Find
Notify
Tools

Career in Wildlife Conservation
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
I am looking for some guidance from my fellow AR brethren...

Last month, I was laid off from my job as a Relationship Manager/Loan Officer at Capital Farm Credit. Our office primarily dealt with real estate loans for acreage properties (10 acres and up). Due to the dramatic increase in interest rates over the last 18 months, the demand for land loans in our area plummeted, which caused our loan volume to decrease to the point where they decided to let go of 2 of the 3 lenders in my office.

Honestly, I'm trying to look at it as a blessing in disguise and a sign from the universe that I need to find something I actually enjoy. I worked there for almost 3 years, and while it is an excellent company to work for (very good pay and benefits), lending was simply not for me and I will probably not work in lending again.

Prior to working at Capital Farm Credit, I worked for Whitetail Properties Real Estate for 9 years selling farm & ranch and hunting property. I thoroughly enjoyed my time working in real estate. My only reason for leaving was due to the volatile nature of the business, and we wanted my wife to be a stay-at-home mom (hence why I took a salaried job in lending). I would consider going back into real estate, but we now have two young children, and working in a strictly commission-based job with no benefits/insurance is just not feasible for me.

This brings me to my main topic of discussion. I am considering looking for a career that is somehow tied to wildlife conservation or the hunting industry. It likely will be something on the corporate side, where I can hopefully make enough money to support my family (i.e. sales, marketing, fundraising, etc...)

A few conservation organizations that come to mind are:

- Safari Club International
- Dallas Safari Club
- Houston Safari Club
- Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
- The Nature Conservancy
- NRCS

There are many other smaller organizations I know of as well (Cabela Family Foundation, Conservation Force, Texas Wildlife Association, etc...) but they seem less accessible for a formal employment opportunity. I have an agricultural business degree and 13 years of sales experience, and might also consider a position with a reputable outdoor/ag/hunting/firearm company under the right circumstances.

I welcome any guidance or advice you guys might be able to offer....or ideas about other organizations/fields to consider. I'm really just trying to deal with this curve ball that has been thrown my way, and make the best of it.

Thanks everyone, and I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and New Year holiday.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote