posted
Took a trip to the Natural History Museum in London yesterday to see these:

Posts: 9 | Location: RSA | Registered: 04 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
35 lbs. ?? Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
A few other shots of ivory. Pretty amazing work, I think. From the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem, MA. Picture quality poor as a result of shooting througuh glass. Understandable, however. Had it not been cased, I'd have rubbed on it for sure...Smiler

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
The detail is absolutely incredible and truly amazing!

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
The shape of those British Museum tusks is so classically perfect that it makes one want to cry in painful longing for the days when elephant with those kind of teeth could still be found in the wild.

And KG, that tooth in the Peabody Essex Museum is exquisite. I have to get up there to see it in person.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Does anybody have any further information on those tusks in the London Museum besides the following text which accompanied the tusks? :

"These magificent elephant tusks are believed to be the heaviest ever recorded. They are said to have cme from a bull elephant killed near Mount Kilimanjaro in East Africa by an Arab hunter who had been trailing it for several weeks. They were sold in Zanzibar, off the Tanzanian coast in 1896.
The Heavier of the two (on the left), 3,11 metres long and weighing 94 kilograms(207 pounds), was later purchased by the Museum for £350. The ther tusk, 3,18 metres long and weighing 89(196 pounds) kilograms, was sold to the Museum in 1933 for an unspecified amount.

Another pic from the museum:

Posts: 9 | Location: RSA | Registered: 04 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Of course the pictured giant tusks are not the biggest recorded. The quoted story belongs to the Kilimanjaro Elephant´s tusks, weighing nowadays some 226 and 214 pounds due to dryng. Originally these weighed 237 1/2 and 226 1/2 pounds and are well kept at the Natural History Museum in New York.

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
No- they are not in New York. The heaviest tusks are in the British Museum of Natural History-London.I saw them there years ago. At the time, they were not on display. You had to ask to view them and were taken into the basement where they were kept..

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are there any artisans left that can carve ivory that way? seems a much better way of utilizing it than just putting them on the wall.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Are those the 226 pounders? I thought those were not on display.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote