THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Tanzania Morogoro firm supports review of hunting rates

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tanzania Morogoro firm supports review of hunting rates
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Morogoro firm supports review of hunting rates

2007-10-01 08:59:54
By Michael Haonga

Hunters operating under the auspices of Morogoro Hunting Safari Company have commended the Government and Members of Parliament over the recent upward adjustment of block-based hunting rates to apply nationally.

The commendation was made yesterday by the company`s Chairman, Jamal A. bin Thabit, who said the move was a rational and praiseworthy decision that would help the Government boost and diversify its sources of revenue for the good of the nation.

The firm`s remarks come in the wake of a raging wave of complaints by some local and foreign hunting companies that the rise was indefensibly high and would discourage professional hunting and serve as a blow to the tourism industry in the country.

`We are surprised by complaints in some hunting circles to the effect that the rise to an annual $40,000 per hunting block was too high. This only shows that there are people who do not know that in some neighbouring countries the rate is actually as high as ten times what we in Tanzania are now supposed to pay,` explained Thabit.

Arguing that the complaints were unjustifiable and blind to national interests, he said: `In our individual and joint capacities as members and officials of Morogoro Hunting Safari Company, we hereby declare that we are prepared, if granted permission by the Government to do so, to take over hunting blocks now in the possession of those who are not willing or are reluctant to pay the said $40,000 per block per year because we see the amount as very low relative to what other countries are charging.`

He elaborated: `If anything, the professional hunting fraternity should be appreciative to the Government and Members of Parliament for endorsing the application of these moderate rates. The appreciation should not be by mere words but by promptly paying the rates and by supporting social welfare activities in villages neighbouring or close to the blocks.`

Citing cases to show how his firm had contributed to corporate social responsibility, Thabit said they have initiated a number of support mechanisms to villages such as paying them $40,000 a year in addition to directly part-funding social activities in the education, health and road development sectors.

`Morogoro Hunting Safari Company will continue to extend similar support at all blocks under its jurisdiction because we know it is of fundamental importance for the people to benefit from the natural wealth that we are exploiting right around them,` he noted.

He said they would appreciate being allocated three or more blocks in `promising hunting areas with high yield potential` at the newly revised rates.

`We feel that we have an obligation to be supportive of initiatives by the Government to improve the standard of living of our people. That is why we place a premium on making prompt payment of all Government revenue and other charges and are always in consultations with the authorities concerned whenever necessary,` he observed.

The Morogoro Hunting Safari Company chairman called on investors throughout the country to be `more pro-active and leaders in helping the country develop faster instead of seeking the Government`s intervention when things go wrong`.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 475Guy1
posted Hide Post
Pretty well trained parrot there. Wonder how much "baksheesh" that statement cost.

Used to be 475Guy add about 2000 more posts

Posts: 245 | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400 Jeffrey's
posted Hide Post
He's a shrewed brown noser who has some financial backing who wants to gobble up concessions for the money trust and drive the current holder out.

Africa is Africa.

Posts: 142 | Location: Dreaming of Luangwa | Registered: 23 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Remind me not to book with him.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting that I couldn't find that safari company in a google search quickly...except for their public announcement in the article that Kathi quoted. Looks like a publicity move but probably not the best announcement to make even if it is their company policy.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yukon Delta,
Check my post of 9-11-2007 Who Owns What they are listed

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He's negotiated with the Arabs to get concessions made available for them. He is suspected of being the "cause" of all this BS.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think youre right on this one bwanamich, jamal is behind this problem arising in Tanzania. I have met jamal several times and is constantly bragging about being funded by a royal arab family who have given him half a million dollars to obtain a concession and will pay much more if they have to. he was behind the problems in gonabisi when villagers armed themselves in order to kick the current concession owner out and give it to him. how i know this is because my family lives in morogoro and go there often and word does spread in a small town.

Posts: 52 | Location: TANZANIA | Registered: 16 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
i recall a number of posts here 6-8 months ago about about rich arabs trying to buy up concessions in Tz. and essentially turning them into private hunting preserves for themselves and friends. when all this crap began about trophy fee and concession fee increases my first thought was that it was a concerted effort by these same people to drive the smaller operators out of business and scoop up their areas. looks like i was correct in my thinking and that is exactly what will happen.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13402 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote