THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Question for the Africans: Waterbuck & Lechwe

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for the Africans: Waterbuck & Lechwe
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
Here's a question for you guys across the pond over in Africa:

Will Waterbuck and Lechwe cross-breed if they inhabit the same area? (i.e.-either in the wild or on ranches where they have both been introduced)

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
Yes they can hybridize but in the wild where their habitat overlap it usually does not occur, it is usually within fenced areas that "forced" hybridization occurs. The offspring of these hybridzed species are fertile.

The Puku, Lechwe and Defassa waterbuck all from the genus Kobus for instance habit the same biomes and yet they usually do not hybridize.

ALF,

I agree with you on most aspects.

However I'd like to suggest replacing the word "usually" with the word "never" in two places you used it, and with "always" in another! IMHO it is a "law" of nature that where two similar species' range overlap they never interbreed in nature. In a man-mad little enclosure the situation is no longer natural.

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
How about in large fenced areas (5,000+ ha.)?? If I had to guess........I would imagine that it's kind of a hit or miss with interbreeding in that situation, but I'm no expert.

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
Eland Slayer,

Honestly don't know. My knowledge of species with overlapping ranges comes more from the terrestrial birds side: Lots of overlap occur between related species and no evidence has[Hello Mr. Murphy....] ever been found of interbreeding between even closely related species. Naturally they fly where they want to go.

I'm sure a few telephine calls to some experts will soon fill in my knowledge gaps about interbreeding of related species of antelope. I can name a few species that are known to interbreed and have fertile offspring: Blesbuck and Bontebuck, Black and Blue wildebeest. Not sure of the fertility of kudu and eland crossings, but they do occur.

A facinating subject to ponder about and I will for sure attempt to get to know a bit more about this in the next few weeks.

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew McLaren:

species that are known to interbreed and have fertile offspring: Black and Blue wildebeest.

Now THAT would be one ugly critter!! haha