THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What to do in Joburg for a few days?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do in Joburg for a few days?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted
I have never been to Africa before.

Now I may have to visit Joburg on business in December. I would have a couple of days of business meeting & may need to visit Mauritius for a day.

If this does happen - what can I do there if I stayed for a few days more?

• Visit Kruger Park
  • Any bird or night shooting?

I would appreciate any suggestions.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."
  •  
    Posts: 11222 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of Bushwack
    posted Hide Post
    Nakihunter,

When in December? KNP would be nice, a bit to hot now , expecting very high summer temperatures for 2011, but the KNP is always a winner...However, in The North West Province (±90 miles from OR thambo International) we have excellent Big 5 National Parks available, and you should have consider Madikwe and Pilanesberg National Parks also.

Bird shooting and night shooting (varmint) would also be a very good idea...is just this the bloody heat...

Dream it...Discover it...Experience it...

Patrick Reynecke
    Outfitter and Professional Hunter
    Bushwack Safaris
    Box 1736
    Rustenburg

North West Province
    South Africa
    www.bushwacksafaris.co.za
    Cell: +27 82 773 4099
    Email: bushwacksafaris@vodamail.co.za

Posts: 291 | Location: North-West Province, South Africa | Registered: 17 June 2009Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of ozhunter
    posted Hide Post
    Maybe not Bird shooting but you could go bird watching at SUN CITY...

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Maybe not Bird shooting but you could go bird watching at SUN CITY...

Do tell us more Adam Smiler

Cheers,
    Mark.

Posts: 557 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 13 February 2007Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    +1 yuck bird watching

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Kruger is Great! There is also a 4 star resort about an hour and a half from Joberg called Misty Hills (it might be Misty Hollow but I think not) Absolutely gorgeous place to stay and they have a restaurant there called "Carnivores" As the name inplies, it is a steak place. Wild game, usually 4 or 5 different animals, or domestic meat if you prefer. It's an all you call eat place and the atmosphere is fantastic. Give it a try. I believe they also have a website.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Kruger. Arrange to be picked up at the airport and taken straight there ... or if you're a little more adventurous, self-drive.

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Nakihunter:
    I have never been to Africa before.

Now I may have to visit Joburg on business in December. I would have a couple of days of business meeting & may need to visit Mauritius for a day.

If this does happen - what can I do there if I stayed for a few days more?

• Visit Kruger Park
  • Any bird or night shooting?

I would appreciate any suggestions.

• I loved my tour of Kruger and would recommend it. With respect to time, it's rougly a 5-6 hour if I remember correctly. So, count two days going and coming back in addition to the time you want to spend there.

Posts: 584 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: 13 August 2004Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of Nakihunter
    posted Hide Post
    Thanks for the suggestions and the PMs guys. Much appreciated.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11222 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of jdollar
    posted Hide Post
    if you decide to stay in Joburg, just lay low and stay out of sight. safer, don't you know! or if you are feeling adventurous, go to a shabeen in Soweto.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13403 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    If you go on up to Pretoria, the Voortrekker Musuem/monument are great. There is also a nice indoor range, I think at centurion. All are within easy driving distance of Johanesburg. Melrose House which Kitchener used as his HQ during the second Anglo-Boer War is also in Pretoria and worth seeing.

Posts: 477 | Location: western arkansas | Registered: 11 July 2010Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    You might also catch a flight to either
    Phalaborwa or Hoedspruit, adjacent to Kruger.

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    I had a day layover in JNB last month on my way to Moz, so set up a golf game. I have learned that golf is perhaps one of the best ways to overcome jetlag. I was outdoors in the sun, fresh air, and no thought of time. The Country Clubs are safe venues. BTW a friend happened to be in Pretoria on business, so he came down and we had a great visit. So....play golf...kill some time, and beat your jet lag.

Posts: 227 | Location: Calgary, Canada | Registered: 06 March 2009Reply With Quote