New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many rifles can I take to Zim?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The question really is "how many barrels can I take to Zim?" I am thinking about taking an old Mauser 66 (best rifle ever made) and maybe want to take several barrels (458WM, 9.3x64, 270).

mike

posted Hide Post
Your outfitter should be able to answer that question.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Zim customs will check your rifle receivers, not your barrels.

The problem may arise with South African Airways which limits you to 2 rifles. And in South Africa, a barrel is considered a firearm, not the receiver.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll be flying Qantas, which may help. The Mauser 66 bolt locks into an extension on the barrel and it is this extension which is serial numbered, nothing on the receiver itself so this may be an issue, esp if I carry the rifle broken down.

mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Have you ever flown with firearms on Qantas before, or for that matter flown with firearms out of the country at all in the past few years?

First make sure you pre-advise Qantas of your plans. From memory you need to fax your flight schedule and firearms license to Laurie Willoughby

(Laurie Willoughby
Manager Safety Standards & Dangerous Goods Compliance

Qantas Airways Limited
Group Safety
Qantas Jet Base Building S-AB1/9
203 Coward St Mascot
NSW 2020 Australia
Tel: (61 2) 9691 8463
Fax: (61 2) 9691 8833
Mobile: 61 419 204 670
Email:lwilloughby@qantas.com.au)

I don't know what would happen if you showed up to check-in without the approval that he sends you in advance Roll Eyes

You also need to organise a Restricted Goods Export Permit with Australian Customs in advance. I once got one done in under two hours at the airport but gee that was cutting things damn fine. Almost missed that flight. Customs will issue you an export permit and a form mthat says your consignment is clear for export. Qantas won't check-in your firearms without it.

I think you also need to have a B709A from the Firearms Registry otherwise you won't be able to bring your rifles back in to Australia. (Tried that one too and had to leave my rifles with Customs at the airport while I raced off to a telephone to beg the cop in the Registry in Murwillumbah to fax a permit directly to Customs at the airport for me. He wasn't impressed but I got it done!)

Sorry for the extra information. Just thought it may help you get things under control in advance if you didn't already know. As to the Zim side I can't help you Big Grin

Question. How is the rifle registered in Australia? Each barrel given a separate registration certificate?

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The barrels are registered as additional barrels for the rifle with one barrel being registered as the "main" rifle - I can't remember which calibre. To make it more complicated I've got two receivers with som barrels registered to each., so I could be trying to take spare barrels from two reisteredfirearm but with nothing which has the main serial number on it.

Thanks for bringing up this point - I'm really glad I've got 12 months to sort it out.

mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In theory you can bring in as many as you want. In practice if you are bringing in more than 5 firearms then you will need a letter explaining why from the operator at this end.

If you are nervous then give the registra of firearms a ring. Mr Tavengwa 263-4-708-770

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote