New
Find
Notify
Tools

a new TV low point
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
to damn hot to do anything this weekend other than sit inside. so i'm watching the TV b.s. shows and thy have one on a lion hunt in S.A. by forest fairies. This guy spots a nice lion, complete with brushed mane in a patch of brush. the lion lays there watching them and then goes to sleep, meanwhile our hero sneaks up and arrows it. Then to make things worse the other guy is in a blind and a lioness which was nice and fat, but had a dislocated shoulder comes up to the blind and he has to save himself by arrowing here. I gotta puke

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is truly disgraceful and patheic.

I was sitting inside this weekend (too hot for yard work and dog work) and watched about three hours of outdoor TV - the Bubba Channel.

Talk about trash, those backwards ballcap - trailer trash- non-Engish speaking- bubba's from rural Appalachia almost drove me to sell my guns and take up needlepoint.

I had never spent time watching those shows as I prefer Boddington's show when it is on or his videos. But these guys are what give hunter's a "slob name". They use every conceivable type of camo, deer urine, elk call, scoped crossbows, sighted bows, weak shooting muzzle loaders, high tech tree climbers and 4-wheelers I have ever seen. I had no idea that each show was sponsered by ever bubba that thought he invented something a hunter could not do without. These guys had rangefiners, binos, a bandolier of ammo, a backpack that must have held 10 liters of water, a tent, a shovel, a knife and food for a week.

What happened to hunting with a minimum of equipment and "stuff"?

On top of that, they wounded nearly every animal shot and had to follow it up as if deer were dangerous game. The hunts all took place on high fenced Texas, Michigan or Ohio deer farms with the successful bubba shouting - "I dun kilt the most biggest deer I ever seen!!!!"

I was disgusted.... I again remember why I prefer Africa to Bubbaville.....

Posts: 10358 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey y'all,

I sure luv them high fenced critter huntin. That ways I can use any ole shootin thingy I want an make it look like a real good gun ur bow ur whatever.

Then I can cum up here on ARL an tell all y'all snob hunters how gud my 45-70 werks in Africa.

An baitin em under a high fence really makes it look easy!
Wink

But with all that crap in mind isn't the original poster talking about a major bubba hunt in AFRICA! YES they have them there too.

Hunting no matter the location can be done right or it can be done the easy way. It's much easier to film these guys "hunting" the easy way than the real way. The average dip shit watching this doesn't know the difference.

In the end it is you the hunter who decides which road you are to travel. The easy road or the high road. No matter where you are hunting.

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Here we go AGAIN with the "Holier than thou" anti-high fence B.S. Let's save that for its own thread. I don't think everybody wants to hear the same old crap about "Well, you don't have a big dick unless you hike into the mountains and eat bugs for a week to survive and then kill a spike elk with a rock." or some shit like that. or "you're not a hunter if you hunt behind a fence. that's canned hunting, shooting fish in a barrel, drive by hunting, etc..." blah, blah, blah whatever.

However, I do agree with what dogcat said about them wounding animals. I remember a couple years ago, it was a rare thing for an animal to go down within sight after being shot with a bow. Now it seems like EVERY deer shot with a bow on TV goes down within 30 yards. But, of course they don't actually show it. They just show the hunter going "YES!!! He's down!!!" Give me a break buddy, I just saw you fling an arrow through that deer right in front of his hip. I don't think he's going down just yet. You'd better call the guy with the blood trailing dog. And next time, practice a little before you go hunting so you can shoot a little better. Anyways. Just blowing off some steam. killpc

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems to me the Holier Than Thou crowd forgets what hunting in much of SA is,FENCED! With breeder animals bought at auction and trucked in to establish "natural hunting stock"
I'm no fan of canned lion hunting or RSA fenced buffalo hunts either. BUT! what makes a lion any more docile once you've wounded him on either side of the fence? And does a buff suddenly let you walk up and smack his nuts between 2x4s just cause he is in a 35,000 acre pen?
you guys that condem "every bubba that thinks he invented something every hunter needs" should be kissing their collective asses! It is these very same "Bubbas" whom thru taxes keep hunting legal in Bubbaville! It is your option to buy them or not.
Next time your kids want to watch the latest Eco Weenie Disney Movie you might ask yourself if they'd be better off watching any type of hunting show instead!!!

Posts: 100 | Location: Thompkin Corners, Sullivan Co. Penna | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The point of my comments were the quality of production and the "bubba hype" in the various hunting shows. The high fence issue has been trashed and re-trashed on AR many times. We all have opinions on high fence operations - some are acceptable, some are not mostly based on size, terrain and hunting methods. Hunt where you wish, it is a free country (for now).

My comments pertain to the image that these red-neck TV programs create with the public. I do not like the unshaven, poor spoken English - "got me a biggun'" mentality. Further, I chose not to support the sponsers and will not buy "Bubba's Deer Attractor" or "LeRoy's Climb-it-like-a-bear Treestands".

My opinion,so, do as you wish with your hunting dollars and time....

Posts: 10358 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I must have missed the offending shows. Can anyone tell me the names? jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge,
I cannot tell you the names of the redneck shows, just that they run every 30 minutes on channel 250 here. Once a week or so, Tracks Across Africa or one of Peterson's shows is on and it is well done.

You will recognize the redneck version when you see the scruffy chins and backwards ball caps or t-shirts that say "Deer Killing Machine" on it.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
dogc; I always try to catch Craig's show, along with Dangerous Game, Under Wild Skies Africa, the BABE Cindy's show Get Wild, Jack Brittingham, Engels, The Beretta Show and Benelli are also well done a a couple more, but I think I get your drift. The ones I CAN'T STAND is when these IDIOTS have a pefect frontal shot on a deer, elk, etc., and they ALWAYS say they nned to wait for a "broadside shot" as it's more "ethical" in their words then proceed to goon up the shot! Oh yeah, they all seem to like that crooked single shot rifle! jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ya gotta hunt where there are "akurn trees"

Posts: 66 | Location: manchester md | Registered: 15 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw one a few years ago called either "Jus' Huntin'" or "Gon' Huntin'." The host weighed over 350 lbs and was wheezing by the time he managed to wedge his fat ass into a ground blind. I laughed like hell when they took their sponsor break and their primary sponsor was a beef jerky company. I wonder if they paid him in cash or just gave him a lifetime supply.

I haven't watched the show since, so maybe they have hit it big and got into some of those serious Twinkie dollars.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys, lets face it. The best of these shows are mediocre, and I say that even though I will set for hours and watch them when I have nothing else to do. Bunches of people seem to hold up Tracks Across Africa as some kind of standard, and I find it to be absolutely boring. In a thirty minute show, there must be 15 minutes of ads. The hunting scenes are short and remind me of MTV films of 10 second clips strung together. Half of them are obviously staged (I quickly placed the gun in the shooting sticks...) and generally all you see is someone shooting at a spot in the brush, an animal running away, and then finding the dead animal which is arranged in a convenient clearing in an attractive position. The one thing you can depend on is that, when rushing to get in a quick shot before the animal bolts, the hunter will adjust the scope a couple of times, get ready to shoot, then pull completely away from the gun and push the safety off before repeating the whole ordeal. A "quick shot" is on the order of two minutes. (This must be a popular feature, since it is common to all shows, African or bubba.) During the show, Craig will come on a couple of times and give some really technical advice such as "Oil will prevent rust on your rifle". There is also usually one segment where someone is saved from a leopard while going to the crapper in the middle of the night by their super duper flashlight (Sponser?).

Not picking on this show in particular, but this is supposed to be one of the better shows. At least it doesn't have an attitude, which is the problem with the bubba shows. These programs are a source of training for a lot of new or young hunters, and teaching the rebel yelling and high fiving over killing an animal is objectionable. However, I don't find it any more so than the psuedo Bwanas of the world. Having a guy from New York, Chicago, or Memphis in Africa acting like he is Selous, faking a British accent and calling the camp staff "Chaps" is just as idiotic as the bubba brigade.

Sorry for the rant, but outdoor TV has become so superficial and commercial, it is depressing. Fifteen or twenty years ago, there were few shows and videos, but the ones out there were great. Go back and watch some reruns of American Sportsman with Curt Gowdy to see how good outdoor programming could be.

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Curt Gowdy's show definitely set the standard for class and the way things should be done.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I happen to agree with dogcat. I've certainly known a number of country folks with both grace and class, but that doesn't seem to be who is making the TV shows.

Most of the fellows on TV seem to be doing their best Jethro Bodine (Beverly Hillbilies) impersonation. I'm just not sure that they've "done gragiated the sixth grade."

Wink

analog_peninsula

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eland Slayer,

Just for your info, your sig line quote, "One doesn't hunt ..." is not by Capstick, it's by Jose Ortega y Gasset.

Posts: 515 | Location: AZ | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote