Tools

Re: AR FMJ Shoot-Out
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Andy
posted
Thanks Tim,

Let us know how it goes.

If you can, elevate them on a couple saw horses so you are shooting parallel to the ground and your line of sight. It does seem to help.

Good luck on your hunt.

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Andy,

The 1-12" twist is actually a Taylor, under construction, but matters not. You have to tell me sometime what bullets at what velocities and the source of the secret water cans!

Posts: 19364 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
An international collaborative effort to test most readily available FMJ and monometal solids in a series of 9 foot long water containers has been inspired by my thread, "458 Update."

This is the sign up sheet for the test as conducted by Accurate Reloading members.

So far the following worthy gentlemen have volunteered their time, wealth, and rifles.

9.3 x 62, Alf.

375 H and H, 1-12 twist, RIP.

375 Weatherby, 1-12 twist, RIP.

.416 Taylor, 1-12 twist Will or Canuck.

.416 Rmeington, 1-14 twist, Will.

.404 Jeffery, Alf.

.470 Mgobo, Canuck.

.450 Dakota, 1-12 twist, Andy.

.500 Jeffery, Alf.

.585 wildcat, 1-22 twist, Karl.

Where are all of you .458 Winchester Magnum shooters???

Andy

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of Tim_Ryan
posted Hide Post
Andy,

I doubt you could get usable ones at a recycle center as the way they recycle them (at least around here) is to grind them up. Seems there is only one rig to do it and they drive around WA, OR, and ID and have recycle events. I would imagine that nurseries would have some available but not sure they would have them in any quantity. Our elk season starts this coming weekend but I will try to capture a .375 before then if I can find time before then.

Tim

Posts: 103 | Location: WA | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
Alf,

You are the man!

You are hired for the 500 Jeff, 404 and 9.3 x 62.

Thats alot of time and money to test three different calibers though.

I tried my WALMART containers today and dont think they will work.

I have a freind who runs an injection molding company and will see if he can find me a truck load of circa 1-2 gallon rectangular jugs. These bullets do veer off course and we need something large enough to capture them.

Thanks for helping!

Andy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Andy,

I see you waited until I sold my 50 Beowulf, which due to it's nature of shooting heavy bullets REAL slow would have out penetrated all the others!

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I was hoping you would offer to help, as I thought you had tried a wooden stop box in the past yourself. Please talk to Will, as it would be nice if we did not rely on one person to test more than one rifle. The containers get expensive. I have put you down for the 470 Mgobo. What velocity range will it cover?

Hi Andy,

You are actually thinking of Dave E., the creator of the 470 Mbogo. I am sure he and I can get together to help out with this testing, however, as it is pretty expensive, and he has spent a lot of time and money on the penetration tests he has already done to date.

Velocity wise, Dave's tests have ranged from about 2150fps to 2600fps.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote