THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    STATEMENT FROM THE BOTSWANA WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT ASSOCIATION

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

STATEMENT FROM THE BOTSWANA WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT ASSOCIATION
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Safaris Botswana Bound
posted
STATEMENT FROM THE BOTSWANA WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT ASSOCIATION

The Botswana Wildlife Management Association (BWMA) welcomes the recent decision by the Government of the Republic of Botswana to extend concession leases for multi-purpose (photo and hunting) use for a further year for the following concessions:
CT1 : Destination South Safaris Contact: Jeff Rann jeffrann@yahoo.com
CT2: Johan Calitz Safaris Contact : Johan Calitz johan@calitzsafaris.com
CT3 : Chobe Fish Eagle Contact: Duncan Britton duncan@chobesafarilodge.com
NG 42 : Nemesis Safaris Contact: Johan Calitz johan@calitzsafaris.com
NG 43 : Kgori Safaris Contact: Jim Van Rensburg hunt@kgorisafaris.com
NG 47 : Safaris Botswana Bound Contact: Graeme Pollock saf.bots@info.bw
CH12 : Bottle Pan Safaris Contact: Mike Murray mike@murrayranches.co.za
This extended period will allow for continued dialogue with the Ministry of Environment Wildlife and Tourism (MEWT) on national conservation strategies and to facilitate the transition of these areas from multiple use (hunting and photographic) to non-consumptive tourism.
A verbal statement was made at a recent meeting with tourism authorities that all hunting in Government concessions would cease by the year 2014: however, the BWMA do not have this statement officially - our Government has continually stated that areas with existing leases will not be affected until lease expiry, so community-based concession areas,NG41 (Mababe) and CH1/2 (Chobe Enclave), which are operated by Johan Calitz Safaris and Butler & Holbrow Safaris respectively, should not be affected by the statement made in respect of the 2014 cut-off.
The BWMA has been in negotiations with the MEWT since 2008 in an effort to rationalize the change in land use : consumptive tourism plays a critical role in securing remote wildlife areas against poaching, human and livestock encroachment, fire and supporting community-based livelihoods. With these pivotal factors in mind, the BWMA will continue to collaborate and lobby Government to recognize how hunting succeeds in maintaining wildlife functionality and habitat conservation in Botswana.
For any further information on bookings hunts in the above concession areas, please contact the operators listed above or contact the BWMA Secretariat on email debbie@mochaba.net .

Posts: 473 | Location: Botswana | Registered: 29 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bcolyer
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Graeme: Somebody came to their senses for at least another year. I only wish I could be there with you in NG 47 for the April opener. My shipment is scheduled to arrive in the next 5 days. Tell the family hello!

Posts: 505 | Location: Farmington, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
It is nice to hear good news once in the while.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted Hide Post
Keep up the good work.

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
To all of the outfitters listed, congratulations and keep up the good work!

salute

~Ann

Posts: 19559 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Graeme, do you know about how many total trophy elephant are on quota for these concessions? Are management bulls available?

Keep up the good fight!

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safaris Botswana Bound
posted Hide Post
Hi and thanks for the support , in these times any support to fight the good fight is appreciated -
Bill the number of exportable tags for last year was 400 and we have been told unofficaly that this will be the same for 2013.
Managment hunts do happen under the problem animal control act - if you could PM me I can give you more information about this.
The drive to close hunting is based on the idea that photo tourism is a better land use - which we have shown conclusively is not the case esp in the eastern blocks of Botswana. I cannot stress how important it is for each and every one of us to take action against each and every anti hunting lobby group - they are winning one battle at a time. I get banned from so many anti hunting blogs and web pages because I expose the lies these forums push - we all know its to suck donations out of the unsuspecting public but we cannot let them get away with it , or there will be more Botswana's following Kenya.

Posts: 473 | Location: Botswana | Registered: 29 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
Graeme,

Just a note to say that you do have my full moral support in any attempts to keep hunting going in Botswana.

Keep up the good work! clap

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
nice of Sir Ian to give you a 1 year reprieve but i wouldn't hold my breath for a long term positive result. everywhere i went in Kasane last week, there was his picture and at the end of the day, he calls the shots- pun intended. the only thing in Botswana more common than his picture were the free condom dispensers which were literally everywhere, including at the customs/immigration counter at the Ngoma border crossing office from Namibia!!!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13433 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
nice of Sir Ian to give you a 1 year reprieve but i wouldn't hold my breath for a long term positive result. everywhere i went in Kasane last week, there was his picture and at the end of the day, he calls the shots- pun intended. the only thing in Botswana more common than his picture were the free condom dispensers which were literally everywhere, including at the customs/immigration counter at the Ngoma border crossing office from Namibia!!!

LOL,
Seeing his pic everywhere does get a bit old, doesn't it?
rotflmo

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote