Find
Notify
Tools

Got an email from SAA about Airbus
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted
Last year our Board took a decision and approved a proposal to increase the seat pitch inside our Airbus aircraft. This will come into effect at the end of this year as it is technically a lengthy process.
We plan to keep every one of our passengers including you and hope you will spread this good news to all in the hunting community.

Khaya

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
What about the leg room? bull

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Bigger pitch means more legroom.

SEAT PITCH

This is the distance between a row of seats - the measurement from the same position on two seats, one behind the other. (For example, the back face of the seat in front of you, measured to the same point on the back face of the seat you are sitting in).

What about wider seats and the video system box that is under one of the seats?

The average seat pitch in Economy Class is 31".

The largest seat pitch on a few airlines is 34" (American Airlines has up to 35" on some of its aircraft).

When we flew SAA on the 747, we always flew in the upper deck which had 3" more pitch. One year we flew downstairs on the 747 and the extra 3" does make a difference.

Seat pitch in Business Class varies widely, but American Airlines is 60".

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
What about the leg room? bull

As Terry said, seat pitch IS legroom.

SAA is using airline jargon instead of just saying it in plain English.

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
In an article in the airline's in-flight magazine, Sawubona, dated October 2004, SAA's Acting President and CEO Oyama Mabandla writes:
"SAA has taken a bold step to revise its seat pitch to deal with the overwhelming response and feedback we have received from our valued customers in the last few months.
"When this process is complete, the seating in Economy Class will be much more comfortable while giving you a superior entertainment product; the baggage compartment under your seat will be adjusted to give you more room to stretch your legs; and some of the in-flight entertainment screens will be adjusted to increase viewing comfort.

"All our current Airbuses will be retrofitted in line with these new specifications and all the new ones will be delivered with this new configuration already in place."

Mabandla goes further by saying: "Our seat pitch competes well worldwide, and our aim is to exceed customer expectations.

"We believe that this initial step is but one building block towards taking our customer service to new heights."

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
OK, I thought pitch meant how far back you could adjust the seat back.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Seat Pitch is not the measurement from the seat back in front of you to the front of your seat cushion. It is the measurement from a point on the seat in front of you to the same point on your seat.

Seat pitch is one thing, but how in the Hell does someone approve an entertainment system that doesn't allow you to tilt the screen enough to see it? Surely the SAA people sat in a mock up of the seats before they approved them. What a bone-headed move. It's going to cost a lot of money to fix something that should have never been a problem in the first place.

Of course it really doesn't matter if you can't see the screen because they have been having trouble with entertainment system not working at all. They have also had some problems with the some of the bathrooms not working.

Regards,

Terry

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
OK, I thought pitch meant how far back you could adjust the seat back.

Yeah, that would be the "logical" assumption, wouldn't it?

But in airline lingo, it's as Terry described (point on one seat measured to same point on seat in front or behind), which since the seats are the same size translates directly into legroom.

one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
The only thing I can imagine is they made the comapny officials sit in economy for a transoceanic flight or two.

Would be nice if the darn arm rests went all the way up instead of just half way.

Beggers can't be choosers I guess.

Mark Jackson

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DRB
posted Hide Post
Read a local SA air plane magazine where they state the rumour is that SAA is about to purchase NEW Boeing 747/400's again .... At least two of them anyway!

Regards
Dave

Posts: 179 | Location: Durbanville, RSA | Registered: 15 April 2001Reply With Quote