New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ian Nyschens book
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In the past, there has been a lot of discussion here about Ian Nyschens and his books. The second one, Footsteps of an Ivory Hunter is very scarce in its original printing. Safari Press is publishing a new printing with commentary by Ian's daughter. The first run is 1000 signed, numbered and slipcased copies for $85, to be released in November. Regards to all, and good hunting.
Tim

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
His second book was not nearly as good as his first book, Months of the Sun. A great addition to any library, just do not expect it to be on par with the first.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Love to read second one as I have not read first one and oh yes I do want to read the first one
Dammit, so fricking expensive and it cannot be found, but I heard I can read it on line?

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
Love to read second one as I have not read first one and oh yes I do want to read the first one
Dammit, so fricking expensive and it cannot be found, but I heard I can read it on line?

Just finished the first one on my Kindle. Look it up on Amazon.

Maybe Thierry Labat will comment on here. He met Mr. Nyschens.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I really enjoyed the first one, although at times the time line was a bit confusing. guess i better buy the second one.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13449 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ian was dying of Cancer when the second book was being put together. He told nobody, but I suspected it. He pushed the lad who was helping him with the editing too hard and they had a fall out- simply because Andy didn't understand why Ian was so desperate to get it finished.

I don't know which version Safari Press are bringing out- the one edited by Andy Fenwick was a darn good reaad- the one thrown together in a couple of weeks by Gordon Stark was not of the same cailber.

I liked Ian- did the Eulogy at his Furneral, and helped navigate arround the National Parks BS so Ian could be cremated in the Zambezi valley as he wished- but oh boy could he be difficult at time- nearly as bad as my father

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Months in the Sun is a great read and what a character Ian was. Loved every word. The second was a big let down.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had read Ians first book before I went to Africa. As he also used, and favored the the 450 No2, it added to the excitement of the book for me. It is one of my most favorite African hunting books.

I had the pleasure of visiting with Ian at his home in Harare in 2006. He had heard from a mutual friend that I was an elephant hunter, and used a 450 No2 and was comming over for another elephant hunt.

I really enjoyed meeting and visiting with him.

While he was frail at the time, he was still sharp as a tack. I would love to have hunted with him.

He gave me copy of his second book, which I will always cherish.

He was very nice, very friendly, and very personable.

We discussed the advantages of the 450 No2 over ALL other Nitro Express rounds. Big Grin

We exchanged stories on taking elephants up close. He still had that gleem in his eyes.

No doubt one of the Great Adventures of his day.

I am Proud to have met him.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
any way to get both versions?

Posts: 10382 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Richard Harland took us to Ian's home shortly before his death. We interviewed him and have what is now classic Africana on tape from a man the likes we shall see no more of. A character of note. He had written the 2nd book and was cussing publishers at the time! An honor to meet him and to have, if only for a short time, to cross paths with a true legend. I agree, Months Of The Sun is the masterpiece of the Zambezi valley, my favorite place in Africa.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave I recently purchased the dvd and thoroughly enjoyed seeing Ian after reading his first book.

I am glad you have captured the sprirts of some great hunters for us to enjoy.

I would like to read Ian's second book too.

Best wishes, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1976 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Just found first one on Amazon for $ 129.00
I thought it was a good deal.

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
One of the neatest hours I spent in Africa was with my sons visiting with Ian in his home. It was July 2005, before this hunt with Buzz Charlton, who was kind enough to introduce me to Ian:

http://forums.accuratereloadin.../6321043/m/600105803

He was gracious and eager to talk about his 2nd book. I actually held and looked over his hand-written notes. I recall how his eyes beamed as he talked about getting it published. The only "trophy" that I remember seeing was a pair of elephant cow tusks hanging on the wall.

This was my first elephant bull hunt, and he seemed to grasp how special it was going to be, with my sons along. We had no idea he was sick, and I assumed next time in Harare I would see him again. He gave us some fresh bananas from his garden to take along on our hunt.

For whatever reason, Ian really left an impression on me. I am sure this winter I will re-read his first book again, and enjoy it just as much as all the previous times.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote