THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Roan: what horn length is a big one?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Roan: what horn length is a big one?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted
The thread on Sable got me wondering - how do you judge a good or great Roan.

Roan & Sable are the two antelope that are rare and have generaly high trophy fees.

I have seen pictures & video of Roan but no one ever explains what makes a great Roan.

Could anyone out ther educate me??

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
24"-25" is a shooter, 26" or better is excellent with 28"+ not rare in some areas. Personlly I find the roan a superior trophy to the sable.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
Roland Ward is 27 with the record at 39. If you shoot anything above 24 to 25 you have a good specimen

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Mark,
Really do you find the roan a superior trophy?
Why?
I love those jet black sables!! but I never hunted any of both so.... Frowner
L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
The Roan antelope really is beautiful. In Botswana they are considered Royal game so they cannot be hunted legally. Some of the ones I saw were huge. I would say it is a toss up between the Sable and the Roan.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
I have always loved the look of the Roan.

It comes in a close second to Eland as my favorite antelope.

I guess I just like the big boys.

Thanks for the education gentlemen.

I appreciate it.

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I took a roan with right at 30 inches of horn on both sides in Cameroon in 2004. You can see pic under the hunting page on this websight.

I found the roan to be a very interesting animal to hunt. I looked over about 30 big bulls before I dropped the hammer. If you want a big roan, Cameroon is the place and Ngong Safaris is the outfit to hunt with. He takes bulls over 30 inches every year and I don't know of any other outfit that can caim that.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote