THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Tanzania Resident Liscense for a Diplomat

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tanzania Resident Liscense for a Diplomat
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted
What is the current situation on Tanzania resident hunting liscenses?

I am thinking of taking a diplomatic posting there.

Where would I find what "open areas" are available and which ones you can drive to.

How dangerous is it to drive out to Masailand from Dar es Salam for a gazelle or two?

I spent some time on the Tanzania government website and I couldn't work out what or where the game quotas were for Residents.

I have late bids on unfilled jobs in Durban and Windhoek. Those are easy to work out.

Then again we have bids in on a couple places in Europe and Canada as well. But those are also easy.

Please understand when I say Diplomat, I don't mean I will be the ambassador. I am about as junior as you can be in the embassy.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any Resident of Tanzania who has resided in the country for at least 2 years and is in possession of a valid work permit, can opurchase a local resident hunting permit to hunt in the period between July 1st and December 31st (It's unclear if resident hunting beyond Dec 31st to March 30th is accepted).

The hunitng areas for Resident/citizen hunters is the Game COntrolled Areas and Open Areas. Permits for limited game are valid for 14 days and issued by the District Game Officer and cost nothing! Thereafter, following the hunting laws, one can go out and enjoy.

Note that many of these GCA's and Open Areas (OA) are non prime areas and are located on village land so you will be required to report to the village leadership prior to commence hunting. It is advisable to always have a District Game Scout and a representative from the village you will be hunting on at all times during your hunt. These are all self-guided hunts and you need to be fully self reliant as far as accommodation, food and water for yourself and your crew.

The closest resident areas from Dar are towards the Selous, namely Ngarambe and Tapika villages approx 7-8 hour drive south. To access the prime OA areas of maasailand, you would first drive to Arusha and overnight and then drive out to the hunting area which can be anywhere form 1.5 to 4+ hours away.

Note that all OA and GCA areas also double up as Tourist Hunting areas and will be leased by an outfitter or other and it is necessary that you also report to the outfitter to notify them of your visit for all the obvious reasons.

Having a firearm registered in Tz is another story and can take between 1 - 2 years to register. Wihtout ownig a registered firearm, one cannot apply for a hunting permit. You cannot borrow a firearm for purposes of buying a hutning permit.

Hope this helps.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine lives in Tanzania. It was quite a struggle, but eventually he secured himself a firearm license and a resident hunting permit. He's got two firearms now and his own hunting vehicle. He can buy licenses in open areas and goes hunting quite often.
Send me a PM if you want his email adress. Maybe he can answer more questions as you go along. Good luck!

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Makes one realize that we really are fortunate in the US.

~Ann

Posts: 19557 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Right on Ann! I have thought many times about moving to South Africa, Zim, or Zambia to be closer to the hunting and cut out the airfare and shipping costs. I know I can get a job in my field, but the firearms laws and ammunition restrictions keep holding me back.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
Thanks,

I talked to the guy I am replacing and there is somekind of diplomatic arrangement on where diplomats are instant residents and firearms can be bought or imported.

I had thought it was about that easy, might bid on the job.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
Bwanamich,

Do you know what species are available on a resident permit?

I am assuming it is common things like Thompson Gazelles, Grants Gazelle, Buffalo, Hartbeest, Topi, Impala, wildebeast, zebra, and warthog.

Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Trust you've checked, MOA-T, with Embassy Dar to be sure that the Ambassador will approve your bringing along a hunting rifle. Most Embassy Regional Security Officers are less than user-friendly on this matter and, as you know, too many of your colleagues, especially senior, have no clue...

Meanwhile, you have the chance in Oz to pick up some very interesting double or falling block rifles, especially, but not exclusively, if you are a reloader (and are permitted to do that in Tanzania). PM me for name, contact of a good Aussie dealer in Melbourne, or other AR members, please chime in.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MOA TACTICAL:
Bwanamich,

Do you know what species are available on a resident permit?

I am assuming it is common things like Thompson Gazelles, Grants Gazelle, Buffalo, Hartbeest, Topi, Impala, wildebeast, zebra, and warthog.

Thanks

No Zebra.
Add eland, duiker, oribi, steinbuck, dik dik, bushpig, robert's gazzelle, topi, reedbuck. If you count the different sub-species, it's quite a bag! However, they only issue 2-4 animals per license at a time. Competition for licenses is fierce and never fair or transparent!

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Carney:
Trust you've checked, MOA-T, with Embassy Dar to be sure that the Ambassador will approve your bringing along a hunting rifle. ...

Ah, a check of the Embassy website shows a retired Major General as the Ambassador. Don't imagine you'll have a problem hunting!

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
Thanks all,

I am not an Australian, we found out on Friday that I'll be in Australia another 2 years. Hard to complain!

The job I bid on was already promised to someone else their department knew.

It happens.

I was going to Columbia, then Sierra Leone, then was told Madagascar, then found out it was here.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was our understanding you were in Europe?As you had been doling out hunt advise abuot there???

Posts: 210 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome the new age of poachers coming into Tz and want to hunt with resident licences. I guess all embassies do the same with their staff in Tz. drive around with a trailer just like the arabs in TZ no difference at all.

Posts: 28 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 21 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
but the firearms laws and ammunition restrictions

Impala. If you are serious about moving give me a shout.
The laws are not as bad as they are made out to be and there are ways and means to getting everything done.

HQ

Posts: 305 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 13 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by impala#03:
Right on Ann! I have thought many times about moving to South Africa, Zim, or Zambia to be closer to the hunting and cut out the airfare and shipping costs. I know I can get a job in my field, but the firearms laws and ammunition restrictions keep holding me back.

Not Zambia mate. Firearms can come in as your household goods and there are a number of dealers here who can help you out with the paperwork.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9972 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. If I decide I may want to relocate, I will be in contact.

I really did like Zambia, as well as South Africa.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Interesting..... I was very close to accepting an opportunity in Mauritius with a multinational company. If I had gone ahead, I would have been working there by now.

I found the firearms regulations in Mauritius very unclear. I could not get any information about bringing my rifles into the country.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11241 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
Originally posted by impala#03:

Not Zambia mate. Firearms can come in as your household goods and there are a number of dealers here who can help you out with the paperwork.

Just curious, is centre fire and shot gun ammunition restrcited like .22 rim fire? There was a cap of 200 rds/yr for .22 when I was there in '08. I didn't think to ask about centre fires, shotguns or the reason for the limitation on .22 (too excited about hunting!).

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
Interesting..... I was very close to accepting an opportunity in Mauritius with a multinational company. If I had gone ahead, I would have been working there by now.

I found the firearms regulations in Mauritius very unclear. I could not get any information about bringing my rifles into the country.

here s the Mauritius Firearms and it s very clear :

http://www.gov.mu/portal/goc/w...dlaws/F/FIREARMS.pdf

all the best.

Posts: 1875 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medved:
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:

here s the Mauritius Firearms and it s very clear :

http://www.gov.mu/portal/goc/w...dlaws/F/FIREARMS.pdf

all the best.

The above Mauritian Firearms Laws are applicable to Mauritian Citizens - there may be a different set of rules for visitors (temporary permits as in any other country maybe?).

However, anyone wanting to pop a few shots in Mauritius will be supplied an adequate firearm
by the "outfitter". There are not many areas where hunting is permitted and those that do are game farms internally sub-divided to segregate herds (deer) by age, sex, etc. etc. I was told the game was farmed for export in the form of venison - Canned hunting at its best!