New
Find
Notify
Tools

SCI Medal Classes -
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I see references to SCT Bronze, Silver and Gold Medal class for traphies scored for the SCI system.

Can anyone exlpain what each class represents?

Is Gold Medal the top 10% of all entries for that particular animal, Silver the top 20%, etc...

I have searched the SCI website without any luck.

Thanks

Paul Trent
Bakersfield, Ca.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
The rarest and most coveted of all of the SCI awards is the prestigious "Outer Circle" award, named, I believe, by AR's kind host, Saeed, and so far obtained by a select, lucky and diligent few. Wink

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
GPT,
I believe each category is broken down in thirds (33.3%) per medal. i.e. top 33.3% are gold, middle third silver, bottom third (that meet the minimum requirements to make the record book) are bronze.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kyler

Thanks for the response... I was curious as to the way it was broken down..

I need to come and hunt pigs with you and keep my .375 in shape.. (:>Wink

Paul

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Paul,

I am a Master Measurer in the SCI system, and the medals are by thirds as described above.

SCI has other awards available for accumulating trophies. Basically they charge you $$ for submitting your application and give you a plaque, trophy or whatever for the money. The idea behind it is to recognize accomplishment *and* raise funds for programs.

The measurers are all volunteers too.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim

Thanks for the information...

DVC
Paul

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How does the Namibian Professional Hunters Association medal classes compare with SCI?

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bryan Chick:
How does the Namibian Professional Hunters Association medal classes compare with SCI?

Identical, except expressed in centimeters instead of inches (multiply by 2.54).

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
The idea behind it is to recognize accomplishment *and* raise funds for programs

What a wonderful idea!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68673 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Paul,

You're just about 90 minutes from where we hunt. Let me know when you'd like to put a trip together.

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kyler

will do...

Paul

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can anyone exlpain what each class represents?

Yes. But I'm biting my tongue. Roll Eyes -TONY

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In Namibia, the PH's I hunted with wouldn't even let you fire a shot at one that rated a bronze meda for SCI. The standards are really quite low. I even shot a couple, kudu and gemsbuck tha tmake Roland Ward quite easily, but am just not much into hunting to see my name in a book. I may have been thinking what Tony is thinking, pay for a medal after taking a substandard animal. There, I said it.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bryan Chick:

The NAPHA Trophy Medal brochure states:

"The NAPHA medals measuring system is based on the Safari Club International (hereafter SCI) measuring system - i.e.[sic] the sum length of both horns and both circumferences at the base. There are however two (2) exceptions: -
Warthog - only the length and circumference of the longest tusk required.
Elephant - the combined weight of both tusks in pounds (lbs)."

"The SCI record book is the recording standard for the NAPHA medals system. Trophies making the minimum scores for entrance into the record book are rewarded the Silver medal. Trophies that are 5% below this minimum score are awarded the Bronze medal, and trophies 5% above this minimum are honored with the Gold medal. Trophies that do not qualify for the above-mentioned medals because of old age or because the trophy is deformed or broken, qualify for the Conservation Medal minted in 'Old Silver'."

Posts: 59 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 27 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jstevens:
In Namibia, the PH's I hunted with wouldn't even let you fire a shot at one that rated a bronze meda for SCI. The standards are really quite low. I even shot a couple, kudu and gemsbuck tha tmake Roland Ward quite easily, but am just not much into hunting to see my name in a book. I may have been thinking what Tony is thinking, pay for a medal after taking a substandard animal. There, I said it.
That pretty much sums it up. Bronze SCi is pretty much so-so. The guys I know that have been around toss the tape measure and hunt for the joy of hunting.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kyler Hamann:
Paul,

You're just about 90 minutes from where we hunt. Let me know when you'd like to put a trip together.

Kyler

Hey, if you want, I'll bet we could put together another AR Big Bore-Big Boar hunt!!

I'm up for it this fall if anybody else wants to give it a try...of coures I won last time, so I'm anxious for a repeat, though I know I just jinxed any chance! Kyler is the man in that area!!!

Mark Jackson

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am up for a pig hunt this fall...