New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Help Fast
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know I can do a search but I need some quick ideas and guidance. I am closing deal now on a Botswana Elephant (cancel or quota I am not sure) and will be leaving for J'Burg on August 2 arriving on August 3rd. My next leg is into Victoria Falls on the morning of the 4th. From there, we will drive to camp. Question I have is related to J'burg. Will I need to do paperwork to import rifle or will it wait in Bond with SAA. Second leg is with SAA as well into Vic. falls. If so, what do you guys recommend how I handle. All other trips have either been through Europe or directly into country of hunt without spending the night. I want to avoid all hassles if I can. Only rifle with me will be my double 470. Will let you know more as it firms up.

Thanks, feel free to PM me if you wish as I will be travelling for the next week.

Regards,

Larry

York, SC

one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Hey Larry

I can't help you with South African law but just wanted to tell you to have a great time!

Shoot'em between the eyes!!!!! BOOM

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ron, just trying to get all my stuff together. I ususally plan better than this.

York, SC

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
On my last trip to Zim in May we had to over night in J'Burg (Afton G/H) and we had to get a SA gun permit which was not too much of a problem.
If you are flying to Vic Falls you may also need a Zim permit and if returning through Zim you might want to get a double entry Visa.
How many hours are you in J'Burg for?
ozhunter

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
If you spend the night in RSA you will need a import permit. The process is a lot quicker now.
Check with your outfitter in Botswana, we as RSA citizens must apply in advance for a import permit in Botswana. Make sure that your ourfitter will arrange it for you.

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got my permit in 10 min a few weeks ago when i whent to RSA to hunt! I just followed the instruktions in the info provided right here on the forum: https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6321043/m/388105234

There was a bit of troubble both when I entered and left RSA but it sorted out just fine.

I useally take my rifle apart and pack it in my suitcase when I go on a airplane. It have worked out fine on several trips both with by benchrifles and hunting rifles. This time I did as usual and put a firearms tag on the sutiecase and filled in the paiperwork British Airways demands. My bag turned up on the luggage belt in Jo-burg and no Securicor staff showed up...... I took my suitcase and whent to the customs guys and told them that I have a rifle in my case! The friendly customs guy only said that he could take me to SAPS......

When I arrived at the SAPS office a police officer took care of me and he was a bit conserned about the fact that I got my rifle and whent tru customs without anyone from Securicor assisting my gun. The police didn´t give me a hard time about it but the guys from customs and Securicor did take som heat.

The police also STRONGLY advised me to get a gun-case for my trip home. He told me that I wouldn´t get my gun back home in the suitecase Eeker

There was a few other hunters in the office and one guy was for sure from US and he had two Tuff Pac cases. I didn´t have time to ask him if he was a member here att AR. The Americans PH was with him in the office helping him out and he overheard my disussion about the suitcase/guncase. The PH was a friendly guy that told me that I could buy a case at any gunstore at a good price.

After a few weeks of good hunting along with friends we got back to Jo-burg to go back home. The first thing that happended at the airport was that we was aproatched by two guys that told us that we needed them to help us with the rifle to get it thru the SAPS office before we go home....... I had been warned about guys trying to beat hunters for tips when leaving the contry and I told them that I didn´t need any help but they keept on asking for tips and told us that we really needed their help. I told them that I wouldnt do anything before I got to the check in and get in contact with the check in staff. They left and after another 5-10 min. a guy from Securicor turned up with a Securicor jacket and a badge. And asked for my permit on the rifle. I hesitated a bit to give it up but he wasn´t asking for tips and looked a lot more calm and trustworthy that the two previous guys so I gave him my permit. The guy from Securcor was a tru pro and handled me swift and without any troubble. He even helped the check in staff to fill in the airline paipers for carrying firearms. After I have checked in my bag the Guy from Securicor took me to the SAPS office for deparures (located at the same spot as in 2004) and had a look at my rifle. I spent less than 5 min with the paiperwork when I was departing from RSA!

We was boarding our fligth by a bus that took us from the gate to the aircraft and when I left the terminal building the guy from Securicor was outside on airside telling me that my gun was loaded on the aircraft and everything was ok. I know that the staff on Securicor isn´t supposed to get tips but I really regretet that I spent my last Rand on a bottle of KWV brandy just before we whent to the gate....... I would gladly have given him a tip for beeing so professional handling me and my rifle!!

Stefan

The bitter taste of poor quality stays in the mouth far longer than the sweet taste of the low price!

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry,

Are you by chance hunting through Doug Hidden in CH8? I am leaving the US on the 14th of August and going on an elephant hunt with them. I am taking the same itinerary as yourself- overnight in Jo'berg, then up to the Falls for a short charter across the Bots border and drive into the concession. I would be glad to help you with any of your paperwork, requirements, etc. Give me a call at 361-852-0537 or send me an email at safaris@trip.net if you have any questions.

Regards,
John Barth

Posts: 157 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You will need permits for SA (www.riflepermits.com) and also for Zim (on arrival) and IN ADVANCE for Botswana (your PH is supposed to tell you this...if he didn't, he's no PH)>

Regards,

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote