Find
Notify
Tools

Speaking of Elephant Ears...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted
I had Taxidermy Enterprises tan my elephant skin from 2004 at the advice of my taxidermist...much cheaper there than here says he. While I was talking with Buzz he suggested I have the ears tanned whole and a local Bulawayo artist would paint the Big Five on one and an African scene on another. He said they make a very unique and unusual trophy as they hang on the wall just like any other piece of art. The Ele's ear is in the shape of Africa so I went along with it. It was only $750 per ear. Have any of you done it? Do you have pics of the finished product? The pictures on Taxidermy Enterprises website look neat. The only downside is it has slowed my shipment down considerably!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7557 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I've seen it and it's pretty cool. My wife thinks it's really neat too so eventually the ears from my elephant will be tanned and painted.

We'd enjoy seeing pictures of yours at some point.

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am having mine done that way. Trophies are due any time now.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
That's a great idea. To see an example:
http://www.jonastaxidermy.com/jt/main.cfm?PageID=88&Sec=2&Admin=

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thaks for the link, almostacowboy. I've a pair of ears sitting in the salt in Namibia wondering if it would be worth getting them tanned at the current exchange rate of the rand/$NA to the $US. Looks good.
Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
When I do get mine I'll be sure and post some photos. Check them out under "curios" on www.taxidermyenterprises.com.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7557 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine had his painted here. They turned out awesome. I believe he donated one to SCI to auction off, I'm not sure if it was his local chapter of the National one. They are real nice.

I have a system: I pretend to work and they pretend to pay me!

Posts: 106 | Location: Cuero, TX. | Registered: 15 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Irish Paul
posted Hide Post
Somewhat related: I bought a Harley Davidson back in 1994, that had been featured in a magazine. I didn't know it until almost 6 months later that the seat was made from elephant ear. I turned down an offer for $2000 for the saddle.

Might be an option for some of you.

Paul.

Never use a cat's arse to hold a tea-towel.

Posts: 280 | Location: California/Ireland | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote