New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alternatives to SAA?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My last trip on SAA was the most torturous 16 hours I have ever spent. In fact, my wife refuses to ever accompany me on safari again unless I can find a better way to get her there (meaning first class or business class, which costs about as much as the typical safari, trophy fees included)--AND THIS WAS ON THE 747! No telling what her reaction would be if I put her on an Airbus.

Now, I'm willing to spend the night somewhere in Europe if if I can get a more comfortable trip and not get hassled about my guns. Saw where some folks are traveling through Spain and then on to Joberg the next day. Anybody ever made this route?

Just looking for suggestions (and price comparisons). Your answers may mean the difference between me sleeping alone or with my wife on my next safari. (Don't worry, I'm going either way)

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check with Gracey Travel. Last fall I went by way of London.

If you don't mind I am sure you could over night (leaving your checked baggage in the custody of BA) in London and then the next night overnight to Joberg 9 hrs. I did it last fall with 11 hrs in Heathrow - never again. Just too much time in transit. Another way would be thru Frankfort and direct to Windhoek and hunt Namabia. Oh yea the travel cost was less by a few bucks.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
I took KLM through Amsterdam and on to Cape Town in May. Burned up all of my frequent flier points on business class upgrade but it was well worth it! On my return I stayed over in Amsterdam for a day and a half. KLM has a "secure" storage area for your rifles. Service, food, booze and flight attendants on KLM are all fantastic. When I return in May of 06 I plan on the same route and would highly recommend as well.

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I fly both KLM and SAA about every year, and I see little difference in any of them....They have all gone gradually downhill since about 1998...

Personally I find SAA on a 747 to be the better of the two airlines, not so the Airbus...

A lot depends on the crew you get and the age of the plane IMO......We got a frieght train to Tanz. last year on KLM...

As of this year you may be able to fly United Arab Immerates lines to United Arab Immerates then to Tanzania, Zimbabwe or RSA....that would be a nice flight, its an awesome airline by todays standards....Prior to this year, firearms could not be taken through UAE as I recall. Anyway it may be worth checking into......

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Twice I have flown to Frankfurt, then onto Namibia via Air Namibia. That worked out well. From where I'm located (Southeast Michigan),flying out of Detroit on Northwest is easiest and they are linked with KLM. That seems to mean going through Amsterdam. There seems to be a higher-than-usual number of problems for hunters/guns going through there. Maybe it's just a perception or urban legend. I flew that way once to Tanzania and it was fine, but I was not traveling with any firearms.

Credit Union tells me I can go back to Africa in 2006. I know for a fact it will NOT be via the Atlanta to Jo'Burg route in an Airbus. I will spend an extra couple hundred bucks and break the flight up with an overnight somewhere, be it Spain, Germany, London, Amsterdam, or ?

Posts: 3277 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Debbie Gracey booked me through Amsterdam to JoBurg on to Harare this past September. Not bad at all. No problems with firearms...'till I got to JoBurg!

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Yep:
KLM, North West. We went through Amsterdam, no problems. The biggest pain in the butt was Joberg. I will not go there again. It may take a bit longer than Atlanta to Joberg, but less hassle. Check with N.W. and KLM for their flights.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote