Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mark Sullivan Videos
 Login/Join

posted
Anyone ever seen these? Ive seen 2 of them that i borrowed from a friend but I want to get some more. Anyone know a good place to get em? "IN THE FACE OF DEATH" is the newest one i really want to see.
http://www.nitroexpress.tv/

one of us
posted Hide Post
lollol- I have the set and would also part with it. The one you are interested in has no new footage, which was a huge disapointment.I have been told that the reason for this is that MS has not been able to secure a "filming license" from Tan. While agreeing with all said above, the MS footage still puts skid marks over all others in terms of quality camera work.

Posts: 1338 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Save yourself some money and buy them from the Westley Richards website for $19.00US@. I agree with Saeed's friend.

How come MS never tempts a lion or leopard the way he does buffalo & hippo?

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
lollol,

Yes, I have the complete set of his videos. They are all good. However, his latest, "In The Face of Death" is about 95% comentary and 5% hunting. He makes some good points, at least in his point of view, but I guess I was just looking for a little something different.

Sullivan has a unique flare and it's a real "hoot' to watch any of his hunts. In some situations, he approaches and may even "cross the line" in some of his tactics but, he is a "showman" and plays to his audience and his videos are great entertainment. And, in some cases they are informative. Take them for what they are worth. At their worst they can give you a "terrible" African bug! At their best, they are the best African hunting films available. In 1998, I got a "bootleg" copy of Death on the Run from a friend. Ultimately, that "free" videotape cost me almost $75,000 (three safaris and deposit on a fourth for 2005). If you're gonna play, you're gonna pay!

You can order them of his internest site, www.nitroexpresstv.com

bull1

Posts: 405 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I could be wrong but I smell troll....

lollol = laugh out loud laugh out loud

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

"The Sullivan you THINK you know from the videos is by no means an accurate picture of the man and a true image of what he does on a day-to-day basis on safari."

Allen,

I don't know Mr. Sullivan and I have not hunted with him. HOWEVER, the image that Mr. Sullivan portrays in his videos is the image that HE chooses to project. I have seen a couple of his videos and I, frankly, don't care for the image he projects/portrays. And, as Mr. Sullivan markets his videos to the hunting public of which I'm one, then I think that qualifies me to express an opinion on the content of his videos that I have seen. IMHO, it's just too much machismo with an overdose of testosterone. That's just my opinion but I'm entitled to it.

Respectfully,

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I have six of them. If you want them (all are in good shape), I'll send them to you postpaid for $110. I just bought them from a fellow AR guy and, after having seen them (with mixed emotions), will pass them along to you (or to whomever so forks over the bucks).

My copies are:

Africas's Black Death

Mbogo

Sudden Death

Death on the Run

Death at my Feet

Shot to Death

and...

Throwing up on my VCR????

Posts: 7609 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I;ve nerver hunted with Mark Sullivan, but I have met him in person, matter of fact, Allen introduced me to him and I always make it a point to stop and say hello at SCI. In my business, judging character is a requirement and Mark strikes me as the kind of guy I'd want on my "wing" when the going gets tough. The man's eyes "glow" with an intensity, let's just say, don't piss him off! Regarding his videos, he had a mission which was to sell videos and that he accomplished in spades. If he approaches his hunting with the same zeal, I'd hunt with him anytime. jorge

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
You will probably enjoy watching them, but they have absolutely nothing to do with hunting in the real world.

The likelyhood of one getting charged by a buffalo is so remote, but of course, MS makes it like a routine occurance.

I shot a few buffalos last month, some of them ran off into very long grass, where one can stand 10 feet from a buffalo and not see him.

One of my friends who was with us kept saying "Mark Sullivan, where are you? THIS is buffalo hunting, not your version of walking up to a wounded buffalo in the open and encouraging him to charge."

Posts: 67573 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I am sorry but i am Not a troll. I dont know why it put my username as lollol...I put another name it but it gave me this one. I AM NOT HERE to troll. Anyhow

Can somone give me a link to the westely richard site with the videos for that cheap.. That would be nice. Judge would you like to sell some individualy? I might want to buy two of them. I cant afford to get them all right now. Thanks guys for the replys. I am new here and didnt know about the whole MS thing goin on.

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
lollol, or whomever you tried to post as:

Send me a p.m with your address and I'll send all six to you. Pay me when you can. I've not been ripped off here, and don't think you will be my first... and if so... I'll send M.S. after you.

Personally, I don't know M.S. from U.P.S. I'll defer to Mr. Day's judgment, of course and will ask Allen to introduce me if we three happen to be in the same place sometime. It does seem that folks who know him well don't complain about his character, so he's probably one of the good guys, albeit a quite commercial one.

Still, I don't agree with his "letting the animal decide" stuff (if he really so believes) or the multiple deaths, bang, bang, bang... one right after the other on the intros of his videos. I'm more of an Aldo Leopold kind of guy. I guess what I'm saying is that if I see a wounded buffalo at 40 yards, I'm going to break his neck right then. An irate wife after me with a divorce complaint and liquored up pulpwooders in logging trucks provide all the danger I need. And I'd break their necks at 40 yards, too, if I thought I could get away with it. Now, I'll bet I could sell some of those videos.

I also wonder why he and his clients always seemed to use solids when their effectiveness didn't appear (at least to my simple mind) up to par with what a Barnes-X would do... at least on the first shot. His client's rifles, and even his .577 and .600 Nitro's looked like they just polked a big hole through buffalo after buffalo (and not really creating internal havoc) unless the CNS was hit. BTW, Alan, what are M.S.'s feelings about solids/softs?

I do enjoy the videos about once a year. Someone else ready for their annual dose?

Posts: 7609 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I know Mark pretty well, and have for the last ten years. We hunt together here in the states, I'm hunting with him again next season in Tanzania, and he and I have always gotten along extremely well. I hunted with Mark in 1995, and one of my buffalo hunts from that safari, as well as my leopard from that safari are in his video "Sudden Death".

To this day, that safari is the very best hunt I've ever been on in my life, and I consider Sullivan to be the best professional hunter I've ever been in the bush with. The Sullivan you THINK you know from the videos is by no means an accurate picture of the man and a true image of what he does on a day-to-day basis on safari. Mark uses excellent judgement, has an incredible work eithic, a positive attitude, and gets his clients incredibly good trophy animals. Every day is a happy day on safari with Mark.

I'm the only hunter here on AR who has actually hunted with Sullivan (or admits to it), knows Mark Sullivan as a friend -- and coincidentally -- I'm the only one here who ever has the guts to stand up and defend him. As far as I'm concerned, the critics are largely a collection of remote-control jockeys who don't know him, and who are largely talking out the side of their mouths.

AD

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I know Mark pretty well, and have for the last ten years. We hunt together here in the states, I'm hunting with him again next season in Tanzania, and he and I have always gotten along extremely well. I hunted with Mark in 1995, and one of my buffalo hunts from that safari, as well as my leopard from that safari are in his video "Sudden Death".

To this day, that safari is the very best hunt I've ever been on in my life, and I consider Sullivan to be the best professional hunter I've ever been in the bush with. The Sullivan you THINK you know from the videos is by no means an accurate picture of the man and a true image of what he does on a day-to-day basis on safari. Mark uses excellent judgement, has an incredible work eithic, a positive attitude, and gets his clients incredibly good trophy animals. Every day is a happy day on safari with Mark.

I'm the only hunter here on AR who has actually hunted with Sullivan (or admits to it), knows Mark Sullivan as a friend -- and coincidentally -- I'm the only one here who ever has the guts to stand up and defend him. As far as I'm concerned, the critics are largely a collection of remote-control jockeys who don't know him, and who are largely talking out the side of their mouths.

AD

Allen,

I genuinely appreciate your posts on the MS threads as I know you are likely the only one here that can provide the other side of the story.

I also place a lot of weight on your opinion on this topic because although I have never met you I believe you are a straight shooter and that has been corroborated by our mutual friends.

For these reasons, I have to ask you the following...is the commentary on MS's videos truly indicative of his way of thinking, or is it intended to sell videos?

Despite the fact that I am sure (based on your character reference alone) that he is a great hunter/PH/man in real life, I don't think I could ever hunt with or even respect someone that says and does the things that his videos clearly portray.

WRT his videos, I enjoy them from an entertainment and educational standpoint. I just turn the volume down so I don't have to listen to the MS philosophy about the "proper way to hunt buffalo", "the way it is supposed to be done in the bush".

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark who?

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
lollol,
Since you are new, you are probably wondering about some of the responses to your post. MS is not one of the favorites of this forum. Like you when I first saw his videos, I thought they were really exciting and he was Superman. But as you hang around this forum and learn more from real hunters, you will see that MS is to hunting what Evel Knevel is to motorcycling. His videos are made for thrills and are stunts (like walking intentionally in the line of sight of a wounded buff just to incite a charge) and are not really about hunting. Wouldn't mind taking some of the safaris he's been on tho
Russ

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.westleyrichards.com/

I didn't see where the tapes are listed on their web site.

-Bob F.

<allen day>
posted
Canuck, the most honest and shortest possible answer to your question is, yes, Sullivan means what he says in his videos as well as his book. And yes, I do understand and respect your position.

Mark is anything but stupid, and he won't put a client in harm's way unless a certain select client wants it that way, nor will he dumbly approach an impossible situation. When I hunted with Mark, he used utmost caution, especially with lions, and I simply can't fault anything he did. For example, there where times when we were in a high-grass buffalo area where everyone was required to stayed in the Landcruiser, simply because it was too risky to proceed on foot. If anything, Sullivan goes out of his way in many little and big ways to look after the well-being of the client, and contrary to popular opinion, he isn't out to shoot a client's game for him. When I hunted with him, I shot all my own animals myself. But if something is hit around the edges, Mark will surely shoot if in his judgement that's appropriate.

Personally, I'm not interested in buffalo charges, I just want to hunt straight-up. That's the only way I'll play it with Mark or anyone else.

I have a photo on my loading bench of Sullivan, Jorge and myself at an SCI convention in Reno. Hopefully, some of us can get together at the upcoming 2005 convention, and if anyone is interested in a personal introduction to Mark, I'd be happy to oblige.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I don't know about Dallas, but I've seen him at SCI hawking his videos.

Posts: 13501 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jugde,

I've sent you a PM and an E-mail. I must admitt curosity is getting the best of me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
lollol,

Sorry about the Wesley Richards site. They were there for sale about 6 weeks ago.

I also believe Allen when he says that he is a credible PH, he may know what he can get away with on each client. However I won't change my mind on the damaging image he creates of hunters torturing animals under the assumption that they have human feelings and need to die trying to fight or flee. I haven't seen all of his videos, but would love to see him giving a lion or leopard the same chance.

Is it true that he isn't allowed at the Dallas Safari Club shows because of these tapes?

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I respect the opinions of every man who has posted to this thread and have stated, earlier on, that I admire Mr. Sullivan in many respects. With that, my personal feeling is that, as ethical hunters, we strive from day one to learn to hunt with efficiency and effectiveness, selecting the finest tools we might afford, to further that end. The intentional delay in the dispatchment of a game animal is a bitter pill for most, even on such occasions where delays emerge in the interest of safety. But to enhance the possibility of delay in the interest of the philosophical, more so, the theatrical, is inherently wrong. The most haunting sequence I've ever seen in a hunting film is that of Mr. Sullivan and client engaging the camera, with a freshly spined buffalo, in all his immobile fury, at their backs.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I wonder if someone can shed some light on a rumor I have been hearing for a few years.

He was supposed to have hunted on a block, after he finished, they found over 20 dead buffalo which have been wounded and left behind.

The owner of the block had a fist fight with MS after that, or so the rumor goes.

It would be interesting to find out of any of these rumors are true or not.

Posts: 67573 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Where have I read this before?

1. Rookie (or troll) amazed at MS video(s).
2. Several bad-mouth MS videos.
3. Allen to the rescue.
4. Some relent on the bad-mouthing.
5. More bad-mouthing.
6. Allen tries again.
7. More bad-mouthing:

MS invokes charges and bad feelings. MS may be getting rich but it is pure bullshit, regardless of how anyone tries to spin it.

Posts: 19337 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

.....I have been told that the reason for this is that MS has not been able to secure a "filming license" from Tan. ....

Indeed over his 10- 12 years in Tanzania he has been kicked out form one concession to the other and has more or less run out of "friend" that would let him hunt their block!
The "famous" Moyowosi blocks shown in his earlier films have surely felt the brunt of his tactics! Speaking to some of his former gunbearers of those years reveals some interesting background into the "ethics" of the man.

Unfortunately, there will always be a concession holder that is unable to amrket himself and will succumb to MS's offer to sublease his block to him. I ams ure that MS is an able ph, probably amongst the best around ( )....if only he would forego his ambition to be a "moviestar" I believe he would be much more respected.

I read his book and, quite frankly, nothing he wrote convinced me that his "way of hunting" is the only correct, ethical way. But that is just my opinion.....

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,
That event was with Pano Calavarez and one of our posters, Adam Clemments...I know it took place, but do not know all the details. I have been told the story by a number of well known PHs that have hunted for Pano and Adam and Adam himself has related the event to me...I won't relate that story as I have only hearsay, and that certainly gets challanged on the internet..

I known that MS is a good hunter and very knowledgable, as to his ethics, they have certainly been questioned..I also know he has been in trouble with Governments on more than one ocassion, both in Canada and in Tanzania..He seems to handle those problems in Tanzania, no big surprise, but didn't fare so well in Canada, got kicked out.

Most of his clientele are very impressed with him and that speaks well of him I suppose, but if he sucked up to me the way he does his clients on his tapes and if he shot my buffalo, I'd get a bit agrivated with him..

I am just passing this on for what its worth, Its not something that I will concern myself with more than about 5 minutes, one way or the other...

Posts: 42004 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Saeed, those are rumors, nothing more. Mark doesn't leave dead critters strewn around the bush. With him, you follow-up and finish what you shoot, and you take home what you shoot. You don't leave a so-so trophy to rot and go off looking for a better one. What you shoot is your trophy, pure and simple.

There are lots of Sullivan rumors that get started for some rather transparent reasons. A number of years ago, someone came out with the rumor that Mark had been done-in by a lion, and this rumor came back to Mark's wife in Arizona while he was on safari. She lived with this image in her mind for at least a week until she learned otherwise, and I'd like to know who the sonofabitch was who started that rumor myself. I first heard that very yarn from a book vendor at a gunshow here in Oregon in June of 1994, who giddily passed the news on to me. My reply was, "That's odd, because I just had dinner with him last week in Scottsdale", which was the truth.

Will, what's "bullshit" are armchair quarterbacks. I know this: Sullivan has been completely honest, straight, fair and has knocked himself out for me in every way for as long as I've known him. As far as my association with him goes, he's been a true friend, as has been his wife and family. They are classy, honorable people to deal with and to know.

Maybe I'm funny, but I've got a lot of hard bark on me, and I'll stand by my friends to the bitter end, and to heck with the consequences. I'm not some chickenshit who'll stand on the sidelines, hide behind a phony handle, and pretend I don't know someone in the face of public sentiment, especially when some of what passes for fact is based upon ignorance and idle speculation. I don't need to come to Mark's rescue -- he's more than capable of standing up for himself on any terms.

AD

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
lollol,
I apologize if you were asking an honest question. There have been many threads started like this by people just looking for kicks. With that log-in name it looked suspicious.

Great hunting with great hunters,
Kyler

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Allen,

I have no axe to grind here. But waiting around to dispatch the buff, in an effort to get it to charge, as portrayed in his videos, is poor form, in my opinion.

Posts: 19337 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw one MS video and my opinion was the same as most: what a crock of BS.

Anyone who doesn't keep shooting until the animal is dead is pretty pathetic...especially when it is being filmed.

Sullivan may be a great PH, but the character he portrays on his videos, and the one that will live on well after his death, leaves a lot to be desired.

Posts: 7576 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Will- What I have often wondered is how "rich" can he make himself in this tiniest hunting market. How many "units " can he sell? And for that nickle and dime bottom line, suffer all the critics? It does not make sense.And, was it Mark Twain who said "Common sense ain't so common"???

one of us
posted Hide Post
Allen- I like the way you stand up for your pal. You mention that you do not condone induced charges. Yet that is the very essence of Mr. Sullivans marketing technique.

posted Hide Post
Wow i started something big....I cant wait till I can see these movies!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Allen, I must first take issue with your statement that you are the only one on AR to take up for Mark, check some of my previous posts.
I have not hunted with Mark, but I have met him and talked to him a couple of times. I have seen all of his videos up to "Death at My Feet". I have read his book.
There is no evidence in his videos that he or his clients intentionally wound any animals. As to his getting close to the animal on the follow up before shooting, ask your self which is the quicker death, blasting the animal at 40 yards letting him run some more, or closing in and making a CNS ending it right there. After all you are KILLING an animal, do not give me that Hollier than Thou attidude. As to allowing the animal to charge, I think that is a personal thing. When hunting "DANGEROUS GAME" where is the danger if you do not get close. It is an indiviual thing. I have no desire to shoot a Buff at 60 yards, where is the thrill, what is the challange? I must admit I like to be close.
There has been so many rumors about Mark I must defer to Allen and my own contact with Mark to form my opinion.
I do know one thing If I had to go into a garage after an escaped [insert one, Tiger, Lion, Buff, etc.] Mark would be my first pick.
It is one thing to hunt game, it is another just to shoot it.

PS. If you watch all of his videos closely in the order they were made you will see a progression of his "technique". You will also see how he "PLANS" his followup to stack the ods in the favor of the hunter as much as possible.
I recently used his technique to save my live and the life of several others when a dangerous animal escaped from his habitat at a zoo. I will comment more on this when the official investigation is complete, and I am able to do so, but there is no doubt in my mint that the "Sullivan Technique" Saved my live and the life of several others.
No matter what you think of Mark, if you hunt Dangerous Game you should watch all of his videos [several times] and know HIS TECHNIQUE, it just might save your bacon.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NE:

Sullivan lets the buffalo suffer while he waits for them to charge. What kind of BS is that?

You keep shooting until the thing dies. You, Allen, and Jorge like the guy. Wonderful. Most of us here seem to think the guy is a slimeball. It seems none of us are going to change the other's opinion.

Posts: 7576 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JefferyDenmark,
The only person with "cajones grande" in a Mark Sullivan production is the camera man, and his are also inversely proportional in size to the amount of money he stands to gain, just like MS.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nickudu,
The sentiments are mutual, and it speaks volumes of you too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
JCN,
Pheasant and bison next month, yep. I'll be all over SD and NE.

BTW, I have seen three of the MS videos. In the latest one I saw, MS seemed to have slurred speech and subtle signs of deteriorating neurologic status. He was older, graying, but I am wondering about whether he was just tipsy from booze the last time I saw him spouting off on tape, or what?

His long career of animal torture may yet come to a fitting end.

As for anyone who thinks I should not use the handle RIP, well, I don't give a rip.

one of us
posted Hide Post
tommy,
Don't hold your breath for MS to answer to the rumors and gossip. Good request though. Now let us wait for the indignant with their panties in a knot to jump on me again. I'll duck behind the internet backyard fence and wait for the screams to start up again. Tee hee.