New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kids on safari
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
RUNAS' question on a "cheap" hunt in Namibia prompts this question from me.

I'm planning to go to Namibia either '07 or '08. Originally, I was just going myself, but then, I got married and decided to take my new wife. Now, her two kids are in the loop, too.

My question is about the kids (9 and 10 now). Would I be charged the same observer rate for them as for my wife? If so, that would add up to $500-600/day for the 4 of us. Eeker

Airfare alone is going to be on the order of $10K.

It doesn't sound like I'm going to get away with under $20 for the trip. Frowner

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fischer....

Some operators might give a two for one observer rate for the kids if you ask real nicely. Wink

Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not sure, but it seems like I have seen some companies advertising no daily rates for kids under 12. You might try looking around at some different companies.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have taken observers twice. If you work with your agent or safari company, explain what you want to do, they usually work with you. That has been my experience on my two trips.

The "problem" came up when my observers decided to shoot some critters - no problem as I was hoping they would - but it did cost more. Deal straight with your host and things should work out.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
Fischer,

You might want to get in touch with Hannes du Plessis who owns/operates Bergzicht Game Lodge. I met Hannes a year or so ago through a mutual friend who had an excellent hunt with him in 2004. Hannes spent the weekend a few weeks ago with us and my wife and daughters really enjoyed his company. So much so I inquired with him about the possibility of bringing my kids to his place. He welcomed the idea. He has daughters about the same age has your wife's kids. I feel certain that he would work something out with you. He said his wife Geraldine would work in day trips in and around the Windhoek area while the rest of the party was hunting.

I decided to put off the full family trip until the kids were a little older and I could pull off a longer stay in Africa, and am in the process of booking another "me, me, me" trip with Vaughan, but I am looking forward to a day in the future when I take the whole family.

George

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Good for you taking kids on safari. Everyone should take kids hunting. Otherwise I fear it won't be around for long.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
On some of the game farms in South Africa the PH lives at his base camp with wife and small children. They would probably be the most receptive to the idea and would know what taking care of children in that environment requires. I think you should contact the PHs directly. One you can contact, who does have his wife and small children at his camp is, Jan Dumon near Hoedspruit: mwshumba@mweb.co.za

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:
Otherwise I fear it won't be around for long.

Why do you say that?

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've taken family before and it was something everybody will always remember. our guy charges like 1 1/2 times the regular observer rate. You have to know that the observer is really a profitable situation for the outfitter, about all it costs is some extra food.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote