THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    European-style shooting cinema range in Texas

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

European-style shooting cinema range in Texas
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
about a year ago, there was a post about a European-style shooting cinema range open in Texas around Dallas.

For the life of me, I cannot find it anywhere on the forum or on the internet.

Does anyone know where this range is?

Posts: 267 | Location: Kingsville, Texas 78363 | Registered: 19 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep...it is about a mile north of DFW airport, east of Hwy 121 (take Bass Pro exit and turn right) about a half mile east of Bass Pro. I've been there and shot and it is a bunch of fun.
Here is contact info:

Sportsman Shooting Center
1960 Enchanted Way
Grapevine, TX 76051
(817) 310-8382

Karl Evans

Posts: 2901 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excuse my ignorance,I live in the sticksBig Grin.
What in the hell is a European-style shooting cinema. popcornjc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are three features of the range. The first is camera / electronic rifle zeroing, where every shot at the bull is displayed on an electronic screen. While not revolutionary, per se, it's very convenient and effective. The second element is a room with non-cheesy fake guns equipped with muzzle lasers. You "shoot" at video display targets, but that isn't the interesting part. What's really exceptional is that they replay your muzzle tracking up until the moment when you shoot. It's a terrific diagnostic for muzzle wobbles, re-tracking, etc., and really educates one on the value of **smooth** aiming and follow through. I haven't really given the process justice; but there's nothing lame about it.

The third part of the experience is the "European-style cinema range." This is where you use real rifles, up to and including .458 Lott, .470 NE, etc., and shoot real ammo at a movie screen showing real animals moving through the woods, and other environments. The exceptional part of the range is that the distances and speeds of the animal targets are exactly known and correctly proportional to reality, so there's no guessing about leads, follow through, etc.

It's hard to describe the range in a way that does the facility justice. All I can say is that I and my two friends had a great time and I intend on shooting there on a regular basis. If you have any aspirations of shooting moving game well, as in Euro style driven game shooting, it's terrific way to practice and bring your skills up to snuff.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also, in the third part described above, when you shoot the video animals, a brief red dot appears on the screen to show where you hit the animal...or missed as the case may be.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2901 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.sportsmanshootingcenter.com

There are some videos posted on the site. The cinema range video made the viewing screen look substantially smaller than it is in real life due to the wide angle lens used in filming.

If nothing else, it's something different and well worth doing if you live in the DFW area.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you folks. Over here I've seen similar with golf but never with shooting.
Very interesting and looks like a lot of fun as well as good practice time.jc

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone who responded to my thread. I have been trying to get up to Dallas from Corpus Christi, but the 8-hour drive, with kids, wife, etc.

Best trip to Dallas I had was when my dad and I flew in to DSC from Corpus, walked around for the day then flew back out again.

Posts: 267 | Location: Kingsville, Texas 78363 | Registered: 19 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
European mounts and now we have European shooting range?
Sheeet, most Europeans never seen gun in their lives.
Texas shooting range?
Yes.

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't bother Googling 'shooting cinema'

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
Texas shooting range?
Yes.

We dont ?
Europe is a lot of different countries, and hunting is a age old tradition in many of them.

Norway, Sweden, Finland, Baltikum, Germany. Switzerland, Hungary, France, UK, Denmark, Iceland to name a few.

We have guns and we hunt I can tell you tu2

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1879 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arild Iversen:
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
Texas shooting range?
Yes.

We dont ?
Europe is a lot of different countries, and hunting is a age old tradition in many of them.

Norway, Sweden, Finland, Baltikum, Germany. Switzerland, Hungary, France, UK, Denmark, Iceland to name a few.

We have guns and we hunt I can tell you tu2

Confused Arild, ask him where he comes from.

Pretends to be an American. Big Grin jc