THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Zambia: Lions send shivers into Luanshya investors

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zambia: Lions send shivers into Luanshya investors
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Lions send shivers into Luanshya investors
By Times Reporter

CHINESE Luanshya Copper Mine (CLM) management has expressed fear that the presence of two lions in Muliashi area may affect the ongoing works aimed at opening a new mine in the area.

And the Zambia Wildlife Authority (ZAWA) has dispatched a team of officers to verify reports that two stray lions were roaming Muliashi area in Luanshya.

CLM public relations officer, Sydney Chileya said in an interview the presence of the wild animals might threaten the open pit mine project which was being developed in the area.

CLM’s holding company, China Non Ferrous Metal Company has pumped US$150 million into the Muliashi open pit mine project which covers a surface area of 41 square kilometres.

When it becomes operational before the end of next year, the new 500,000 tonne-per-annum mine, which has a lifespan of 99 years, is expected to create about 1,000 jobs.

Mr Chileya said works at the site could be suspended depending on advice from the wildlife authorities.

“We are worried about the reported presence of the lions in Muliashi area because there is no game park nearby,” he said.

He said CLM was ready to abide by any expert advice from ZAWA and the police because the mining company was determined to protect the lives of the people working on the mine project.

Mr Chileya said the only wild animals found in the area near the Muliashi mine project were foxes.

Copperbelt Province police chief, Martin Malama said yesterday police had received reports two lions had been spotted in Muliashi area.

Dr Malama said he had received reports about the ZAWA officers dispatched from the Chililabombwe office, although ZAWA officials themselves could not confirm by yesterday.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9415 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote