012 with Pierre (& Mike & Cherie), & bought another Blaser R93 in .416 Remington.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1584 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the process of finalizng a hunt in Masiland with Adam Clements.

JudgeG, I have a call into Ivan to see if I can shoot your bait Wink

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JudgeG, It was a pleasure meeting you as well. In addition to our Ele hunt in March, I added to my Lion hunt in April/May with Karl Stumpfe..looks like we'll now go to Zim first to add another management Ele, and a Hippo & Croc for my friend, then on to Namibia for the original Lion hunt.

I will be back with Pierre von Tonder in 2011 for more Buff and other animals TBD. I love the Selous!

Posts: 20139 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am definitely doing something wrong...

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An ele bull/buf combo in Matetsi hunting with John Oosthuizen/Gavin Hume of Hunter&Guides 2010

Posts: 97 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Biebs:
JudgeG, It was a pleasure meeting you as well. [QUOTE]

I am not sure what happened. I wanted to meet both of you at the Saturday gathering. Missed you both. Jon, I even had the .458 you wanted to look at in the room.

Glad you both are got your hunts in order. For me it's Namibia in April for PG with Kalihari Hunting Safaris. Zim or Moz late fall, not finalized yet. Elephant and/or buff depends on what Infinito comes up with.

Sorry I missed you guys.....Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Moz buff with Quaggas, Sept 2010.

Posts: 677 | Location: Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Double tuskless and double buff, hippo and croc with Buzz and Myles in 2011. Had to have a set for my double and one for my new 450 Rigby bolt. Equal opportunity, non-discriminatory rifle fan. That way I can take Retreever's advice and try the TSX in both.

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Regarding the party Sat night, when I got up Sunday morning and went down to the party room there was one AR member in the room seated next to the booze table. He fell out of the chair while I was cleaning up and continued his slumber. I saw him enter the elevator when we were leaving about 7:30AM. He can identify himself if he so wants. My lips are sealed. Big Grin

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigFiveJack:
I am definitely doing something wrong...

You are not along in that.

I did buy two books, but did not book any hunts. Confused

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote