THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Mozambique: Rio Save Game Reserve Imports Buffalo

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mozambique: Rio Save Game Reserve Imports Buffalo
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://allafrica.com/stories/201307181260.html

Mozambique: Rio Save Game Reserve Imports Buffalo
18 July 2013

Maputo — The Rio Save Company is to import more than 700 buffalo over the next seven years to meet the demand from big game hunters.

The buffalo are a key part of the major project to restore the hunting area known as "Coutada 9" in Macossa district in the central Mozambican province of Manica.

The details were revealed during an official visit to the area by the Minister of Tourism, Carvalho Muaria.

Cited in the daily newspaper "Noticias", the director of the company, Adamo Assane Valy, explained that the master plan is to diversify and increase the animal population to give greater choice to visitors.

Valy stated that the buffalo will be imported from Zimbabwe. Contracts have been signed and the first group will be moved to Macossa at the end of this year.

He added that the Rio Save Company has entered into an agreement with Gorongosa National Park, located in the neighbouring province of Sofala, to promote diversity through the exchange of species.

The Rio Save Company has been operating for seven years in Macossa, where it has the concessions for the hunting areas "Coutada 4", "Coutada 5" and "Coutada 9".

It has invested over three million US dollars on bringing in new species, opening roads, constructing camps, creating water holes, and installing solar power.

Valy told the Minister that the company had imported 12 lions from South Africa to discourage poachers.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9376 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good news for Mokore, Western and Gajojo safaris! They have been working on this for some time now.

Posts: 1867 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
So where those pen raised Lions? Roll Eyes popcorn

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505ED:

They were brought in from SA some time ago but I believe they are living and breeding in the wild in C9 now.

Posts: 1867 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safari2:
quote:
Originally posted by 505ED:

They were brought in from SA some time ago but I believe they are living and breeding in the wild in C9 now.

See article in African Hunting Gazette....

http://www.africanhuntinggazet...cle&id=157&Itemid=25

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that's one rodeo I'd like to watch
from a near distance.
Wonder just how they plan to get 'em to cooperate. Doubt they can be driven with any success.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5947 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excelllent, I wish we would hear more good news lik this!

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great news

Posts: 394 | Location: Africa | Registered: 25 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Caracal:
Excelllent, I wish we would hear more good news lik this!

+1 tu2

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

This has been a long battle for the Duckworths. If this all happens as it should Coutada 9 will offer one of the best buffalo/PG experiences in Sothern Africa. Coutada 9 is the best unfenced PG hunting I've ever seen and particularly good for the spiral horns but few buffalo are there.

As for the lions be assured they are wild. Clients tell me the night noises near camp will give you a chill.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12877 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great news for Moz, but I can't help but wonder about the effects of removing 700 buffalo from Zimbabwe - what might be the effects resulting from this "exchange of species"? Even spread out over 7 years that seems like a pretty sizeable reduction in population (depending on the donor area).

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
I believe Gorongosa NP is in Mozambique.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Even more confusing - as the OP says buff will come from Zimbabwe, then mentions an agreement with Gorongosa NP - then a google search on Gorongosa shows several articles about encouraging eco-tourism and conserving wildlife...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think the buffalo from Zim and the agreement with Gorongosa are related.

Gorongosa is overrun with waterbuck and I am sure that is the species that C9 is looking at initially from there. As far as what would be traded..maybe eland?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Safari2

That was my interpretation also. I don't think the blurb about Gorongosa was related to the buffalo transfer.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

Posts: 12877 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Guys,

This has been a long battle for the Duckworths. If this all happens as it should Coutada 9 will offer one of the best buffalo/PG experiences in Sothern Africa. Coutada 9 is the best unfenced PG hunting I've ever seen and particularly good for the spiral horns but few buffalo are there.

As for the lions be assured they are wild. Clients tell me the night noises near camp will give you a chill.

Mark

Mark..do you know how many buff will be involved in that 1st shipment?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Safari2

The original post says 100 per year. I have not spoken to Gary Duckworth about it but I will.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Safari2

The original post says 100 per year. I have not spoken to Gary Duckworth about it but I will.

Mark

Yes let me know...Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Acer:
Great news for Moz, but I can't help but wonder about the effects of removing 700 buffalo from Zimbabwe - what might be the effects resulting from this "exchange of species"? Even spread out over 7 years that seems like a pretty sizeable reduction in population (depending on the donor area).

Acer

I would guess they would come from the likes of BVC (population about 4000), Save (probably same pop as BVC) and/or Gonarezou NP (many buff)..at 100 per year wouldn't even miss them from any of these areas.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saw where Gorongosa received 35 eland today..I am sure it was part of this project.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

Sadly the Zim government has refused to issue the export permits for the buffalo.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
obviously the bribe wasn't big enough......

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13170 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I think other countries should take an example from Moz
Zimbabwe probably looks at it as competition to their hunting industry.
That makes perfect sense. Individual states here in states do it to each other.

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shame on the buffalo..but I did get confirmation from Gorongosa (via Facebook site) that the eland were indeed from C-9.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Barrie & Neil Duckworth have a very large double-fenced intital holding paddock @ Coutada 9 and are waiting for the political machinations, as such, to allow the procurement of the buffalo. Great hunting there for many other species at present.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just saw where Gorongosa received 7 zebra today with waterbuck going to C9 in exchange for the eland and zebra.

One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
Who is providing the backing for this enterprise? Or are the Duckworths funding it themselves?

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://allafrica.com/stories/201310010991.html

Mozambique: Gile National Reserve Receiving Buffaloes
30 September 2013

Maputo — The Gile National Reserve in Zambezia province is in the process of receiving about 50 buffaloes from the northern province of Niassa.

According to Radio Mozambique, 22 buffaloes have so far been translocated - bringing the reserve's total to 45.

Once the process is completed, Gile will have seventy buffaloes according to the reserve's technical advisor, Eric Blaten. He stated that this would be a significant gain for the province and the country.

The process of restocking buffaloes at Gile began last year in an attempt to avoid the species' extinction.

The reserve has the potential for breeding various animals, including elephants. However, one of the major challenges is the threat of poaching.

Gile National Reserve covers an area of around 210,000 hectares and is renowned for its exceptional biodiversity. It was set up in 1932 as a hunting reserve.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9376 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kathi:
http://allafrica.com/stories/201310010991.html

Mozambique: Gile National Reserve Receiving Buffaloes

30 September 2013

Maputo — The Gile National Reserve in Zambezia province is in the process of receiving about 50 buffaloes from the northern province of Niassa.

According to Radio Mozambique, 22 buffaloes have so far been translocated - bringing the reserve's total to 45.

Once the process is completed, Gile will have seventy buffaloes according to the reserve's technical advisor, Eric Blaten. He stated that this would be a significant gain for the province and the country.

The process of restocking buffaloes at Gile began last year in an attempt to avoid the species' extinction.

The reserve has the potential for breeding various animals, including elephants. However, one of the major challenges is the threat of poaching.

Gile National Reserve covers an area of around 210,000 hectares and is renowned for its exceptional biodiversity. It was set up in 1932 as a hunting reserve.

This is good..too bad they can get any down to C-9...a bit too far from Niassa I suspect. It seems like Mozambique is headed in the right direction generally speaking.