Find
Notify
Tools

Judging a trophy Roan
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted
I know that no one here is silly enough to try to judge a roan without your PH's assistance... But assuming you want to judge a roan on your own, just how would you go about it?

I would think a mature roan will show secondary growth like the one in the photo below. The roan in the photo is 28+ inches, but the horns don't quite make a 90 deg. bend. Some go 90+ degrees and don't go over 27".

So I guess my question is: if you shoot a roan with secondary growth you are going to get a trophy that scores well, or a trophy that is mature but worn down(either is a great trophy IMO). Is this correct?

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
With Sable, secondary growth comes "hand in hand" with the worn down horns of a mature bull. That's why the Ecologists want secondary growth on trophy Sable from Niassa Reserve.
Not sure if secondary growth occurs with Roan though?

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
Not sure if secondary growth occurs with Roan though?

Well I thought that I was looking at secondary growth on the roan pictured above(the 3-4" at the base). It is pretty clear that I don't know what I am talking about.

I just hope some of our PHs weigh in... Fairgame?

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
secondary growth and worn tips is all you have to go on.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Ivan or Andrew or any other PH, do you care to share any tips?

Bwanamich, thanks of the info. Is there anything else you can look at to judge the horn length(horn length compared to head/ear length)?

Jason

-Jason Brown

Picture of Hentie van Heerden
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
secondary growth and worn tips is all you have to go on.

That definitely indicates a mature animal sir!

The smoother that secondary growth becomes the older, combined with blunt tips or tips angling / tapering in sharp. Tips that gradually tapers off as the animal in the pictures left horn normally indicates an animal reaching prime. It might be that such a horn has not been used allot but usually they both wear off as by Red Hartebeest.
By looking at a species you will also be able to estimate from the body mass, especially in the neck, front quarter and some species in the back quarter that it is full, heavy and musculus, which also indicates maturity.
Fighting marks by species like Springbok, Oryx, Zebra, Roan and others will also assist in estimating age (except animals that have been kept in solitary confinements in pens to protect them from each other).

This info will not help you make a trophy size judgement but at least you will know what age group the animal is that you are shooting at.

As with many other topics, it is only a personal opinion!

Hunting Namibia

Posts: 19 | Location: Africa | Registered: 22 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
Ivan or Andrew or any other PH, do you care to share any tips?

Bwanamich, thanks of the info. Is there anything else you can look at to judge the horn length(horn length compared to head/ear length)?

Jason that will come with experience. There are many variables on horn.

Many hunters want a magical 40 plus Sable and to judge a 40 and not a 39 can be tricky.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9957 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote