THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What is a leopard hunt like using dogs???

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is a leopard hunt like using dogs???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is it like shooting a black bear out of a tree, or something more exciting than that. What is the usual shot distence, and what rifle/caliber do you use.
Is it alot of walking? Thanks

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The ones I have been on - the trials and three subsiquent have been huge fun.

Alot of fast walking needed- on the trials about 1 in 4 releases secured a leopard. Average distance was about three miles.

In two of the hunts the leopard had sprung out of the tree on the approach of the hunters and charged, ingoring the dogs.

Maximum range for a shot is about 60 yards, usually about 30.

My choice of rifle? An F.N. with 20 rounds in the mag, or my Winchester 71 with a holo sight mounted.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ganyana

I think that it'll be very, very difficult, if not impossible, to try to import an FN FAL into Africa. If I ever get the chance to hunt Leopards with dogs, can I borrow your FN?

Razzer Razzer mgun

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ganyana,

Are the trials you speak of a competition like running coons with dogs?

What breeds are they using to run leopards?

Thanks

Minkman

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OMUHONA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfgar:
Is it like shooting a black bear out of a tree

This happens when young males and females are chased, which can be avoided when the tracks are properly identified before putting the dogs in.
I have seldom seen an old Tom jump a tree and sit around waiting for you. They usely go from one tree to another and then makes a stand in thick bush or cave or even on open ground, where you will have a hell of a fight.
We had the ecperience with an old Leopard that more than once circled the dogs and went back on it's tracks to the confusion of everyone.
By the time we had it figured out, it had won to much time to catch up with it.
Only a year later a bowhunter got him when it did the same thing and ran into us.
There are a lot of factors than can influence the duration or success of such a hunt.
The time of day, high temperatures can be a killer for everyone and everything on the hunt, if the Leopard has fed well during the night etc.etc...
You need a cool backup with experience and who can keep you cool and steady, otherwise a FN with 20 shots will only have dead people and dogs lying around and no cat.
In my opinion this remains the best and most thrilling way to hunt big Leopards.

" fine men are remembered for their reaction after a kill "

Posts: 74 | Location: Felseneck-Namibia | Registered: 08 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Minkman- The trials were the demonstration hunts put on by a couple of operators to get the hunts legalised in Zimbabwe. There was a huge missunderstanding as to what actually went on and issues of 100% sucess rate.
Initially I was fairly anti dogged leopard but having seen it done and seen how often a leopard escapes ... I'm sold. Unfortunately the parks directorate that attended those trials have all gone and the new bunch need convincing again.

On 100% guaranteed sucess- well, If I am doing a buff hunt in any sort of reasonable area I expect my client to get one. Same with dogged leopard. In a good area you should have at least 8 chances on a ten day hunt so unless you are very unlucky, cannot catch up to the dogs in a reasonable ammount of time (because you are unfit) or cannot shoot straight you will get a leopard - which I think is fair!

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote