THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Seventy pound elephant bull: Zambezi Hunters
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seventy pound elephant bull: Zambezi Hunters
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted
Anton Dahlgren from Sweden took this fantastic bull a few days ago with Zambezi Hunters in Mahenya. PH Jonathan Hulme, safari booked by Mark Young, Adam Clements Safari Trackers.

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! Where is Mahenya?

Posts: 256 | Location: Africa | Registered: 26 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Scott450,

Mahenya is in the south-east lowveld, bordering Gonarezhou National Park and Mozambique.

Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
David,

Congratulations to the hunter and especially to Johnny. My husband and I think the world of your brother (and tracker Amos).

We wish all the best to Johnny and his continued success.He is an extremely hard working PH.

Looking forward to seeing him in Reno.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9479 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Thanks for those kind words Kathi. I shall pass on your greetings to Johnny and Amos when I see them tomorrow. I hope you are well.

Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice elephant.

Excellent ivory, nice length, nice diameter, beautiful tusks.

Also I assume the elephant fell that way after the shot, which means an instant kill.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Outstanding trophy! And what a stroke of luck that he fell that way at the shot. Makes for superior photos.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
NE 450 No2

Yes, it was a perfect side brain shot. They are excellent tusks, I have been admiring them for hours.

Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
David

Lovely bull. I'm sure that this makes up for the miserable trip Anton had from Sweden. He stil has buffalo and leopard to try for. Let's hope his luck holds.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13004 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Hello Mark

Yes, I reckon that bull would make up for a heap of miserable trips! They are after buffalo now, I will keep you posted.

Dave

One of Us
Picture of Dr. Tim Burkhart
posted Hide Post
David,

I'm scheduled with Jonny for Mahenya in 2010. Maybe I should move it up to next year.

Tell Jonny to find me an opening!!!!

Dr. Tim

Posts: 166 | Location: Caledonia, Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Dr. Tim,

Are you serious? If so, it is done Sir. I'll get back to you.

Dave

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Very nice bull, and very nice photos.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, just Wow!

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
Beautiful elephant, what caliber did you use?

Congratulations,

Oscar.

I am Spanish

My forum:www.armaslargasdecaza.com

Posts: 1131 | Location: Spain (Madrid) | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Terrific bull. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Question, guys, you I saw it was a side brain shot from the pics, and you reassured that, don't they usually fall on their side when shot from the side (even brain shots)? Thought I read that somewhere, was just curious.

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
A great picture. thumb

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JustinL01:
Question, guys, you I saw it was a side brain shot from the pics, and you reassured that, don't they usually fall on their side when shot from the side (even brain shots)? Thought I read that somewhere, was just curious.

Ussually brained elephants fall on their sides, but frontal or side brain shots can land them upright. I've had upright elephants from both frontals and side brain shots.

You have to careful of a second insurance shot, sometimes that will cause them to roll over, had that happen too.

There was some discussion a while back that perhaps the upright elephants fall to a lower brain shot which hits the medula oblongata (sp?) lower and further rearward portion of the brain.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
My oh my! Very nice! The only thing that would have made those pics even better would have been seeing Anton holding a nice double! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
UEG

I think the last photo does show Anton with a double. A Krieghoff maybe??? He lost his guns and luggage in transit so I don't know what he shot the ele with.

This is Jonathan Hulme's first year with Mahenya and my first year representing him. I'm very happy with the arrangement.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

Posts: 13004 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mark - you'd be even happier if it was your double Big Grin Wink lefty

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch,

If I could buy a double it would mean I had enough money to pay for an ele like Anton's. Given that choice double, trophy fee, double trophy fee the double looses. Why would I want a rifle that to be functional has to be two rifle in one? Makes no sense to me.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
UEG

I think the last photo does show Anton with a double. A Krieghoff maybe??? He lost his guns and luggage in transit so I don't know what he shot the ele with.

This is Jonathan Hulme's first year with Mahenya and my first year representing him. I'm very happy with the arrangement.

Mark

Anton shot the bull with my brother's back-up 416 Remington. In the last picture he is holding my brother's Krieghoff 500.

Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
I do have a sharp eye!

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the bullet hole on the right hand side of the head an exit wound? Am I right in saying that there are 3 entry wounds on the left side of the head? Fantastic ele by the way. thumb

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pichon1:

The larger weeping holes on both sides are the temporal glands I believe. The two smaller holes above and to the rear appear to be bullet entry wounds.

David will want to confirm.

RCG

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RCG:
Pichon1:

The larger weeping holes on both sides are the temporal glands I believe. The two smaller holes above and to the rear appear to be bullet entry wounds.

David will want to confirm.

Good point, I think you are spot on. It was dumb of me not to pick up on that. beer

RCG

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Am I correct that we cannot import ivory into US from Mozambique? If so, this hunter is fortunate!

It is indeed a fantastic trophy and good shooting too.

Regards, D. Nelson

one of us
posted Hide Post
D. Nelson,

While it's true that due to CITES reg's US citizens cannot import ivory from Moz at this time, this fantastic bull was shot in Zimbabwe near the Moz border.

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RCG; Thanks for the correction...

Regards, D. Nelson

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
A fabulous bull, and a great picture and setting right down to the sandy river bed! (not many pict's have the hunter w/o shoes!)

Any estimate of the bull's age?

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Regarding age, my dad reckons 40+.

Dave

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Hi boys ! Thanks for your kind words..
Iam in SA now here are some of my pictures from my 21 day safari ! Fantastic quality animals. 16,5"+ Bushbuck - 70 pounds Ele - 40" Buffalo - 2 Hyaenas + more !
Here are a selection of sepia photos from the hunt i took over 1200 photos + 9 hours of raw film from The Osprey filming company.

[IMG]

The first shot was in the earhole, after that he didn`t moved an inch or make a sound again - I will try to make a long report when i get home..

Anton Dahlgren

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Outstanding safari - what great trophies.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anton,

Lovely trophies! I could not be happier for you.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Anton -

Thanks for the excellent pictures and congratulations on a wonderful hunt.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Hello Anton,

Did you find your luggage?

Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn nice trophies, Wow I should put Zim back on my list.
beer

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
WOW!!!

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote