New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leopard Rifle cartridge?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If things go right, I plan a leopard hunt next year. I'll probably hunt SA unless things get a lot better in Zimbabwe. I have two rifles that I plan on taking, a 7x57 and a 30-06. Both are FN commercial Mausers. I'll reload 150 or 160 partitions in the 7 and 180 or 200 partitions in the '06. Can I use either of these on a leopard leagaly? thanks, capt david

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds. Get closer!

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
David,

Either cartridge is perfect and your bullet choice is excellent. My concern is why you would pick RSA for a leopard hunt. Overall RSA leopard are probably the most difficult to hunt and success rates are quite low. If you don't want to hunt Zim than there are numerous other choices.

Mozambique in the Niassa area is one that you can do quite economically and on a 10 day schedule which should be all you needs as the leopards are numerous and very unspohisticated.

Zambia on the Luangwa is probably the best leopard hunting in Southern Africa with basically 100% success

Namibia can be a great destination in the right place for a really big cat with dogs.

Whether it is RSA of anyehere else do not book a leopard because it is cheap. Often the cheap hunts have you killing a lot of expensive baits and no leopard.

Good luck,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13005 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ask Jeff H about going to Zambia once and getting his cat versus going somewhere else several times and not scoring. As Mark said, the guys in the Valley are about 100% on leopard and not too far behind that on lion. Have him hook you up with the DuPlooys or Alister Norton with Luangwa Crocodiles, you'll get your leopard.

Cheers,
Andy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Capt.
I think (not sure) it is near impossible to get an exportable leopard in RSA if the hunting company does not have black ownership with BEG black PH's. "Some" RSA outfitters just want to get you there. Nature conservation changes the leopard permitting thing all the time. Like I told you in a previous post 5 sittings, 2 safaris, 2 cats.
Zambia my friend
Chipolopolo

Posts: 376 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 21 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow - Now look, we have two "new" Leopard experts??. Capt., I'd be very careful taking "any" advice from the two previous posters!! You can count on Mark and a whole lot more here for some good advice. It's sad when you have to check references on the posters!!

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't mind Larry, he just has his thong in a wad because he's running late to the PFLAG rally. pissers

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
To answer the original question, I believe that the answer is yes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry you can kiss my sweet white ass I know what a putz you really are but have kept it to myself. you might shut your piehole about things you know nothing about.

Hunting and having an opine about homosexuality are polar from one another.

Posts: 376 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 21 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boys....I can tell you FOR A FACT that the DuPlooys are 100% on the leopards and nearly so on their lions. I chose to go with them for that exact reason...and I got my cat. You don't believe it??...I don't give a $hit...it's a fact.
There are many others that have had great success elsewhere...good for them....I wanted to do it on the first trip.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just posted this for "one" reason, to see how long it would take chipo/ardvaark to sprew some more vulgar language? Not long, and very predictible as you all see. Certainly the Moderators here will realize we have a lot of younger folks reading these threads and curtail this kind of talk??

Chipo, you don't know anything about me, so don't flatter yourself. Oh by the way, what's an "opine"? I guess all you need to know how to spell are the vulgar words, fits you perfect!!

And back to the post. Capt - either rifle you mentioned will be more than adequate for the task at hand. If you find an outfitter in RSA that has a legitimate permit, chances are he has Leopard and importing to the USA will be no problem whatsoever. Check with USFWS before you hunt Leopard anywhere and get it straight from them as to what you need to do.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
Wow - Now look, we have two "new" Leopard experts??. Capt., I'd be very careful taking "any" advice from the two previous posters!! You can count on Mark and a whole lot more here for some good advice. It's sad when you have to check references on the posters!!

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just posted this for "one" reason, to see how long it would take chipo/ardvaark to sprew some more vulgar language? Not long, and very predictible as you all see. Certainly the Moderators here will realize we have a lot of younger folks reading these threads and curtail this kind of talk??

Chipo, you don't know anything about me, so don't flatter yourself. Oh by the way, what's an "opine"? I guess all you need to know how to spell are the vulgar words, fits you perfect!!

And back to the post. Capt - either rifle you mentioned will be more than adequate for the task at hand. If you find an outfitter in RSA that has a legitimate permit, chances are he has Leopard and importing to the USA will be no problem whatsoever. Check with USFWS before you hunt Leopard anywhere and get it straight from them as to what you need to do.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

The only one stinking this thread up is you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Listen,

Cunt
Twat
Dumbfuck
Dumberfuck
Chimp
Douchebag

I was called all of that on the last homo post.
Review it looser, I never once used vulgar language. Ass you can say on network TV.
Look in the dictonary you pompass know it all
Opine, it's there.
Chipolopolo

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Now, now chaps, let's stick to the topic and stop getting personal eh? I think I will have to do some moderating here until Saeed awakens

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We made Larry feel guilty about his gay PH fantasy and now he's pissed.

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
That does it. Adrook you're out of here buddy, back to the gay pride thread you go. Or maybe you can go back to googling those weird images

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Hulme:
Now, now chaps, let's stick to the topic and stop getting personal eh? I think I will have to do some moderating here until Saeed awakens

David now really, go look at the post at where all the really nasty stuff came from. It twasnt
I. I simply destest queers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chipolopolo:
quote:
Originally posted by David Hulme:

David now really, go look at the post at where all the really nasty stuff came from. It twasnt
I. I simply destest queers.

As do I. I have been attacked on multiple threads because I think homosexuality is a serious character flaw. I had no idea there were so many queer lovers on here.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Opinion is the noun.

To opine is the verb.

You may opine on a topic, but what you are giving is your opinion.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JPK, your correct, but as you can see Larry didn't know that. despite my fine writing here on the forum I did poorly in school. I know it may be hard to believe.
Chipolopolo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know this is a carry-over from the "Gay PH" post........

"So, is it OK to hunt Cape Buff with a 45/70 lever action with very hard cast bullets @ low velocity?"

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AzGuy:
I know this is a carry-over from the "Gay PH" post........

"So, is it OK to hunt Cape Buff with a 45/70 lever action with very hard cast bullets @ low velocity?"

Azguy,
I like your style. Maybe I know you I'm in Prescott all the time
Chipolopolo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
captn - your 06 is a perfect spotted cat gun. they are not large or heavily constructed. mark has given you the best advice i can think of. i hunted prime spots in zim and still took 54 days to find the cat i wanted. zambia & duploys are on schedule for this year.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep on believing that Chipo. Seems like you are the one to take the bait on this one. Here fishy, fishy!!

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
JPK, your correct, but as you can see Larry didn't know that. despite my fine writing here on the forum I did poorly in school. I know it may be hard to believe.
Chipolopolo

One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
I used 30-06 on my leopard with 165 grain Barnes. I think it's an ideal caliber.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you noticed that many homo-phobes are almost violently anti-homo publicly while trying to resist what they know to be their own homo-tendencies.

It's a slow day here in Jakarta; thought I'd share my medical and psycological expertise.

One of the biggest queers I ever met was a man in Venezuela on steroids, fancied himself a body-builder, always spouting anti-gay crap, and queer as they come.

Until you guys sort out all the mud slinging, I'm not sure I would feel comfortable being in a leopard blind with any of you.

Posts: 13859 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
Have you noticed that many homo-phobes are almost violently anti-homo publicly while trying to resist what they know to be their own homo-tendencies.

It's a slow day here in Jakarta; thought I'd share my medical and psycological expertise.

One of the biggest queers I ever met was a man in Venezuela on steroids, fancied himself a body-builder, always spouting anti-gay crap, and queer as they come.

Until you guys sort out all the mud slinging, I'm not sure I would feel comfortable being in a leopard blind with any of you.

Yeah right. What medical expertise? I've yet to meet a physician or psychologist who would diagnose based on web postings. You can start by learning how to spell psychological.

So being anti-buttfucker means I secretly crave the bunghole? rotflmo What a crock of bullshit. To paraphrase old Sigmund sometimes a cigar is just a cigar and sometimes a homophobe just doesn't like queers.

Now, doesn't one of your "patients" have a bedpan that you need to go and change?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please, shut the hell up....... donttroll

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DTala:
Please, shut the hell up....... donttroll

I've never heard of you, you have 92 posts in the past 2 years, yet you show up in the African Hunting Forum and tell me to shut up. Whatever. Roll Eyes

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well....IF you want a cat AND you're gay....don't hunt with Alister....I'd suggest someone else. There's a a guy booking out of Key West I think. Gives away a pink safari shirt with palm trees on it.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I wonder if I go post on a homo forum, African Hunters come out of the woodwork
Chipolopolo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I wonder if I go post on a homo forum, African Hunters come out of the woodwork
Chipolopolo

Some of the African hunters on this forum will.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Keep on believing that Chipo. Seems like you are the one to take the bait on this one. Here fishy, fishy!!

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Nice Back peddaling there life member
quote:
Chipolopolo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe the energy calculation cuts off at .270 Winchester. I'm sure the great cat has been killed with .243 Winchester. Lighter bullets at higer velocity is better in the 7mm or .308 calibers.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JPK,

darn it, I had the answer and you beat me to the post. For those of you who went to public schools, what he means is:
1. an opinion is what you have.
2. opine is when you share it.

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Asshook, er Adrook, my guess is your 2731 posts have for the most part been useless drivel or I might actually remember one.

Good luck to you, and be sure to remember to ask your customers whether they want their order Super-sized.

Posts: 13859 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dr. Kensco, I presume?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think any of my 92 posts on here were useless drivel that offended everyone...unlike the crap that spews from your mouth.

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
You want a good leopard and close to 100% success and pay a LOT less than Zambia? go here:
John Sharp

As to your rifle/caliber choices, I like the 06 with 180gr Hornadys. Full disclosure; I've never taken a leopard. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is this mindless drivel going to infect every thread on AR now?? I think by now everybody has gotten the point, a couple fellows really want to wear assless britches in a parade but hate themselves for it. Can a couple of threads at a time suffice for that message?

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10350 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who interjected it into this thread? It wasn't chip or myself.