Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting boots, width ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Take a chance to post here...
Looking for light, uninsulated 8" boots for upcoming PG hunt in May.

Cabelas have lots of good stuff, but I´m unsure about the width code.
What is E, EE, EEE and D compared to normal, wide, extra wide?

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1879 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cunningham
posted Hide Post
Arlid,

The progression of boot sizes is relative to the lettering.

For example: D is wide, E would be a little wider, EE would be wider than E and so on. I hope this helps some what.

Walk them in a couple of weeks before your hunt so your feet will enjoy the hunt as I know you are going to.

Global Sportsmen Outfitters, LLC
Bob Cunningham
404-802-2500

Posts: 580 | Location: I am neither for you or against you. I am completely the opposite. | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Normal feet (if there is such a thing) are size D.
I have narrow feet and require a size B. CRYBABY
E is wider than "normal". EE is damned wide.
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, AR is almost like Wikipedia, only better Wink

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1879 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
have a look at russel mocasin , they will actually measure your feet and coustom fit to you , they also have a bunch of sizes for direct order ...what i most like about them , is the crepe soles that are very quiet ...

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have wide feet, want comfortable boots, only way to go is Courteneys. you can buy them in Zim or on the Westley Richards web site.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
I've been trying out a lot of different shoes and boots for my upcoming hunt in Namibia. I've learned that for the most part you don't need heavy boots with tough leather and hard soles, or heavy tread.

However, I have also learned that one shoe company's D can be wider than another's E, or even a different style of the same company's shoe, or sometimes the SAME style by the same company can fit differently depending upon when it was made.

Luckily for me I found a company that gives me great prices, has free returns (and they pay the shipping) and will even let me keep them and try them for 3 months before returning. Can't beat that.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 555 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: 09 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnCrighton:
I've been trying out a lot of different shoes and boots for my upcoming hunt in Namibia. I've learned that for the most part you don't need heavy boots with tough leather and hard soles, or heavy tread.

However, I have also learned that one shoe company's D can be wider than another's E, or even a different style of the same company's shoe, or sometimes the SAME style by the same company can fit differently depending upon when it was made.

Luckily for me I found a company that gives me great prices, has free returns (and they pay the shipping) and will even let me keep them and try them for 3 months before returning. Can't beat that.

You can't say all that and then not share who that company is!

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I flew to Namibia for a PG hunt I wore these Filson camp shoes on the plane. I prefer slip-ons for all air travel. SAA lost my luggage, including my field boots, for 4 days so I wore them in the field comfortably and without any problems. Lots of shoes will serve you well.

http://www.filson.com/product/index.jsp?productId=20925...17&parentPage=family

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
If you are going to do any hunting in the hills or mountains (zebra?)I would suggest a little stronger boot than what would just fine in flatter sandier terrain.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will be hunting the first tree days i Northern Cape / Vandercloof Dam area for springbuck and black wildebeest.
The outfitter sait the terrain is semi arid / rocky. Then to Limpopo / Stockport border crossing for six days hunting bushbuck and waterbuck +++.
Here I know the terrain is rather flat and sandy with dens riverine forest along the river.

I have been thinking about the unisulated upland kind of boots.
Like Brownings lightweight kangaroo.

Last time I used my old mountain hiking boots, but left them for the tracker.

I have a pair of Courteny Trooper, but they dosn´t fit my foot at all.
I like the army style going with 8 to 10 " boots and the pants tied up tight outside the boot.
Keeps all the shitty stuff away. (edit: this means the shitty stuff from not getting into the boots from the OUTSIDE, bugs, grass seeds and that sort of thing...ok? Wink )

Arild Iversen.

One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
onlineshoes.com

quote:
Originally posted by The Slug:
quote:
Originally posted by JohnCrighton:

You can't say all that and then not share who that company is!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 555 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: 09 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rich Elliott:
Normal feet (if there is such a thing) are size D.
I have narrow feet and require a size B. CRYBABY
E is wider than "normal". EE is damned wide.
Rich Elliott

Unless it's UK/Euro sizing and then shift it over by one. D is narrow, E normal, wide=EE==F, wider=EEE=G. Super wide will be H (rarely EEEE); I have no idea why.

Posts: 34 | Location: Arlington, VA | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
Boots, like bullets, booze and women, are very personal. We all have our special likes and dislikes. I have both the Courtneys (Safari model) and 2 pair of Russell PH's. I much prefer the Russells. The Courtneys are comfortable and will outlast me but are too wide and my foot slides around in rough terrain. If you have the opportunity go to the Houston, Dallas or Reno shows and get custom fit by Russell. Some have had problems with them, but I really, really like mine. In the end, you just need to find a pair of boots that are comfortable, fit well, provide adequate/proper protection and support and that you can walk 8 hours a day in....not too much to ask eh????

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote