New
Find
Notify
Tools

CITIES question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am heading to Namibia in July. I am hopeing to take a mountain zebra.
I found a site with CITIES permit information. I printed the application, but I must admit I don't have the slightest idea how to fill it out or what to do with it once it is filled out. It looks like paper work for a lawer to me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 252 | Location: Morris IL USA | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The CITIES is only necessary on the other end (Namabia) for export and the outfitter should take care of that chore for you the CITIES is not necessary for import here as is for Leopard. If they don't I would look for another outfit to hunt with as this is a very basic service and if they don't do that, well there will probably be other short commings.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
As DOJ said, there are different levels of CITES requirements and for Mountain Zebra you need the export permit from Namibia which your PH/safari company should arrange and send with yor trophies. Leopard requires an import permit from the US side as well as the export permit from Namibia.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok so I do not need an import permit? Good to know, because when I was at the Reno SCI convention, I was told that I did need an import permit for mountain zebra.

Posts: 252 | Location: Morris IL USA | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You need it but you basically can't do it yourself. It is not something to worry about. I have taken 3 MT Zebra with two different oufitters in Namabia and never once was anything said about the permit it is just something they do for you.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
http://www.fws.gov/permits/faqs/FaqTUVWXYZ.shtml

Scroll to the bottom of the page.

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Terry's link give you the information you need. Maybe I need to work on my nomenclature, but you need a permit from the Namibia side to import the trophy.

From the link:

quote:
The Hartmann’s mountain zebra, however, may be imported into the United States for personal non-commercial purposes, such as a personally taken sport-hunted trophy, without a threatened species permit, as long as the item was not part of a commercial activity. It must be accompanied by a foreign CITES permit which indicates that the item is for non-commercial purposes (Purpose Code “Hâ€) on the face of the document. Contact the foreign country to meet its requirements.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK thanks for the information. I sent an e-mail to the outfitter this morning, asking about their end.

one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ok so I do not need an import permit? Good to know, because when I was at the Reno SCI convention, I was told that I did need an import permit for mountain zebra.

DrC

Yes you do need a Import permit (Cites) for your Mountain Zebra, the type you need is issued by the country of orgin, Namibia. The cites will come over with your crate. USFWS will keep the orginal when it is cleared at the port of entry.

It would be a good idea to get copies sent over to you for your own records. And if possible get copies of everything when it arives in the USA. You may never need them, but it's a very good idea to have them.....

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote