Find
Notify
Tools

Memorial Day
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted
I'm presently sitting in my den with material things that remind me of some amazingly wonderful stuff that's happened in the last 33 years of my life. There are African trophies... a warthog skull, buffalo horns, etc.. pictures of a double rifle shot elephant and me. Dangerous game rifles that are works of art. My two drop-dead beautiful daughers stare back at me from a picture on the t.v. They are just down the street with their friends celebrating the end of school and honor roll grades. I just made a packing list for a bear hunt and fishing trip to Manitoba in a week and 45 days after I return I'll be in the Selous.

And Lenny lies in the ground and has been there every one of those 33 years.

He was a major of Marines, a graduate of the Naval Academy, a fit and handsome fellow who made the ladies swoon.

He grew up in the ski country of New England and was as fine a skier as I've ever met. I was a novice and he selflessly always took the time to teach me, even though I was a lowly "Brown Bar".

Though we knew each other in the states, we really got to be friends in Japan at MCAS Iwakuni. We spent many an hour drinking cheap whiskey at the "O" Club discussing women, hunting and fishing, our families and war.

We both had "special weapons" designations and we quietly talked about what would happen if we were ordered to strap WMD's on our airplanes and prove "mutually assured destruction" was a fact and not a theory. Neither of us thought we could do it.

Lenny flew ugly-as-hell A-6's. He could bend that thing around with the best. And boy, with a load of MK-82's he could turn chicken shit into chicken salad for grunts in contact below him.

In the face of heavy triple-A, probably a radar-controlled quad 23mm gun, he fearlessly rolled in on a target on a pretty summer day in 1972. His right wing was shot off and he never made it out of the A/C.

I sit here enjoying my family, my stuff and 33 years of memories that Lenny never had.

I owe him.

Damn straight, Memorial Day means something to me.

If you are happy with the opportunies that you've had in your life, and regardless from what country you're from, tell a vet thanks... and when he tears up, it's not because of his pride in service, it's because some very dead and very brave man gave you and him the opportunity to sit in their den... and muse.

Semper Fi, Lenny. I love you, buddy.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Very well said, Ernest. The price of freedom is a value the protected shall never know. Semper Fi, jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
A hearty "cheers", a tip of the glass raised in honor and a moment of silence for all who paid so dearly for our freedom. Let us all remember this Memorial Day that freedom is not free! Well written, well said Judge.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:
I'm presently sitting in my den with material things that remind me of some amazingly wonderful stuff that's happened in the last 33 years of my life. There are African trophies... a warthog skull, buffalo horns, etc.. pictures of a double rifle shot elephant and me. Dangerous game rifles that are works of art. My two drop-dead beautiful daughers stare back at me from a picture on the t.v. They are just down the street with their friends celebrating the end of school and honor roll grades. I just made a packing list for a bear hunt and fishing trip to Manitoba in a week and 45 days after I return I'll be in the Selous.

And Lenny lies in the ground and has been there every one of those 33 years.

He was a major of Marines, a graduate of the Naval Academy, a fit and handsome fellow who made the ladies swoon.

He grew up in the ski country of New England and was as fine a skier as I've ever met. I was a novice and he selflessly always took the time to teach me, even though I was a lowly "Brown Bar".

Though we knew each other in the states, we really got to be friends in Japan at MCAS Iwakuni. We spent many an hour drinking cheap whiskey at the "O" Club discussing women, hunting and fishing, our families and war.

We both had "special weapons" designations and we quietly talked about what would happen if we were ordered to strap on WMD's on our airplanes and prove "mutually assured destruction". Neither of us thought we could do it.

Lenny flew ugly-as-hell A-6's. He could bend that thing around with the best. And boy, with a load of MK-82's he could turn chicken shit into chicken salad for grunts in contact below him.

In the face of heavy triple-A, probably a radar-controlled quad 23mm gun, he fearless rolled in on a target on a pretty spring day in 1972. His right wing was shot off and he never made it out of the A/C.

I sit here enjoying my family, my stuff and 33 years of memories that Lenny never had.

I owe him.

Damn straight, Memorial Day means something to me.

If you are happy with the opportunies that you've had in your life, and regardless from what country you're from, tell a vet thanks... and when he tears up, it's not because of his pride in service, it's because some very dead and very brave man gave you and him the opportunity to sit in their den... and muse.

Semper Fi, Lenny. I love you, buddy.

And that brought a tear to my eye.

Tonight I was sitting quietly outside at a small fire I built of wet and smokey wood contemplating that which makes Memorial Day.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JudgeG, Fine Words.

While Memorial Day is always a Special Day, It is even more so when It falls durring a time when we have American Soldiers in harms way.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
JudgeG, you brought it all home. Thank you.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JudgeG,

Very well said.

I remember when I came home from the first Gulf War. There was a huge dinner party with some of the parents bringing their children. I was born in libya to an American father and a Scottish mother and raised in the Middle East, so several of my friends here in America are exiles from Libya or Middle Easterners living in America. Some of the kids were asking me about the war and what it was like to be shot at, or, the more frequent question, what it was like to shoot somebody. I brushed both of these questions off with lame jokes and vague answers. Being a veteran I am sure you understand the first reason for the non-answers: if you haven't done it you will not understand. The other reason I didn't want to talk about my experiences to these kids is that I was not sure how they would take the fact that I was fighting Muslims.

Three weeks ago I went to a homecoming dinner party for two of the "kids" who were at my homecoming party. One was an Army linguist and the other was a Navy SEAL. Both of these "kids" were Libyan, the SEAL was born in the same hospital as I was in Tripoli, the linguist was born in Houston, TX.

When I was driving home after the party, I had a lump in my throat thinking about how young these "kids" were when I came home and how they were now in a much more dangerous environment than I was on my tour.

Before this year, I have always thought of Memorial Day as a "past tense" holiday for those who had gone before me, but now I realize it is also for those who came after me. Those brave souls who put themselves in harm's way, so that we can continue our way of life.

Thank you to all those who have gone before me and all those who defend our way of life today.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
After Viet Nam, I kinda hoped my son would not have to go into combat. Guess that's a wish every father has. Now I have grandsons who are enlisting this summer, despite both doing well in college. Couldn't talk them out of it, though. Their answer back to me was, "You quit college and enlisted...and then went on to get a commission. Why can't we?" Darn Brats.
Scared? Yes and no. Both are good boys. One hunted with me, the other was into other things. I just hoped...

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
JudgeG,

Very well said. Thanks to all vets for your service and sacrafices.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A heartfelt thank you and God bless all those that serve and have served our country.

John

There are those that do, those that dream, and those that only read about it and then post their "expertise" on AR!

Posts: 831 | Location: Mount Vernon, WA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On this day I always raise a toast to those lost ... and say a prayer for my sons and those of others who go in harm's way.

God Bless 'em.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Having been too young for one and too old for the next I thank those that have covered my ass for all these years. Most appreciated.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Amen.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

JudgeG,

Very powerful and hits the mark I'm sure for many who have served. I was fortunate that my seven years as a U.S. Naval Officer were served in a relative time of peace and never had to go into "harms way". My thoughts often turn to those men and women who have answered the call when we needed them. I will always be saddened by the loss of a serviceman but will be eternally grateful for the freedom they are protecting for for all of us. I hope everyone takes a few moments this weekend to remember those who have served as especially those serving today.

Phil

Posts: 535 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 17 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I walked the jungles of Viet Nam leading an infantry platoon. My son leads a mechanized infantry company just south of Baghdad. He had his first casualties this past Monday. Four of his men were killed when their Humvee was hit by an IED that was remotely detonated. These casualties and my son are citizen soldiers. They are part of of the Mississippi Rifles a 3500 member national guard brigade from all walks of life here in Ms. I attended the first of the four memorial services yesterday for Sgt. Sabo Parker a sixteen year vet who left a wife and two daughters. As I was quietly talking to Mrs. Parker giving my words of comfort and telling her that my son was her husbands company commander. As soon as I told her who I was, she straightened up and looked me in the eyes and told me she was glad to meet the father of the best commander her husband had ever had. She said her husband in many of his messages to her talked about his respect for my son as a man and leader. From that point there were two types of tears in my eyes, grief for the hurting family and tears of pride for my son.

Please remember those who have given all for this country and way of life and send a prayer of safety for our service members who are in harms way.

s

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ernest!
As long as good men gather and remember those who have gone before us, those people live on through us. Now Lenny's memory and deeds are with us. Not a bad epitaph!

Lest we forget!

God bless all who have stood and those who now go and stand in Harm's Way for us. Please, let me remember and be thankful always for the sacrifices of others for our freedoms.

Freedom's Liberties have not been cheap. They have been, and still now, being purchased at a terrible cost.

Lest we forget!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, thanks to all the vets who read and visit this site. I too think of some friends who have went on. I will silently raise a glass to their memory....in a ritual my wife tries to understand.

I would like to extend the thanks to those from other countries who are members or visit AR. I'm sure you hold your fallen GI's in a place of honor as we do. The US has had lots of help in defending freedom around the world. I spent time with some damn fine troops from West Germany, Australia, New Zeland, Scotland and Great Britian. Some have saved my life. Thanks to you for your sacrifice also............JJ

" venator ferae bestiae et aquae vitae "

Posts: 593 | Location: Southern WV, USA | Registered: 03 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too was lucky to serve in peace time, but always remember those that gave their all for us to have a better life.

God Bless.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well said, Judge.

I went to the funeral of a soldier last year; it's amazing how much more they are appreciated than during Vietnam. He was a PFC. in 1st Calvary and was my Grandson's roommate before joining. We miss you, Tony.

JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Ernest, a search for words would not yeald a better way to say "THIS IS WHAT MEMORIAL DAY MEANS!", than your great post!

All need to remember freedom is not free!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
quote:
... and regardless from what country you're from, tell a vet thanks...

Thanks, and Godspeed to those out there.

Martin

-----------------------
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. - R. Kipling

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well put "Judge"!

Thanks to all that have fallen, those who have served and those serving right now!

God bless them all!

Jeff

Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
I was going to wait until tomorrow to put up our banner, but after reading Judge's post I decided the sooner the better.

Good post.

Don

Posts: 26547 | Location: Where the pilgrims landed | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another Amen, brother.

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Freedom Is Not Free
By LCDR Kelly Strong, USCG - Copyright 1981

I watched the flag pass by one day,
It fluttered in the breeze.
A young Service man saluted it,
And then he stood at ease.

I looked at him in uniform
So young, so tall, so proud,
With hair cut square and eyes alert
He'd stand out in any crowd.

I thought how many men like him
Had fallen through the years.
How many died on foreign soil
How many mothers' tears?

How many pilots' planes shot down?
How many died at sea
How many foxholes were soldiers' graves?
No, freedom isn't free.

I heard the sound of Taps one night,
When everything was still,
I listened to the bugler play
And felt a sudden chill.

I wondered just how many times
That Taps had meant "Amen,"
When a flag had draped a coffin.
Of a brother or a friend.

I thought of all the children,
Of the mothers and the wives,
Of fathers, sons and husbands
With interrupted lives.

I thought about a graveyard
At the bottom of the sea
Of unmarked graves in Arlington.
No, freedom isn't free.

Posts: 64 | Location: Lowcountry, SC | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was never in the armed forces, I got a redemption because I was in DEA, I did recon in the jungles of Viet Nam in the Golden Triangle, In Mexico destroying pot fields and Heroin Labs, and in most of the 4 corners of the world, I lost 4 very dear and close friends in that endevor, Hector Jorden, was beat to death with Pipe, Richard Heath and his brother were shot and killed in the line of duty, Blackie Marrow was run over in a road block...

I will forever miss these guys, and a few others who served and gave their lives, but were less close to me, but good friends never the less...Those were hard years and I always enclude them in Memorial Day Services, they gave all they had for you and me, and left orphans and widows behind..Dedicated men all.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Each year I am reminded that while I made it home many did not. A very few words that have been said before, but still ever so appropiate. "All gave some, some gave all".

A.E. Pilot, Jr LCDR, USCG Ret.

Posts: 188 | Location: Northern, Tennesse | Registered: 19 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Ray:

I read your post with interest that you consider your friends in the DEA as "war" deaths. I certainly will never second guess that, particularly since just this last Sunday, while going over some of my recently deceased Dad's papers, I found what I thought to be an unusual certificate. It was signed by J. Edgar Hoover.

It was entitled for Meritorious Service During Wartime. Dad was an FBI agent from 1940-1945. Curious, as to what it meant, I asked Mom about the certificate and she explained that my father had been intimately involved with the German spies that landed on Long Island and at St. Augustine. He (and/or his peers) also did something quite dangerous chasing German agents in the Andes and spending months in Portugal. Daddy never would talk about it, and Mom says that it is because not all the fellows he served with survived those clandestine times.

And I never knew until last week!

In the late 1930's While Dad was at Quantico and Mom at Randolph-Macon in Lynchburg, VA., they used to meet at the Naval Academy (because it was chaperoned??). Anyway, when I was living in Hawaii, we all went to the Pearl Harbor Memorial. There is an amazing film of the attack that you can view. I'll be dad-gummed if they didn't know about 1/3 of the junior officers in the flicks. They told me at supper that night that most of those guys died before the war was over. Dad's was the "Greatest" generation.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The best and brightest are buried on foreign lands, buried facing the country they will never return to. We never taken anything from any war and have only left our dead.

Every generation of my family has fought in every war since the Civil War. All of us have been wounded but thanks be to God, none have had to pay the supreme sacrifice.

Freedom isn't free and the only currency accepted to pay for that freedom is a patriot's blood.

Swift, Silent, & Friendly

Posts: 426 | Location: Nevada | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
Judge
your post bought the tears. I,like so many, knew
a Lenny. And even though they are never far from my mind, special days like this and Nov 10 bring it all back. I was Recon and you flyers kept us alive. So like you I owe Lenny and many
more. So tonight I will sit in the stillness of the dark, beer in hand,and thank God for such men and then, the tears will fall.
Pete-you were not suppose to die. You are missed

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Judge- How true yor post, I have hated this day for years, the faces and names seem to dim over time, and this day comes, and its all as if were
are back in Dak-to,Pileku and a few other lost places.

Rest easy my brothers, Fair winds, and full chutes

"WHERE WE GOING? ALL THE WAY!"

Stay Alert,Stay Alive
Niet geschoten is altijd mis

Hate of America is the defeat position of failed individuals and the failing state

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
David:

I really try to use it (Memorial Day) to make sure we (all Americans) don't forget. I think that I can do that, maybe better than you, because flying just isn't as "personal" as being a grunt. Folks just don't come back in airplanes (fixed-wing, at least)... they just aren't there anymore. You don't really believe that you lost a squadron mate for a while.. then it slowly becomes a reality when you turn to ask a friend a question, or stop by his hooch... or have to rub his name off of the schedule board.

I always wondered why we sang songs in the "O" Club about crashes and dying. I guess we had to make it real to ourselves. War sucks.

On my little island of not many folks, the local Rotary Club puts on a Memorial Day service that draws about 3500 people. There is an orchestra of about 40 brass, 10 drums, 15 strings, etc. Singing patriotic songs are three or four folks that all usually have been graduated from Boston Conservatory or Julliard. They do a jam up job on the Star Spangled Banner!

We've been blessed with speakers that include Medal of Honor winners, Generals and Admirals and even a U.S. Senator (who toted a Silver Star, btw).

I was priviledged to select and invite the speaker for several years and then introduce him to the crowd. I always made it through the intro with out choking.... but as my girls would point out, I never got all the way off the bandstand without tears.

I've only missed one of those ceremonies in the last few years and that was when I was honored to speak at the VFW of a neighbooring county. Now, that one, I did choke up... It took me 15 minutes to give a 10 minute speach, I guess.. but I got to say some stuff I really wanted to.

Semper Fi,

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't hate the day, but really try to use it to make sure we don't forget.... Singing patriotic songs

It is the day when I deliberately fail to block out the memories of those who had their tour infinitely extended. Oftentimes I forget their names, but I remember their acned faces and nervous laughter. And I get mad when I hear patriotic songs because they didn't die for patriotism. They died for me and you, in place of me and you, and for an ideal. An ideal of a land where all men (and women) are equal under the law and the concept of freedom is upheld. This is not the land that upholds the ideal for which they died and a lot of us fought for. At 3 in the morning when the breeze swirls around, I wonder if they weren't the lucky ones.

All skill is in vain when a demon pisses on your gunpowder.

Posts: 262 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clifton Clowers
posted Hide Post
It used to be pretty hard at first but now that a third of a century is gone when I sit and think of those fellow paratroopers, especially the men in my own platoon, who were killed in action for the Republic of South Vietnam I just remember what George Patton said: "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."

Armed men are citizens. Unarmed men are subjects. Disarmed men are serfs.

Posts: 74 | Location: Wolverton Mountain | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rupert,
This land has never met the ideals of those who have fought for her and those who died for her. That's probably because the best and most courageous of us. Brave and honest men don't usualy make it to the top in politics or the corporate world. Hell, the true warriors seldom get past the rank of lietenant colonel; most of the generals get there by back-stabbing and cock-sucking.
I'll take the company of soldiers, warriors and honorable men and women, and be eternally grateful that they count me as one of them.
I think of the lives that my dead friends never got to live, the kids who are now ten or twenty or thirty years old who are amazed when I tell them what their daddy was like.
Judge is right about all of this being easier on pilots. One second you are flying along at 480 knots, the next you are blasted into individual molecules. Knowing that you weren't likely to be maimed provided a lot of comfort.
I think we all live with ghosts; we wonder why the best among us had to die, and why were we spared? There has never been an answer to those questions and I doubt that there ever will be. All I know is that in the wee hours this morning I tuned into AR because I need to know that other old soldiers were awake with their own ghosts and memories.

lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
.....and I will always remember the three who didn't come home with me.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just walked in after a weekend of photographing ceremonies at the local veterans cemetery.

It was one of the best assignments I've ever had.

I heard one of the absolute best & most moving speeches, given by the man who formally was my commander (a career change moved me out from under him...).

I had the opportunity to interact with a good number of WW II vets and their families, as well as those from later fights.

I got some awesome shots (that I would love to share, however they haven't been cleared for release by the PAO yet).

I was at a cemetery that currently has over 11,000 veterans buried, and is burying an average of five more each day.

LOTS of little white reminders out there, all around me, to remind me of what today is all about........

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Lots of poignant, powerful words here. Makes me proud to know our country has men of such fabric and fortitude. Service to one's country is something profound to me, something I've never experienced nor claim to really understand, but it is my hope that those of you who have served and sacrificed know that there are many men who look up to you, bursting with respect and pride. I hope it is also understood that there are those you will never know, but who will remain grateful to their dying day to veterans for each and every day that is enjoyed in freedom.

The words 'thank you' seem such a paltry thing to say, but a heartfelt thank you to all who have served, fought and died for our nation.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doyle Hufstedler
posted Hide Post
I found this Quotation on the front page of my son’s journal.

“Let your watch word be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealings with your superiors, your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole, stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonorâ€

Governor Richard Coke 1876

Doyle M Hufstedler II

The Department of Defense announced today the death of five Soldiers supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom. They died on March 31, in Habbaniyah, Iraq, when an improvised explosive device hit their armored personnel carrier. All of the soldiers were assigned to the Army’s 1st Engineer Battalion, 1st Brigade, 1st Infantry Division, Fort Riley, Kan. Killed were:
1st Lt. Doyle M. Hufstedler, 25, of Abilene, Texas.
Spc. Sean R. Mitchell, 24, of Youngsville, Pa.
Spc. Michael G. Karr Jr., 23, of San Antonio, Texas.
Pfc. Cleston C. Raney, 20, of Rupert, Idaho.
Pvt. Brandon L. Davis, 20, of Cumberland, Md.
The incident is under investigation.
For further information related to this release, contact Army Public Affairs at (703) 692-2000.

"He must go -- go -- go away from here!
On the other side the world he's overdue.
'Send your road is clear before you when the old Spring-fret comes o'er you,
And the Red Gods call for you!"
Rudyard Kipling - 1887 - The Feet Of The Young Men

One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
Doyle:
The loss of such a fine young man, a leader is sad news indeed, as the loss of any young man in the service of our country. As you can see here you and yours do not grieve alone. While your pain can not be understood by anyone who has not walked your path, know it is shared. It is 7 pm here and i am on my way to the cemetery to visit some friends at sunset. You and all of the famlies will be in my prayers.
My God bless
Gene

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote