Find
Notify
Tools

How Big is this tom?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted
This is a print we saw in soft sand in Namibia. The tracker who lives in the area said this tom was eyeing him from the rocks for quite a while.

Any estimates of how big this tom is? The cig is a King, 3 3/8 inches long.

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
404: This one taken by my friend Steve (AKA) of the "Road Warrior" last year. When he was finally shot this year, he taped out at 7'5" 180lb with a 17 12/16" skull measurement (green) jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Jeez, forget the size of the track, when was the last time you saw a Leopard that smoked? Big Grin

Either way, big darn cat.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Never caught up with this one. That's a 270 Weatherby round. Probably a smaller cat than the lowveld cats.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
Wendell... rotflmo

Apart from the size, I knew it was a male because there was no lipstick on the cig....

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn, unless that's an elephant print, I can't see a thing. Still amazed by those trackers.

Brian

Posts: 103 | Location: Northern California, USA | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Here's another I'd like to hear everyone's guesstimate of...

Clearly not as big a track as some of the other pictures above, but looks like a decent tom to me. I took this picture last May, while stalking bushbuck along the Mokolo River in RSA. As you'd probably guess, that's a 375 H&H cartridge (with a 265gr GSC HV bullet).

Shortly after taking the picture of the track, we spotted the leopard kill below. Its a mountain reedbuck in a weeping boere-bean tree.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you see this track with the same PH from your other post?
I'm not fishing for his name now, but could you say what part of Namibia you hunted?
I was around Kamanjab last year, saw tracks, but couldn't get one on bait in 3 weeks. Went home empty handed.....wouldn't hunt Namibia again if leopard was my main animal. I am hunting leopard in Zim's Matopa's Hills region next month.

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
190 lbs. 16 1/2 inch skull. Male. 7' 9".

One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
Wolfgar

No, this was on Frank Heger's property. Frank said it does no good to bait them as they will not come. He takes out a license for em for clients because once a year or so they will catch one out in the open. Saw another big tom spoor in another river bed about 10 miles from this one on Frank's place.

Johan Pieterse, who I took my lep with a week so so ago with, says one absolutely can bait them, and that he has gone up and done it in Namibia.....who knows!

One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
Mr. Ruark (UEG)

I like the sound of it!

Josie Wales 1866

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm no PH, but from what I've seen I think Frank is right. We baited for 3 weeks!! Saw tracks, but no good hits on bait...maybe one night it hit, but not much meat was gone and it never came back. 3 weeks!! Never again in Namibia for leopard.There is alot of game there and small stuff, so maybe tey are well fed, but I think that it has ALOT to do with all of the farmers shooting them on sight, setting traps, and poison.
My opinion, of course!

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote