New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cheetah
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am just sitting here thinking ahead for my first African hunt. I have hunted US for elk, mule deer, whietail, etc. and Canada for black bear. But never Africa.
My plans are for basic plains game: Kudu, gemsbok, zebra, etc. However if Cheetah was available would you consider it?
Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would not. They are too much like dogs for me to want to shoot one. I would feel like I had shot the neighbor's pet.

I jumped off the bakkie in Botswana's Okavango to try to pet a couple of cheetah brothers hunting as a pair, but they would have none of it. They skeedaddled as soon as my feet hit the ground, though they let the bakkie drive to within 20 feet of them.

I had hoped to pose with them for a photo snapped by the PH. We would all be sitting on our haunches, me between the two cheetah brothers with my arms around their necks, affectionately. Wink

Swim with the sharks, run with the cheetahs ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
If you are in the U.S. it would be an expensive photo if you did shoot one. You can not bring them into the U.S. yet as far as I know.

I think I would shoot one if it were free. They are considered pests on many of the farms there so you may be able to make a deal.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I could have shot one in Zim in March.
Since I could not bring it back into the US, I did not even think about shooitng it.
WE watched him for quite a while, he was a beautiful cat.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, yes, the CITES problem is common knowledge.

Not much sport in shooting a cheetah. If they needed thinning out as varmints it would be a neccessary evil.

But that is probably more like the wolf thing around Yellowstone Park.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
It is certainly a personal matter as to whether you want to shoot one or not. If it is legal game where you are hunting I would have no problem shooting one if for no other reason than it would be an interesting animal to see up close.

People hunt for different reasons. A lot of the "sport" of any hunting varies so much do to situations that are not under our control. Some hunts will be easy and some will be a real challenge. Off the top of my head I can not think of a legal hunt of any kind that I would cosider "unsporting." Certrainly some are more difficult and more rewarding.

If you want to take a cheetah and it is legal, have at it. It may be considered impolite not to if you are hunting on a farm experiencing livestock predation. Just make sure you work out the details of any cost before you go out hunting.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Here's a couple of pictures of me with a Cheetah taken in 2005. The claws on cheetah are very sharp, even on young ones!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Isn't there a move in Nambia to make them more of a big game animal for hunters,,seem to remember some thing about the farmers shooting them out pretty bad there due to live stock loss,and some one or group moving to get them clear of CITIES

Stay Alert,Stay Alive
Niet geschoten is altijd mis

Hate of America is the defeat position of failed individuals and the failing state

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Cheetah is one animal I will not hunt. thumbdown
Leopard on the other hand thumb
And don't ask why. Confused
ozhunter

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
My 8 year old daughter reads my Safari magazines with me and is obsessed with wanting to shoot a cheetah when she is older. She even has a photo that I copied off of a Outfitters web sight of a hunter with his cheetah tapped to one of her targets on her bed room door.

I think it's cool but we will se how long it lastes!

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Don't show her the pictures of me with the Cheetah cub then.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With all of one trip to Namibia behind me, I have the impression that cattle farms that take hunters (as opposed to hunting farms) treat the cats as vermin. I stayed at a farm in June where the owner needled me about not shooting a cat or jackal every day. While this was good natured fun, the topic was a source of friction between the owner and the PH I was with. In the end, the owner said that even if I wasn't interested in a cat, I should shoot any I saw and we'd work things out later. I probably would have taken the shot had one come up and I may have even been aiming at the cat too.

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I hunted in Zimbabwe I came across cheetah which were on quota however they could not be imported to the US so I had no interest.

After seeing them in the wild I came under the impression that they couldn't be much of a challenge once you found one.

Later, I got one of the PH's to admitted flat out that cheetah were not much of a trophy. The man didn't make such a statement about duikers!

He said if you didn't kill them with the shot that all you had to do is watch where they ran because they would run full out until they dropped. Then it was just a matter of walking up and finishing them off point blank because they could not get up for several minutes after that sprint.

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bah ! Unless you've been chasing it with a damn Toyota ... I have hunted about 15 weeks in Namibia now .. and I haven't found them to be an easy target ... Heck, a snow leopard is attainable once the cross hairs are on the shoulder ... trying to get that accomplished is a chore ... hammering Roll Eyes Big Grin

Posts: 1544 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
No, I would not shoot a cheetah. They're not the least bit dangerous, unlike lion or leopard.

Danger is the only draw to me of hunting a predator.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13627 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
I had absolutely ZERO motivation to shoot this cheetah in the SAVE Conservancy. Ditto with the white rhino we tracked, or the wild (painted) dogs we saw in Sapi. Just getting pictures of these animals in a wild area was a treat.

MR - You might actually be in the majority on this one!

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally, I'd rather have one as a pet/sight "hound" if their temperment is controllable.

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill C:
MR - You might actually be in the majority on this one!

Is it too late to change my mind? Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13627 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I get a sense that of all the stuff I've seen (and shot) in Africa, these guys are the most trusting - of all african animals they are about the only wild(!) thing that is tameable quite happily. I'm not convinced they do real damage at all - quite the reverse sometimes - a few of the airports have tame ones to keep the pigs down from straying on the runways

I wouldn't shoot one

Hollis

Posts: 34 | Location: Surrey, England (Nr UK for you US folks) | Registered: 22 August 2006Reply With Quote