New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why Africa- Now
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well, I just turned 40 last month and as I have posted in other threads, I will be making my first trip to SA at the 1st of July.
I have spent my life hunting North American Game: Deer, Elk, Antelope, Moose, free ranging Bison.... But, Africa has been on my
mind for the past few years. However, I never put much thought in making it happen.

My lifelong friend, that I knew since I was 4 years old, had a similiar desire. His was to hunt Alaskan Brown Bear. He finally decide to make it
happen last year. He went, and although he didn't harvest, had a great time. A few short months later, on a deer hunt, told his hunting partner he
wasn't feeling well. A few minutes later he passed away from an aortic aneurism, being only 39 years old. It has been extremely difficult to see a friend leave behind 5 children, a wife, family and friends. But, I am grateful he went on his dream hunt and most importantly, made sure his family was taken care of.

As difficult as it has been, it has taught me to not put anything off! As long as my family is taken care of, I am going! I could have probably went 2 years ago and didn't! But, that will be changing in a few short weeks.

So, my advice is DO NOT put it off, make your plans and do it (whether is Africa or somewhere else)! As long as your family is taken care of, DO IT!!

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
1,000% correct.

Posts: 1433 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I spend a lot of my wealth hunting each year for the reasons you just mentioned, however I also make a big life insurance payment annually to make sure my family would be well taken care of in case I check out early. I don't particularly care if I end up poor in my later years. It is what I do now while I am still healthy that matters to me.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
One thing that you cannot buy is time. Make the best of what you have.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason, you are totally right. First priority is to take care of your family. Next, is to achieve your own goals. I had a close friend who I hunted and fished with for years die at age 44. It was a wake up call. Go hunting. Take the trip. I did. It might be your last chance.

Posts: 10377 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
I have hunted plains game a couple of times in the past. I dreamed all my life with buffs, eles and leopards. I can do it but only ALONE, so instead of that I invite every year some friends that can not afford the costs to go hunting red stags with me to Argentina.

I prefer to hunt mice with friends rather than hunt a big jumbo alone.

With 44 years old, two boys (and another one arriving this year Big Grin) my only wish right now is to live long enough to see my boys grow up.

Because of business I will have to start travelling several times a year to the States, so I think I am going to take care of elks, black bears and mulies before dreaming again with spotted cats or jumbos.

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason

I couldnt agree more. Enjoy your hunt, it maybe your first, but I doubt it will be your last safari. If your like many of us, you will be planning your next trip before you leave Africa.

Tom Kessel
Hiland Outfitters, LLC (BG-082)
Hiland, Wyoming
www.hilandoutfitters.com

Posts: 402 | Location: Central Wyoming | Registered: 14 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Life is fragile, enjoy it while you can.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason,
having been in the medical profession in one capacity or the the other for 40 years now I can tell you that it is the norm and not the exception for working men to put off their dreams for too long.

The cases of men waiting to live their dreams while they took care of every one else while their health, desire and physical capabilities slip away are so common that we don't even pay attention to it any more. I could bore you to sleep with stories.

Now I want to first disqualify my advice because I am steeped in the tragedy of early death and disease. That said I'm going to give you my advice. Don't lose the house over it. Make sure the kids are clothed and educated and the wife has a dependable car. If you can afford it the FOR GOD's SAKE GO TO AFRICA. See the shining black faces, smell the smoke and the air and see the animals. Drink it all in. Take pictures. When you shoot your first African animal demand that you and the animal be left alone in quiet and peace for a while. kneel or sit in the grass and you will know that what the founder fathers of our country referred as Benign Provenance when they asked for help really exits.

If want to go to Africa, and you do , and on arrival home you find you have pancreatic cancer you will say well at least I went to Africa. If you go to Africa and you live to be a hundred years old, as long as you live you will say, to any one who will listen, I went to Africa. It is a win win life move to go.

God speed and write a report.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
. That said I'm going to give you my advice. Don't lose the house over it. Make sure the kids are clothed and educated and the wife h

Els:

That is great advice and I would never
compromise my families well being. I have
been blessed the past few years and have put
myself in the position to go. I will also take my
wife.

If the trip is everything my PH says it will be
and the what I'm expecting, I'll probably return there
in 2-3 with my wife and 3 boys.

When I think of sacrifices, I merely look at putting off a new
vehicle, compulsive purchases, in lieu of spending it in Africa. I
don't think me or my wife will regret it....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason P,

As a fellow northern Utahn hope you have a dream experience and looking forward to your report when you get home.

Royce's story is a tragic event. Live the dream for him!

Posts: 29 | Location: Utah | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
My first safari was 21 days in Tanzania. I've had several since then, but I will always remember a conversation I had with my first PH in the Selous.

He said, "Mike, why are you taking your first safari for 21 days in Tanzania? Most American hunters seem to start with plains game in South Africa."

I replied, "Because I want to do this before I die."

He looked at me, with pain on his face, and said, "Mike, are you all right?" Big Grin

Well, I assured him that I was, and by the grace of God I still am, but who knows for how long?

Tomorrow is promised to no man.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13667 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Jason
Well old man I am 1 year behind you.

Don't think 1 trip to Africa will solve the problem.
Just makes it worse.

Want to crack a buff before I make my 40th

Know your feeling.

Regards Mark

Posts: 376 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
"If you died tomorrow, what would you have wished you had done today."

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go for it

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I too had a dream and kept delaying it. In 2001 two of my friends left me. Came home from work and told my wife, I am going on safari summer of 2002. I have been thankful for all of my experiences and four safaris. I have not forgotten my friends and every time on safari I take the time to toast them and remind myself how lucky I am.

Mike

AFRICA!!!

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. Not just on your safari, but about having enough insight to understand that the clock is ticking and it is best to make fulfilling your dreams an ongoing project.
I didn't do my first African hunt until I was 48. I wish I had started sooner. My older brother passed away suddenly the year before, and that was my wake up call. I bought the BMW motorcycle I had wanted since I was in my twenties.
In short, preparing for retirement is important, but not the only thing. At some point, the value of delayed gratification begins to wane. You have come to the realization that some balance is required.
Welcome to the forum. We'll be glad to tell you all we know, and perhaps more.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
"If you died tomorrow, what would you have wished you had done today.

I have lost count of those who have gone West. I am so thankful for what I have experienced and achieved. Three safaris is all I'll ever get, but that is three more than most will ever see. That, and all the rest of the journey has been remarkable.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
Treat every day as if it's your last and one day you'll be right.

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I usually don't bring back an old "thread" but I just wanted to say thanks again for all the nice comments. I also wanted to let you know that I returned from our trip and had a great time. Everything exceeding our expectations and we are already planning a return.

I am going to try and figure out how to post pic's and I will then relate our story.

Update: I am trying to post from photobucket. I hover over the pick, check the box that displays, left click to copy and then right click to paste to Accurate Reloading. I get a link only. What am I doing wrong? Thanks

Jason

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:

Update: I am trying to post from photobucket. I hover over the pick, check the box that displays, left click to copy and then right click to paste to Accurate Reloading. I get a link only. What am I doing wrong? Thanks

The good news is you are almost there. In your album on the main page there is a catalog of your photos(They are about 1"x1.25"). Hover over the photo and a box pops up below the photo. The box has four choices(Email&?, direct link, HTML code, and IMG code)

Left click on the last one(IMG code) and it will change to "copied".

you can the go back to your post and right click then click paste. The image code will paste with [IMG] on both sides. The image will appear when you finish your post and click "post now".

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have it now! Thanks

I'll be posting the hunt shortly (in the Africa Hunting Report forum)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was pushing 60 and thought the dream had passed....it had not!

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote