THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Are there many British hunters still hunting big game in Africa???

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are there many British hunters still hunting big game in Africa???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted
Are there still British hunters,taking the big 5 in Africa??? Its mainly American members and a few members from Europe and a few from Australia/New Zealand posting here.I know there is at least one British PH posting here. Do you guys meet many British hunters in Africa and to the PHs that post here do you have many British clients??

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1871 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm the Brit PH.... British by birth and English by the grace of God. Wink Wink

I guess about a third of our client base are Brits. (from a very wide range of backgrounds). The rest would be split about equally between Americans and Europeans...... Again, from a wide variety of backgrounds.

One of Us
Picture of nampom
posted Hide Post
Hi Shakari from another Brit PH.....British by birth and married an Afrikaner thumb

As I do mainly bowhunting and any form of hunting with bows are illegal in the UK Confused my client base from the UK is small, mainly the States and Europe and then they can only take plains game as the Big 5 is illegal to hunt with the bow in Namibia.

Rifle hunting is more popular with the Brits but again not as much as other countries.

All the best
Roger

VIERANAS Bow & Hunting
Adventure Safaris Namibia
#TPH00157

Roger@vieranasbowhunt.com
www.vieranasbowhunt.com

http://www.facebook.com/Vieranas.Safaris.Namibia

"The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport" Saxton Pope

Posts: 240 | Location: Africa Namibia - Kamanjab | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Hi Nampom

Where are you in Namibia and where in the UK are you from?

I'm originally from Kent by way of various parts of Berkshire and now in White River RSA. - Although we now operate in a variety of African countries.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that when Britain's colonies became independant hunting for big game hunting by Brits came to an almost complete stop. Up until that time they could hunt in waht was then paradise for next to nothing. It was one of the perks of a military job in India and Africa.

But they invented trophy hunting along with Rowland Ward's Record Book and they haven't forgotten their roots. Also North Sea oil seems to have helped their economy.

Now after a cessation of many years they are coming back in steadily increasing numbers. I think the thing that held them up for so many years was the thought of having to pay for something that was formerly free.

Same with Canadians but for slightly different reason. Canadians have been much slower than Americans to buy African safaris because they live in a fairly uninhabited country and can buy a moose or bear tag for $50 and they they can have a good time for peanuts so why spend 1,000 times that much and not be able to use the meat.

VBR,

Ted Gorsline

Posts: 1116 | Location: asted@freenet.de | Registered: 14 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nampom
posted Hide Post
Shakari.....I was born in Bath and then emigrated to Scotland Wink for 12 years then back to the New Forest were they still live.

I have now been in Namibia for 14 years. I am up in the north-west of Namibia, south of Kamanjab and do mainly bowhunting, I am the owner/ outfitter of Vieranas Safaris.

How long have you been out in SA and how is your Afrikaans?

beer

All the best
Roger

VIERANAS Bow & Hunting
#TPH00157

www.vieranasbowhunt.com

"The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport" Saxton Pope

Posts: 240 | Location: Africa Namibia - Kamanjab | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I've been living in SA for 6 years now but running the business since 1990..... and my first African hunt was 10 years before that.

'Fraid my Afrikaans is pretty lousy. Roll Eyes

How were your rains this year? - Our's came very late but as it turned out were very good....

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I know Abigal Day is a British huntress and has taken the Big Five. Also believe she is president of the British SCI. I've read several articles she has written and she seems to do it the right way! She shot a hell of a big tusker with Russ Broom's outfit in Zim...something like 80 pounds per side a year or so ago.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7538 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't really want to answer for Nampom, but I have a little bush camp south of Kamanjab where I go every year for a while .. lots of rain this year .. grass at the tops of fence posts, the land owner informed me a couple of days ago .. Roll Eyes

Posts: 1538 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big rains in Namibia this year. I book for Kamanjab Trophy Hunting and Helmke had to mow around some water holes this year...that must be something different for sure!
Now if I could just get those rains on my ranches in west Texas...we damn sure are not having to mow out there...too dry!

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nampom
posted Hide Post
Yes, Namibia had a good rains season this year over much of the country, Windhoek had the best rain season since they started recording rain figures.

The town Mariental in the south got badly flooded when the upper banks of the Fish River overflowed.

Was in the same boat as Helmke this week clearing shoulder height grass at the waterholes and constantly on the lookout for Leopard as we have had fresh tracks every day.

Scruffy where is your camp?

Happy Easter to all from a rainy Namibia
thumb

All the best
Roger

VIERANAS Bow & Hunting
#TPH00157

www.vieranasbowhunt.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
Hi Nampom

Where are you in Namibia and where in the UK are you from?

I'm originally from Kent by way of various parts of Berkshire and now in White River RSA. - Although we now operate in a variety of African countries.

Shakari,

If you know him do you have Ekim's contact info. He does the bone jewelry in White River.

Posts: 30 | Location: NYC | Registered: 13 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
FMA,

'Fraid I don't know him at all...... do you know where in White River his shop/workshop/outlet is? - If you can give me some idea, I'll try to track him down if you want me to.......

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
FMA,

'Fraid I don't know him at all...... do you know where in White River his shop/workshop/outlet is? - If you can give me some idea, I'll try to track him down if you want me to.......

He's an out there dude. If you are driving from the new shopping center that has the car museum back into town, you bang a right by the speedtrap and he's on the left accross from the car repair place.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
OK, Well I know the Casterbridge Motor Museum and only live a few minutes drive from there on White River Country Estate close to Oliver's Restaurant...... if you drive past the speed trap Confused you have the "indiginous" but station on your right by the traffic lights..... and then where? If it's on the left just past those lights it's open ground that's just been laid out for building....... if you turn right there you go into the bus station....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
OK, Well I know the Casterbridge Motor Museum and only live a few minutes drive from there on White River Country Estate close to Oliver's Restaurant...... if you drive past the speed trap Confused you have the "indiginous" but station on your right by the traffic lights..... and then where? If it's on the left just past those lights it's open ground that's just been laid out for building....... if you turn right there you go into the bus station....

I was kidding with the directions. That's what I remember, but was driven there by the furniture maker who owns that shopping center and the car museum. It's been a year almost.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Oh OK.

The guy who drove you is Hans Van De Merwe then..... a very nice guy who also lives on the Country Estate. He actually owns the entire Casterbridge Centre.

did you visit Lifeform Taxidermy when you were here? ..... and come to that, where did you stay?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh OK.

The guy who drove you is Hans Van De Merwe then..... a very nice guy who also lives on the Country Estate. He actually owns the entire Casterbridge Centre.

did you visit Lifeform Taxidermy when you were here? ..... and come to that, where did you stay?

Hans made some stuff from my friends in Houghton and I was looking at possibly using him for some furniture production. Ended up working with Silvio Rech's brother in Joburg. Very nice guy. Hans is the one who introduced me to Ekim, who it tuend out is one of the subcontractors to a bag company with whom I was working.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
So where are you from? - Your profile seems to be blank....

Sleeperwoods is another big furniture setup here. They're not really my cup of tea but to each his own. They have a showroom in Casterbridge as well.....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sleeperwoods is another big furniture setup here. They're not really my cup of tea but to each his own. They have a showroom in Casterbridge as well.....

From south Georgia originally, live in NYC. Have the only safari outfitter on Madison Ave.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Agree with your assessment on Sleeperwoods.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Sheeeit, you came a long way for furniture! Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sheeeit, you came a long way for furniture! Wink

Happy with how it turned out, though it took 2 yrs to get just right.

http://fmallen.com/roorkhee_folding_chair/

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Not only a nice chair but a nice site..... PM sent.

one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
FMA

Like (Steve) AKA Shakari says, that is a nice website.

That bit of HISTORY on Bunny Allen is very interesting as well

Bunny Allen History

Cheers, Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote