THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Lion Research vs. Anti-Poaching Initiatives

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lion Research vs. Anti-Poaching Initiatives
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted
My understanding is that both the SCI and DSC are currently funding lion research within Southern Africa. The funds derived from the cancelled lion raffle were to be used to advance Oxford's Wildlife Conservation Research Unit's (WildCRU) ongoing research within the BVC. I couldn't help but notice that when the proverbial "shit hit the fan" the WildCRU quickly distanced themselves from the controversy. In addition, when ole Cecil passed away, I noticed that one of the WildCRU's lead researchers (conducting SCI funded research in Hwange NP) was rather timid when it came to defending legal, ethical, and sustainable hunting.

So in closing, my question is as follows: Should SCI and DSC continue to fund lion research or should they redirect the funds to 501(c)(3) NGO's and other "in country" wildlife conservation organizations (e.g. - Dande Anti-Poaching Unit, Chengeta Wildlife, Imire, Matusadona Anti-Poaching Project, Tashinga Initiative, Gache-Gache Anti-Poaching Unit, International Anti-Poaching Foundation, Friedkin Conservation Fund of Tanzania, etc.) that are actively involved in anti-poaching initiatives?

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

Posts: 2021 | Location: Republic of Texico | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is only one facet. Bubye Valley has one of the WORLD's largest black rhino populations. Protecting them costs money too and the money comes from hunting. So, save the lions at the expense of the rhinos? At the expense of the lions themselves in the end. A popular catchphrase in South Africa right now is "Pay back the money!" on bumper stickers and everywhere in reference to the president's excesses. The same applies to these so-called "conservationists". Take away the money, pay it back somehow. This convenienntly seems to fall outside their mandate.