Find
Notify
Tools

SAA Questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted
Has SAA changed the seating configuration in their dreadful Airbuses yet? Also, has anyone heard any more about the SAA and Delta partnership ending? Thanks

Posts: 2596 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 300magman
posted Hide Post
Not unless they changed it in the last two weeks. It was the worst flight I had ever been on.

Posts: 323 | Location: Jackson, Miss | Registered: 12 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Tell us about the flight and why it was the worst that you had been on. I'm leaving on Friday for S.A. and want to be prepared for the worst as best as possible.

one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
It's a mankiller of a trip!!! Do a search, this has been discussed before.

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SAA will be replacing one AirBus plane with a new config one starting on or about June 20th on the ATL/JNB/ATL route.

As they finish a plane they will swap out another.

At this time there is no set day of the week this plane will be operating.

What they did to the Airbus was remove 2 rows which changed the seat pitch to 33-34. Also adjusted the entertainment boxes under the seats.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9497 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 300magman
posted Hide Post
Well it is a bad trip because the seats are narrow, they are close together, and there is no leg room. My knees were embeded in the sea in front of me for the whole trip. The flight service was lousy. There was one bar service for the entire flight. They brought around juice most of the flight that had been watered down. I had to go to the galley to get bottled water during the flight. The seating was miserable. No air vents so flight was hot. I thought that the better seats were on the sides of the plane but the metal boxes that contained the video players took up there leg room. The only good thing about the flight was that it got me to Africa on that I can't complain but I will be looking for a different route and airline for my next safari.

Posts: 323 | Location: Jackson, Miss | Registered: 12 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
What 200mag said. The seats are way to narrow, I'm only 5'10" & 190# & I squeeze into a coach seat. Leg room sucks, the aisles are so narrow you can barely walk down them w/o hitting the seats. If you can ask for the exit row. door seat. Lots of leg room there but the seat is still way too narrow. I won't fly SAA again until they go back to the 747. On top of all this, the plane is slower & has to refuel half way adding another 2hrs to the flight. thumbdown
When I go back, I'll have Kathi route me thru Germany. The cost is about the same & the great 747 will be involved. thumb

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reading this almost makes this 6'3" fellow not want to go!! I'm leaving July 29th from Atlanta, maybe I'll get the reconfigured plane.

Posts: 317 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
17 hours there and 17 back. Good thing I am only 5' 9" tall. Like being in a cattle car. I was next to a 4 y/o girl who squirmed and kicked me the whole way to JNB. My first trip to Africa and as bad as the flight was after I got to ATL I would have got back on that scarebus and done it again. Africa is that great. We killed 11 animals in 10 days.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
reconfigured or not the seats & isles are too narrow. Try leaving the USA from Dulles (Washington DC) SAA is using 747s on those flights.
The Frankfurt/Windhoek route is a better deal but the layover is long. What most those going that route do is book a day room...trouble is you must deal with customs in Germany and your equipment if switching air carriers to Air Namibia like I did.
Try the Dulles/JNB SAA flight on a 747
*** every plane is cramped and the flight is long and boreing...try getting a script for a sleeping pill. wyn

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like I really lucked out this time. After my three previous safaris on the 747, I finally accumulated enough air miles to upgrade to business-class seating for my trip in September. Based on all the horror stories I've heard about the 320 Airbus I think it was worth 120,000 air miles. I can hardly belive it when I hear myself say I'm "looking forward to the trip," this time. You never know when you next trip may be your last trip...make it count thumb

Bull1

Posts: 405 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Heck, I'm 6'4" and weigh 280 lbs, leaving June 30 and I'm still looking forward to getting on that plane. Hope I'm still smiling when I get off Roll Eyes

There's nothing quite like the ignorant bliss of the African Rookie

Elmo

Posts: 586 | Location: paloma,ca | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
For you guys over 5'-8" or so, book the exit row window seat. Almost 48" of leg room. clap

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
For you guys over 5'-8" or so, book the exit row window seat. Almost 48" of leg room. clap

Good luck with that! I booked a bulkhead window seat back in September '04 and reconfirmed it 30 days prior to my flight last month. Guess what? I did not get any of the seat assignments I asked for. I had to fight like the dickens just to get out of the middle of the plane and back onto an isle or window seat, but I lost my bulkhead seat.

I ran into two other hunters with the same problem on the way to J'berg. Only they had the exit row seats reserved and they had no hope of getting those back.

George

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote