Find
Notify
Tools

Mkomazi/Umba GRs????
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted
As near as I can tell no one currently hunts the Mkomazi/Umba GRs in northeastern Tanzania. I was thumbing through a friend's copy of a Mark Sullivan book and he mentions hunting there in captions of a couple pictures. Does anyone still hunt it? If not what happened?

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I thought Mkomazi was a non hunting area?

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
I may be a non hunting area today, but I'm not sure that's always been the case. That's what I'm wondering though.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett Adam Barringer:
I may be a non hunting area today, but I'm not sure that's always been the case. That's what I'm wondering though.

Brett

Brett,

As far as I can recall Mkomazi was shut down as a hunting area quite some time back - it was last allocated to Vulture Hunting Safaris. I have not heard of Umba ever being a registered hunting area but because of it boundary with Tsavo it is a no hunting zone, possibly to curb cross-border poaching activities.

Posts: 307 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 19 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of TwoZero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett Adam Barringer:
I was thumbing through a friend's copy of a Mark Sullivan book...

Wink

Posts: 270 | Location: Bay Area, CA | Registered: 19 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mkomazi is earmarked to become a National Park soon. In fact, I believe TANAPA has already taken over the management....

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
Brett,
Do you suppose it's closed cause Bwana MS gutshot all the buffalo?
stir

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3543 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
That's my best guess Steve. Big Grin Thanks Bwanamich for the clarification.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson